Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

H&R Block 2019 missing form 8911, again (EV Charger Credit)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bah. Did the March 5 update just now, and no form 8911. Says next update in 3/23, but I'm not feeling confident.

I filled out an e-version of 8911. Suggestions on how to send along with my e-file from HR Block?
H&R Block has told some people that they (erroneously) deem 8911 to be a business-only form, so they don't intend to make it available for personal filings.

If you want to file 8911 along with your return using H&R Block, you'll need to print and mail your return.

Or use another tax preparation product that does support 8911.

• Informative
Reactions: turns2stone
H&R Block has told some people that they (erroneously) deem 8911 to be a business-only form, so they don't intend to make it available for personal filings.

If you want to file 8911 along with your return using H&R Block, you'll need to print and mail your return.

Or use another tax preparation product that does support 8911.

^^^ Yes, I can print and mail, along with my manually-completed 8911. But HR Block shows my "owed" amount of $1000 because it doesn't take into account the 8911. How can I manually override my amount due?

^^^ Yes, I can print and mail, along with my manually-completed 8911. But HR Block shows my "owed" amount of $1000 because it doesn't take into account the 8911. How can I manually override my amount due?
I haven't tried this myself, but I assume you can edit your 1040 form and manually override the amounts on the appropriate lines to reflect the form 8911 credit and then print out the modified return for manual filing? The app may throw up a bunch of warning messages that you're messing up the calculated amounts.

Another option would be to e-file your return without the 8911 and then file an amended return to include the 8911 credit. If you're getting a refund even without the 8911 credit, this will ensure you get some of your money back quickly and then deal with the remaining refund for the credit later via the slower amended return process.

I haven't tried this myself, but I assume you can edit your 1040 form and manually override the amounts on the appropriate lines to reflect the form 8911 credit and then print out the modified return for manual filing? The app may throw up a bunch of warning messages that you're messing up the calculated amounts.

Another option would be to e-file your return without the 8911 and then file an amended return to include the 8911 credit. If you're getting a refund even without the 8911 credit, this will ensure you get some of your money back quickly and then deal with the remaining refund for the credit later via the slower amended return process.

There’s no way to override the software to amend amounts, that I can tell. And since I owe (a little bit), I don’t feel like sending the IRS a check for an extra $1K.

So, I just bought TurboTax and will have to start all over :(

There’s no way to override the software to amend amounts, that I can tell. And since I owe (a little bit), I don’t feel like sending the IRS a check for an extra $1K.

So, I just bought TurboTax and will have to start all over :(

If you've already paid for H&R, you might be able to get your money back: Guarantees | H&R Block®

"If you are dissatisfied with the H&R Block tax preparation software for any reason before you file your return, H&R Block will refund the full purchase price you paid H&R Block or its authorized reseller for the software, exclusive of shipping and handling charges, taxes, and less any rebate you receive on the software."

If you've already paid for H&R, you might be able to get your money back: Guarantees | H&R Block®

"If you are dissatisfied with the H&R Block tax preparation software for any reason before you file your return, H&R Block will refund the full purchase price you paid H&R Block or its authorized reseller for the software, exclusive of shipping and handling charges, taxes, and less any rebate you receive on the software."
Yes, I argued with their chat agent for a bit earlier. Of course they insisted 8911 was for business only! I think I convinced them, and they sent me the info to mail in a refund request. So annoyed!

Reactions: willow_hiller
I was just able to create the filing for the (US IRS) Form 8911 EV charging installation tax credit using H&R Block PC version for 2020 taxes. It's a little counter-intuitive. First you have to get From 8911 from the IRS and fill it in (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf). The counter-intuitive part is that this credit number needs to go to Line 6 of Schedule 3 on a 1040 form and you cannot directly enter it. You have to select the option for "Other Business Credits" in the credits interview and then fill in Form 3800. Fill in Part iii at the bottom first entering your Form 8911 value on line 1s. Transfer that value to Line 1 of Part i. It will be transferred to line 6 of Form 1040 Schedule 3. Form 3800 and boxes a and c will be checked and the specific form will be shown as 8911. At least that's how it worked for me. I am not a CPA and this is not tax advice. Simply my experience on how I filed for the charger credit.

I was just able to create the filing for the (US IRS) Form 8911 EV charging installation tax credit using H&R Block PC version for 2020 taxes. It's a little counter-intuitive. First you have to get From 8911 from the IRS and fill it in (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf). The counter-intuitive part is that this credit number needs to go to Line 6 of Schedule 3 on a 1040 form and you cannot directly enter it. You have to select the option for "Other Business Credits" in the credits interview and then fill in Form 3800. Fill in Part iii at the bottom first entering your Form 8911 value on line 1s. Transfer that value to Line 1 of Part i. It will be transferred to line 6 of Form 1040 Schedule 3. Form 3800 and boxes a and c will be checked and the specific form will be shown as 8911. At least that's how it worked for me. I am not a CPA and this is not tax advice. Simply my experience on how I filed for the charger credit.
This is ridiculous that we have to do this. Cannot believe they don't just include the form. I appreciate you providing us instructions on how to overcome shortcomings of this software.
Thanks!

The form: About Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit | Internal Revenue Service

Not even mentioned on their website: Federal Tax Form Updates for Tax Preparation Software | H&R Block®

Anyone know if any competing products include it?

The initial response from their support chat is:

Since that form is not supported by our Do It Yourself products, you can file your return using our Tax Pro Review product, or at an H&R Block office.

Looks like this happened last year too, so they may yet fix it (regardless of what support says). Support says that they will try and put in a request.

I just can't see using a tax pro now that I don't itemize, heck it only takes 15 minutes to fill everything out.
I'm posting this on 11 March 2021: Download a hard copy of form 8911 from the IRS web site. Determine your 30% credit. In the H&R Block software open form No. 3800. Enter your 30% credit on line 1s. of part III. I found it necessary to also enter the value in line 1. of Part I. Your credit should now show up under "Other Business Credits".