TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Gwynne Shotwell

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

A recent speech and Q & A at the small satellite conference:

2. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Gwynne at the APSCC 2016 conference. Lots of useful data out of her concerning the company.

SpaceX's Shotwell on Falcon 9 inquiry, discounts for reused rockets and Silicon Valley's test-and-fail ethos - SpaceNews.com

Here's a big one: Shotwell also said Hawthorne, California-based SpaceX is offering a 10 percent discount to customers that agree to fly their payloads on reused Falcon 9 first stages.

Only a 10% discount for used stages. I wonder if some of that has to do with the recent anomaly and the monetary losses due to the downtime.

• Informative x 1
  3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I was expecting a bigger discount. Surely when SpaceX does a mission with a "CPO" ;) first stage their mission cost is reduced by much more than 10%?

4. drees

drees Active Member

If you read between the lines, it's pretty clear that they could offer a larger discount, but when you look at their launch backlog, they have way more demand than they can handle right now, so why not take the money and use it for more R&D?

• Like x 1
  5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

@drees, fair point, and I would agree with you if the recent explosion on the pad had not occurred. But right now I would think there is a lot of uncertainty about Falcon 9 reliability in the launch community, and I thought it might help SpaceX's launch schedule get back on track if they offered a bigger discount for launching on a landed first stage. But apparently SpaceX has confidence that a bigger discount isn't necessary. Good for them, and I truly hope their optimism is justified! The company has no bigger fan than me. :p

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

I agree with drees. Just like in the earlier days of the Tesla Model S, they can't build and launch rockets fast enough at SpaceX, so there is little need to discount. As they catch up to their backlog by opening up more launch pads, maybe they can then start more discounting to keep their pads full.

Besides, a used core is simply a core that has undergone heavier testing, isn't it? :). Maybe they should charge MORE for them!

If things keep going the way they are going, though, there might not be much competition in five years...