Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

H.R.848 - GREEN Act of 2021 -- $7,000 tax credit for new Tesla may return this year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H.R.848 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): GREEN Act of 2021

Didn't see this being discussed anywhere else on this site, so I thought I put it here. (Note, I do see a thread that started in 2018 about the Green New Deal, but didn't seem relevant)

Anyway, this bill if passed would bring back the tax credit for new EV purchasers. If you're buying a Tesla then you may get up to a $7,000 credit. The bill was introduced on Feb 2.

Personally, I'm not going to order a Tesla until this goes into effect or not. No way I want to plunk down $40,000 then realize if I had waited two more months I'd be getting $7,000 "back" from the government.

My main reason for posting is in trying to get a handle on when this might happen. I signed up for alerts on congress.gov.

Anyone have a feel for how this will move along?

H.R.848 - 117th Congress (2021-2022): GREEN Act of 2021

Didn't see this being discussed anywhere else on this site, so I thought I put it here. (Note, I do see a thread that started in 2018 about the Green New Deal, but didn't seem relevant)

Anyway, this bill if passed would bring back the tax credit for new EV purchasers. If you're buying a Tesla then you may get up to a $7,000 credit. The bill was introduced on Feb 2.

Personally, I'm not going to order a Tesla until this goes into effect or not. No way I want to plunk down $40,000 then realize if I had waited two more months I'd be getting $7,000 "back" from the government.

My main reason for posting is in trying to get a handle on when this might happen. I signed up for alerts on congress.gov.

Anyone have a feel for how this will move along?

The last Green Act bill took 4 months to pass. I'm anxiously waiting for H.R. 848 to pass too before I buy a Tesla. It was introduced February 4 2021 so I'm hoping by the summer 2021

I have the same question, I can't find in the bill specifics about previously purchased cars. Tesla just raised the price of the Y by $500. A website speculates a 13% chance of the bill passing. Might pull the trigger this summer if the bill gets stalled.

Do we think the bill will cover cars bought from the date the bill is signed or for cars bought during the year the bill is signed?
The answer is no, I just found this statement; For manufacturers that pass the 200,000-vehicle threshold before the enactment of this bill, the number of vehicles sold in between 200,000 and those sold on the date of enactment are excluded to determine when the 600,000-vehicle threshold is reached.

The answer is no, I just found this statement; For manufacturers that pass the 200,000-vehicle threshold before the enactment of this bill, the number of vehicles sold in between 200,000 and those sold on the date of enactment are excluded to determine when the 600,000-vehicle threshold is reached.

For clarificatio. There is two different goals correct?

GREEN act - 7k tax incentive
Bill number same as thread number.

American Jobs Plan - 10k incentive, potentially an immediate point of sale discount? No bill number yet it has been proposed?

For clarificatio. There is two different goals correct?

GREEN act - 7k tax incentive
Bill number same as thread number.

American Jobs Plan - 10k incentive, potentially an immediate point of sale discount? No bill number yet it has been proposed?
My understanding is the Green Act and American Jobs Plan will be condensed into the Infrastructure Bill. Neither most likely will be passed separately unless not included in the Infrastructure Bill. Looks like Infra Bill is top priority so if not included, then don't expect them to gain traction this year. If included, don't expect them to stack $7,000 +$10,000. I'm sure there will be income limits and max car price limits too. It should be interesting how this unfolds.