Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gwynne Shotwell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting the link to that video of Gwynne being interviewed at Stanford recently. As an obsessive SpaceX follower I usually don’t learn much from her public events, but I did pick up a few things from this one.

Her admission that while she handled the first F9 failure in 2015 pretty well, in terms of rallying the team and identifying the root cause of the failure, she did not handle the second F9 failure in 2016 very well because she let her worry and anxiety show too much. And that each failure, while not being a threat to the company’s existence did cost about half a billion dollars in lost hardware and operational delays.

She said that she would personally very much like to go to the Moon and land because it would only be for a few days and it’s a short trip back to Earth, but not interested in Mars because the over 3 year round trip time is just too long!

I love how she is on board with Elon's vision with Starship and Super Heavy. It's all about the company's goal of making life multi-planetary. She, like Elon, realizes that some of what they intend to achieve will take longer than her lifetime. And as much as the media and some politicians push about Elon being a greedy billionaire, they just cannot understand that his accumulation of wealth is about spending it to make humanity multi-planetary. Which has little to do with him going into space and definitely not about "escaping" Earth.

It's been confirmed that Elon is distracted by Twitter:

I hope that Gwynne does not get stretched to thin. Sounds like at the moment she is running the entire company. But she’s super smart and surely knows how to delegate. Maybe this is a good thing (I am resisting the urge to comment about Elon’s twitter antics…don’t go there in this thread!).
Assuming that Gwynne is worth her salt (and by all means and measures she appears to be), I don't think this is an issue. I mean, she's already President and COO, so making sure that Starship and Starport programs are on plan were probably her responsibility already.

Let Elon keep an eye on the big picture and solving tough technical problems (when he's not distracted by Twitter) and have Gwynne keep things in order. IMO both Tesla and Twitter need a Shotwell equivalent at each company.

Assuming that Gwynne is worth her salt (and by all means and measures she appears to be), I don't think this is an issue. I mean, she's already President and COO, so making sure that Starship and Starport programs are on plan were probably her responsibility already.

Won't be a huge impact for Gwynne to roll SS under her umbrella. Bill pretty much lives in Boca and owns a lot of the activities and Juncosa also got moved over to SS recently too. (That's not great for Starlink, but...you can't have a profitable starlink without starship, so...)

Reactions: Grendal
It’s not just Gwynne who has new responsibilities. From a CNBC report:

SpaceX president and COO Gwynne Shotwell and vice president Mark Juncosa – two of the most influential executives at the company aside from Musk himself – are now overseeing the facility and operations of the company's Starbase location, people familiar with the situation told CNBC.

Senior director of Starship operations Shyamal Patel is leaving the site to move to the company's Cape Canaveral facilities, after spending more than two years working on the next-generation rocket in Texas, those people said. Patel was previously based at the Cape, before a promotion and move to Starbase.

The space venture also quietly brought on Omead Afshar, a Texas-based Tesla operations lead, as a vice president of Starship production.
Wow, to go from building EVs to building Starships!

It's actually easy to spend $400 million per rocket. Just agree that you're going to build only 10 of them, and they all have to complete flawless flights.

That's how you spend $400 million per rocket. It doesn't matter who you are. That's artisan construction for you.

It's incredible that we're transitioning into the age of mass production of super heavy lift rockets. Consider the mass production of steel, of cars, of food, and so many other things that fundamentally changed the human experience. Then Elon throws reuse on top of it. Bonkers.

Hmmm. Reusable steel? Done. Reusable cars? Done. Reusable food? Hmmm.