Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

H&R Block 2019 missing form 8911, again (EV Charger Credit)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am very confused by this form. Line 10 says "do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9", but line 9 is specifically for a "business/investment use". I installed this HPWC for my own personal use, so does this form not actually apply? Everyone seems to think it does, but the form itself seems to be saying otherwise...

And, of course, I also use H&R Block, so they're no help.

The beginning of that line is critically important:

"Subtract line 2 from line 1. If zero, stop here; do not file this form unless you are claiming a credit on line 9"

In other words, "Take the total cost of the install and subtract the part you're claiming for your business. If you're claiming $0 for business and $0 for personal, stop here. Otherwise if you have some personal credit to claim, continue."

If you file your taxes now, without Form 8911, and then file a Form 1040X to amend your return, alongside Form 8911, it'll be pretty easy. Just follow the instructions on the IRS website for those two forms, and it's simple as pie. I did it on Friday night, to amend my 2018 return.

Amended returns take a lot longer to process, though. 8-12 weeks, apparently. So it may not be worth doing if you haven't already filed.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
If you file your taxes now, without Form 8911, and then file a Form 1040X to amend your return, alongside Form 8911, it'll be pretty easy. Just follow the instructions on the IRS website for those two forms, and it's simple as pie. I did it on Friday night, to amend my 2018 return.

Amended returns take a lot longer to process, though. 8-12 weeks, apparently. So it may not be worth doing if you haven't already filed.
I had an amended return last year for the prior year and it took almost 5 months to get my refund. Highly discouraged if you have not yet filed.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller

Just to make sure I've got this straight, I can do the following since I'm using H&R Block software, which never has form 8911:
  1. File federal and state tax returns electronically now (including form 8936 for my $3,750 EV credit)
  2. Wait for the Refunds to process
  3. File an amended 1040x federal return with form 8911
  4. Wait another 8-12 weeks for 30% of my $636 install cost refund

Yes, that's what I just did. I had done H&R Block e-file for my 2018 taxes a year ago.

First, I filled out Form 8911, and came up with the value of the credit. My install was hella expensive, due to needing a subpanel upgrade, so I got the full $1000 maximum credit for private home installs.

Then I filled out the 1040X based on the data from my 2018 return, which I had printed for my records. The only amendment I made was the extra $1000 credit, which made the 1040X quite straightforward to fill out.

Then I mailed it in. That was on Friday, so I'm hoping I'll get my check in a few months.

Just to make sure I've got this straight, I can do the following since I'm using H&R Block software, which never has form 8911:
  1. File federal and state tax returns electronically now (including form 8936 for my $3,750 EV credit)
  2. Wait for the Refunds to process
  3. File an amended 1040x federal return with form 8911
  4. Wait another 8-12 weeks for 30% of my $636 install cost refund

If you installed your charger in 2019, it's worth waiting until the 8911 form to become available so you can just file once. If you installed your charger in 2017 or 2018, you will need to file an amended return.

Reactions: swaltner
When I tried to use the 2018 H&R Block to amend my return with Form 8911, I had no luck figuring out how to do so. They mention the form in the "Business Credits" section, but once you say "Yes, I want to fill out this form", they just send you to Form 3600, which is for a variety of business credits, rather than anything personal. Definitely annoying. It's why I had to file by hand.

When I tried to use the 2018 H&R Block to amend my return with Form 8911, I had no luck figuring out how to do so. They mention the form in the "Business Credits" section, but once you say "Yes, I want to fill out this form", they just send you to Form 3600, which is for a variety of business credits, rather than anything personal. Definitely annoying. It's why I had to file by hand.

I called H&R Block Support yesterday, talked to a support lady who went away for 5-10 minutes in order to get a definitive answer. She came back stating what we already figured, that the H&R Block software does not support form 8911. I let her know that they have been losing customers for several years and will continue to do so (as EV sales continue to rise), as the other major players (TaxAct and TurboTax) both offer the form. She said she would mention that to her manager and offered up that I have 2 choices with their software:

1. Have the H&R Block software figure out your taxes, print and fill out form 8911 manually, modifying your 1040 appropriately as well and mailing it in.
  2. File electronically and then manually file an amended 1040x return with form 8911.

I called H&R Block Support yesterday, talked to a support lady who went away for 5-10 minutes in order to get a definitive answer. She came back stating what we already figured, that the H&R Block software does not support form 8911. I let her know that they have been losing customers for several years and will continue to do so (as EV sales continue to rise), as the other major players (TaxAct and TurboTax) both offer the form. She said she would mention that to her manager and offered up that I have 2 choices with their software:

1. Have the H&R Block software figure out your taxes, print and fill out form 8911 manually, modifying your 1040 appropriately as well and mailing it in.
  2. File electronically and then manually file an amended 1040x return with form 8911.

What a PITA, just wait another 7 days.