Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Guys.. don't skip annual inspection.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know. It's electric and don't need inspection and some people are at 100k miles and the car is fine. I bought the 8 year annual inspection when I bought the car and each year i'm thinking about just getting it refund. So Tuesday I drop my car for my 2 year inspection.

End of the day got a call that they found some problem with the suspension and the battery louver.

"Rear toe links loose, leaking LH rear shock, both rear bearings are loose as well at RH
front bearing."

and

"RH condenser louver assembly inoperative found during inspection. Replaced louver
assembly."

At final.. 3 bearing assembly, 1 rear coil spring module and 1 active louver assembly got replaced. I know each bearing is around 800$ canadian. No clue for the coilspring module and the active louver.

I'm at 57k kilometers. God i'm happy that they found that before my warranty end, and now i'm thinking about buying the extended warranty -_-

Meh, seems I have to fix shocks and bearings every 2 years or so on each of my ICE cars :Þ That's a normal wear item caught at our annually mandated inspections. And you should notice when supercharging if one louver is open and the other isn't. The consequences of an inoperative louver would be slower supercharging, as it's temperature limited. If you didn't notice the symptom, then no problem.

And you should notice when supercharging if one louver is open and the other isn't. The consequences of an inoperative louver would be slower supercharging, as it's temperature limited. If you didn't notice the symptom, then no problem.
Really? I was driving my Model S for four years before I knew that the car had louvers. I didn't even know what a louver was until I was told at annual service that one was broken. So how should I have noticed that? As for slower supercharging, most people don't know if it's a car problem or a supercharger problem, and assume it's a supercharger problem (which it usually is) if they even notice a different rate at all. So no, I don't agree that if you didn't notice the symptom then there's no problem.

As cars get more electronic, I suspect it's going to be a lot like owning a newer cellphone or computer...lots of things you never knew you had or could do with it. I mean how many people read manuals these days (or ever did--although while waiting for the car to be delivered did read through ours). We have a refresh 2017 MS and not sure if this is something visible. Guess I'll have to go outside and check it out LOL. Thanks for the video. I've heard of louvers (mentioned from a sound standpoint) but never really gave them a second thought.

My louvers open up when I first plug in the car for any charging but then close. This morning they were open when I got in the garage and the battery was already fully charged.

It's a good way to check if they work as I heard some have had theirs go bad.

Mine needed it's 50k. Brakes were getting spongy. They did the flush and bleed and all was well again. They also did some suspension work on mine too - tightened some bolts or something.

Suspension? Loose bolts? Really?

Meh, seems I have to fix shocks and bearings every 2 years or so on each of my ICE cars :Þ That's a normal wear item caught at our annually mandated inspections. And you should notice when supercharging if one louver is open and the other isn't. The consequences of an inoperative louver would be slower supercharging, as it's temperature limited. If you didn't notice the symptom, then no problem.

Really? I have never ever had to fix shocks or bearings on any of my cars. This is surprising.

Really? I have never ever had to fix shocks or bearings on any of my cars. This is surprising.

Without invoking a certain Tesla Short (Keef or Loose Wheels or whatever), I have seen several reports of folks having to have suspension parts serviced within the warranty periods. There are a couple of TSBs out there as well. The CPO we JUST bought last Friday had to be towed in for what I thought was just a power steering issue. Tesla had called and said they needed the car for the rest of the week and when I quizzed them about it today, a tie rod replacement was mentioned. The car has 29K miles.

Its possible this is all driven from the fact that Tesla had to use lesser tier suppliers for the Model S due to their small volume (the big players weren't interested in the tiny Tesla back then).

Chicagoland vs. Iceland. I think that's your answer ;)

Plus, I always drive old cars. The newest car I've ever owned was half a decade old when I got it. My current two are a 2001 Insight and a 1993 Ford Ranger ;) Buying a new car here, this is a serious exception I'm making with the M3. I've wanted to go electric for way too long. Tried with Aptera and they went under. Take two....

They've had to replace wheel bearings for me too and do other TSBs on the suspension. I honestly have never had to replace a wheel bearing on any car I've ever owned, including some that had 2x the miles as the Tesla when it needed this work. And I drove them 3x as hard

Meh, seems I have to fix shocks and bearings every 2 years or so on each of my ICE cars :

Seriously? What are you driving? I used to have to change out shocks on good old American-built cars in the 70's and 80's, but I had a Saab and Volvo and each had only one set of shocks/struts in 25 years and 200,000 miles. And one of the shock replacements wasn't necessary. I had broken a front axle, so I told them to swap in new struts since they had one wheel completely disassembled.