TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Guy Messing With My Charge Port

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by GooseSerbus, Jul 14, 2019.

1. GooseSerbus

GooseSerbus Member

I was parked at a public charger overnight when a random guy walked up and Sentry mode activated. It recorded him checking out the interior front and back (nothing was on display) before messing with the charge port. Not appreciated. This was all the shots of him that Sentry mode recorded, I guess he walked off after this and there did not appear to be any damage to the charge port.

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

With the J1772 adaptor they can actually remove the plug and the adaptor will remain locked in .. I bought a locking collar from Evannex as I had this happen to me a few times where another person removed the plug to use in their car ;)

• Like x 2
  3. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

Looks like an admirer to me. Like he was curious what the interior looked like and how the charging worked. Probably trying to figure out what the car looked like with the charging port door closed. Didn't look malicious.

For all we know he was on Tesla.com configuring a Model 3 after that.

• Like x 4
  4. GooseSerbus

GooseSerbus Member

Fortunately, he didn't unplug it as it continued charging for another few hours and it was still plugged in when I went to pick it up, it appears he was just messing with the charge port door.

5. Tjex

Tjex Member

Someone unplugged your char to charge theirs? Seriously?

• Disagree x 2
  6. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Hmmm. You’re more optimistic than I am. Random people should not be touching other people’s cars (I would make an exception for plugging in a Tesla that was parked in a supercharger spot without charging lol)

• Like x 2
  7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Yes it happens ;)

8. BerTX

BerTX Supporting Member

Many other EVs have an indication that they are charging, usually a blinking light somewhere. Tesla opted not to do so so that it would not attract attention.

Owners of other EVs think that, because the car is not blinking, that it is not charging so you are the a-hole taking up the equipment and not charging. They can unplug the cable to use it, so they do.

It has happened to me and I was upset (especially since it was a plug-in hybrid owner who unplugged me), but now I'm more understanding.

• Informative x 1
  9. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Why didn't sentry mode sound off and scare him away?

10. TT97

TT97 Active Member

The other day I was charging in a location that had two EV charge stations but mine was the only one working. When I went to leave, there was a Bolt next to me plugged in but I knew it was not charging - I pulled out my plug and decided to swap out the Bolt's plug with mine knowing my worked.

Even though I knew his station didn't work and was helping him out, I still felt strangely guilty doing that. Honestly, I don't even know if the Bolt would automatically start charging connecting to the new station.

11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

He wasn’t doing anything to trigger that, clearly. He barely touched the car; looks more like caressing than anything else.

Obviously, this is an admirer. Sentry Mode did its job by alerting the owner via the APP. Nothing more required.

And no, I don’t think it’s appropriate for people to touch other people’s property without permission but alas we don’t live in that world where people respect each other and their things.