Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GW2 dropping Ethernet interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

slcasner

Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2011
Sunnyvale, CA
Twice my GW2 has stopped using the Ethernet interface, claiming that it is "configured but not connected; check cable". The first time was a day after installation about a month ago and the second was yesterday evening. Both times I could see the Ethernet link lights blinking on both ends, from which I infer that the cable is OK. The GW2 switches over to the WiFi interface and doesn't switch back. This time the IP address of the WiFi interface was different than it was originally, so DHCP must have dropped somewhere along the way. (I have now fixed the assignment to that MAC address.) A few times in the intervening weeks power has been removed from the box that is both the Ethernet switch to which the cable connects and WiFi access point adjacent to the GW2, and in all instances the GW2 continued to use the Ethernet interface. I notice that the firmware is now 21.44; perhaps it was updated last evening and that caused the change.

There have been several posts about trouble with WiFi; anyone else having trouble with hardwire Ethernet?

The Wi-Fi issue was for people with Gateway 1's as they use 3G.

Using 3G has nothing to do with troubles that people have reported with making WiFi work. And in any case that's not relevant to OP's problem, which has more to do with Ethernet.

@slcasner just to clarify, the thing on the other end of the cable from the GW2...is that an ISP-provided router with a DHCP server for your network? Or is the DHCP server somewhere else on the network?

Bruce.

Twice my GW2 has stopped using the Ethernet interface, claiming that it is "configured but not connected; check cable". The first time was a day after installation about a month ago and the second was yesterday evening. Both times I could see the Ethernet link lights blinking on both ends, from which I infer that the cable is OK. The GW2 switches over to the WiFi interface and doesn't switch back. This time the IP address of the WiFi interface was different than it was originally, so DHCP must have dropped somewhere along the way. (I have now fixed the assignment to that MAC address.) A few times in the intervening weeks power has been removed from the box that is both the Ethernet switch to which the cable connects and WiFi access point adjacent to the GW2, and in all instances the GW2 continued to use the Ethernet interface. I notice that the firmware is now 21.44; perhaps it was updated last evening and that caused the change.

There have been several posts about trouble with WiFi; anyone else having trouble with hardwire Ethernet?
Why not assign a static IP to hardline MAC? This way your WIFI DHCP wont interfere.

For hardwired Ethernet, be sure to check your cable runs and look for kinks or sharp bends. They matter. Don't forget to check that both connectors are well seated in their sockets, that there isn't any foreign matter therein, nor on the cable ends, and that all of the wires in the socket are straight and sticking out the same amount. It is easy to take hardwired Ethernet for granted, but the details matter.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: jboy210
I am not familiar with the GW2 but I never let an access point handle DHCP, I let the router do that. In cases where the AP and router are in the same unit, all additional access points are set to pass through DHCP.

If you have the LG chipset in your Tesla (identified in the MAC address) 5 gig connections generally are problematic. I suggest a dedicated inexpensive 2.4g AP which will get you as much bandwidth as your car will ever need and are rock solid dependable.

@slcasner just to clarify, the thing on the other end of the cable from the GW2...is that an ISP-provided router with a DHCP server for your network? Or is the DHCP server somewhere else on the network?
The box in question is a NETGEAR 802.11ac Wireless Access Point Model WAC104 connected by hardwire Ethernet to the AT&T-provided router for U-Verse Internet service. The DHCP server is in the AT&T router. I have the GW2 connected to the WAC104 rather than the AT&T router due to physical proximity.
For hardwired Ethernet, be sure to check your cable runs and look for kinks or sharp bends. They matter. Don't forget to check that both connectors are well seated in their sockets, that there isn't any foreign matter therein, nor on the cable ends, and that all of the wires in the socket are straight and sticking out the same amount. It is easy to take hardwired Ethernet for granted, but the details matter.
Good points, but I believe the cable is in good condition. I ran it under the house myself, and I installed the connector onto the GW2 end of the cable myself. The other end terminates in a keystone jack, which is easier to wire than the male RJ45. Then there is a commercial patch cord from that jack to the WAC104. I have tried unplugging and reseating both ends, but I might have to reset the GW2 before it will try the Ethernet interface again after having switched to WiFi. Since the cable worked fine for a month I think it must be in reasonable shape at least.

The only times I have had trouble with Ethernet is when the cable or cable end failed. I think @arnolddeleon idea of trying laptop is good. Have the laptop run a constant ping or other connectivity and see if you have any dropouts. An alternative would be to temporarily run another cable between the router/switch to the GW and see if that resolves the issue.

If you have easy enough access to the ends just plug another wired device (e.g. a laptop) to the end of the cord at GW end to see if it works.
Good suggestion, but it did work fine with the GW for a month including a local monitoring program constantly accessing it.
The only times I have had trouble with Ethernet is when the cable or cable end failed. I think @arnolddeleon idea of trying laptop is good. Have the laptop run a constant ping or other connectivity and see if you have any dropouts. An alternative would be to temporarily run another cable between the router/switch to the GW and see if that resolves the issue.
Another good suggestion, but not easy since the cable in question goes underneath the house. Maybe I have a cable long enough to reach out a window...

Good suggestion, but it did work fine with the GW for a month including a local monitoring program constantly accessing it.

Another good suggestion, but not easy since the cable in question goes underneath the house. Maybe I have a cable long enough to reach out a window...
Let me if you need cable or wire for testing. You're pretty local to me ;-)

I tested by connecting my laptop in place of the GW2. Pings to that interface on the laptop worked fine at the normal 1s rate; an occasional loss occurred at 10/s, but considering that my laptop is memory-saturated with a bunch of apps, that is not surprising. When I plugged the cable back in to the GW2, there was no visible reaction for some seconds, then the green LED for link state started flashing and at the same time a green LED on the circuit board below the jack also came on.