Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guy Messing With My Charge Port

GooseSerbus

Jul 23, 2018
Montreal QC
I was parked at a public charger overnight when a random guy walked up and Sentry mode activated. It recorded him checking out the interior front and back (nothing was on display) before messing with the charge port. Not appreciated. This was all the shots of him that Sentry mode recorded, I guess he walked off after this and there did not appear to be any damage to the charge port.

P85_DA

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 25, 2015
CA
With the J1772 adaptor they can actually remove the plug and the adaptor will remain locked in .. I bought a locking collar from Evannex as I had this happen to me a few times where another person removed the plug to use in their car ;)

dhanson865

Feb 16, 2013
Knoxville, Tennessee
I was parked at a public charger overnight when a random guy walked up and Sentry mode activated. It recorded him checking out the interior front and back (nothing was on display) before messing with the charge port. Not appreciated. This was all the shots of him that Sentry mode recorded, I guess he walked off after this and there did not appear to be any damage to the charge port.

Looks like an admirer to me. Like he was curious what the interior looked like and how the charging worked. Probably trying to figure out what the car looked like with the charging port door closed. Didn't look malicious.

For all we know he was on Tesla.com configuring a Model 3 after that.

GooseSerbus

Jul 23, 2018
Montreal QC
Fortunately, he didn't unplug it as it continued charging for another few hours and it was still plugged in when I went to pick it up, it appears he was just messing with the charge port door.

ChrisH

Jun 4, 2013
Milton, wa
Looks like an admirer to me. Like he was curious what the interior looked like and how the charging worked. Probably trying to figure out what the car looked like with the charging port door closed. Didn't look malicious.

For all we know he was on Tesla.com configuring a Model 3 after that.

Hmmm. You’re more optimistic than I am. Random people should not be touching other people’s cars (I would make an exception for plugging in a Tesla that was parked in a supercharger spot without charging lol)

BerTX

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
Someone unplugged your char to charge theirs? Seriously?
Many other EVs have an indication that they are charging, usually a blinking light somewhere. Tesla opted not to do so so that it would not attract attention.

Owners of other EVs think that, because the car is not blinking, that it is not charging so you are the a-hole taking up the equipment and not charging. They can unplug the cable to use it, so they do.

It has happened to me and I was upset (especially since it was a plug-in hybrid owner who unplugged me), but now I'm more understanding.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA

TT97

Aug 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The other day I was charging in a location that had two EV charge stations but mine was the only one working. When I went to leave, there was a Bolt next to me plugged in but I knew it was not charging - I pulled out my plug and decided to swap out the Bolt's plug with mine knowing my worked.

Even though I knew his station didn't work and was helping him out, I still felt strangely guilty doing that. Honestly, I don't even know if the Bolt would automatically start charging connecting to the new station.

Krugerrand

Enough of the 🐩, back to 🐈‍⬛
Jul 13, 2012
Tesla friendly place
Why didn't sentry mode sound off and scare him away?

He wasn’t doing anything to trigger that, clearly. He barely touched the car; looks more like caressing than anything else.

Obviously, this is an admirer. Sentry Mode did its job by alerting the owner via the APP. Nothing more required.

And no, I don’t think it’s appropriate for people to touch other people’s property without permission but alas we don’t live in that world where people respect each other and their things.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC