Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Evidently some HW4 pictures have surfaced in the Service Manuals: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/11m64ks

They also call the forward facing camera unit "Bi - Forward Facing Camera", implying it is only two cameras. Still unclear whether the third thing in the unit is a dummy camera, or another type of sensor.
Leak of service manual says it's two with an empty spot.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
Plus, it matches the PCB labeling.

What do you think the SVC labeled camera ports are for, in that case? I think Green said the full list was:

1. F-SVC
2. L-SVC
3. R-SVC
4. L-FF-Rear
5. R-FF-Rear
6. Selfie
7. Wide
8. Main
9. Backup
10. L-FF-Side
11. R-FF-Side
12. Spare

So we can discount "Spare" and we've presumably got matches for 4 through 11, leaving the "SVC" cameras labeled but not present.

I did see that someone on Twitter mentioned that "SVC" could also stand for "Surround View Camera." Maybe a planned feature for a different vehicle that will also use the HW4 board?

What do you think the SVC labeled camera ports are for, in that case? I think Green said the full list was:

1. F-SVC
2. L-SVC
3. R-SVC
4. L-FF-Rear
5. R-FF-Rear
6. Selfie
7. Wide
8. Main
9. Backup
10. L-FF-Side
11. R-FF-Side
12. Spare

So we can discount "Spare" and we've presumably got matches for 4 through 11, leaving the "SVC" cameras labeled but not present.

I did see that someone on Twitter mentioned that "SVC" could also stand for "Surround View Camera." Maybe a planned feature for a different vehicle that will also use the HW4 board?
Well, my limit was:
Wide = wide front
Main = main front
😉
F-SVC : Cybertruck bumper
Other two SVC, maybe semi?

I'm so confused about HW4 at this point. If this article is true, Tesla may indeed be adding more cameras to HW4. But why add HW4 to the Plaids without the cameras? Exclusive: Tesla's Model 3, Project Highland Exposed: What’s Changing

We can now say that more cameras will indeed be used in Project Highland. There will be three new cameras in all, one in the center of the front bumper as we discussed earlier, and two more on the sides of the vehicle.

The fender camera housing will now contain two cameras each. One will face backward as it does now, while the other will point in the other direction. It's not clear how the new camera will be oriented, but we speculate that they will be aimed off to the side to give the car a better view at certain intersections.

• Helpful
Reactions: Buckminster
I'm so confused about HW4 at this point. If this article is true, Tesla may indeed be adding more cameras to HW4. But why add HW4 to the Plaids without the cameras? Exclusive: Tesla's Model 3, Project Highland Exposed: What’s Changing
I think the biggest reason that Tesla hasn't said anything about HW4 is that it is deploying in stages and they just don't want folks "waiting for it". We've heard form others that the "new cameras" will be added "later" this year, but it is all still speculative. One could argue the Cybertruck needs a camera in the nose as it is so much larger and the other models won't get it - we just don't know for sure. MINIMALLY, it seems all the existing cars will likely get what the S and X have now: HW4 computer. upgraded (but not additional) cameras and radar (note: we are all assuming the latter as no one has ripped off a front bumper of a new S/X to "confirm"). The Cybertruck will, of course, get the front bumper camera, but it is interesting that the pre-production Cybertruck that was supposedly "it" didn't show dual cameras on the fender - just the one. I think I would be "happy enough" with the HW4 computer, upgraded cameras and radar. The "additional" cameras would be "nice", but maybe not critical (famous last words!).

Reactions: willow_hiller
I feel like the red coating on the lenses is being a bit overblown:
Why do Binoculars have Red (Ruby-Coated) Lenses? - BinocularsDesk

So the current HW4 has two systems on chip (SOC) has two possible camera layouts. The one currently shipping with S/X, and an expanded one with surround-view cameras. Also evidently a 3-SOC version in the works, that might have an integrated GPU.
Makes sense to me... 1 camera config for SEXY cars and 1 for Semi/CyberTruck (Bigger vehicle = more cameras needed)

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or is even true.... I heard that HW 4 will have convoy mode with auto-pilot/FSD that cars will draft behind Tesla Semi for increased efficiency and they will talk to each other so that you car can still "see" in front of it. Tesla semi with also draft each other and swap places based on route/charging status.

Seems cool but not sure if that is 6 months or 6 years down the road. I'm curious if HW 4 has any extra communication hardware

FYI: we have TMC members with HW4 reporting receiving FSD Beta v11.4.1

Interested to see if there are any differences in performance.

FYI: we have TMC members with HW4 reporting receiving FSD Beta v11.4.1

Interested to see if there are any differences in performance.
Photos or it didn't happen

Photos or it didn't happen

TeslaFi is reporting it as well: TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

One 2023 model year HW4 Model S:

Screenshot_20230513-115911.png

And here's the post with the shot of the firmware page. All Ultra Red Plaid Model S should be HW4: