Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ha! Long range Rwd from Ventura to Big bear on one charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow so I went on a day trip yesterday from Ventura county to Big Bear. I drove 260 ish miles with a huge elevation climb to 6700 feet. I started off with a 90% charge, pre-cooled the cabin. I arrived with about 40% charge! Heading back for sure I thought I would need to supercharge. I got a warning to stay below 75mph. Navigation showed I’d arrive with 5% state of charge. So I took a leisurely drive home keeping it under 70 mph. A third of the way though my estimate soc at arrival climb to 12% so I thought screw it, I hit 75 which is usually how fast I drive with the flow of traffic. Got home with 10% SOC including a stop to eat dinner in my car with the ac running!

Anyway I really just marvel at this car. It’s such amazing tech and I don’t have to gas up! There were 4 super chargers on my way but I decided to skip it given if I received a warning I would run out of charge I can stop at any of them along the way. Navigation did a great job calculating my arrival range and gave me enough information to help me decide to keep going home without charging. I also cross check my arrival charge with ABRP and also was given the information I would arrive back home on a single charge with close 5% charge.

Overnight I recharged the car back to 90%. Stats app reported the following:

Added miles: 256
Added kwh: 59.9
Cost: $9.87 ($0.14/kwh)

Nice, I was actually up there looking at for sale signs on cabins. I’d love to own and rent it one someday.

I think if you go up there especially in the winter awd would be super nice!

If you are ever interested let me know. I work with investors and individuals finding them homes that make them money. Somehow Big Bear rentals became a 2nd job- ha

I feel RWD LR would be better than AWD long range for mileage. Plus I liked the lighter handling of RWD a little better.

I feel RWD LR would be better than AWD long range for mileage.

You are right about that! As much as 10% better.

I’m going to guess the OP averaged about 218Wh/mi on the trip meter for this trip. Probably could get something like 235-240Wh/mi for a similar trip in AWD. Would have needed to charge - or would have been really close.

Reactions: Rottenapplr
You are right about that! As much as 10% better.

I’m going to guess the OP averaged about 218Wh/mi on the trip meter for this trip. Probably could get something like 235-240Wh/mi for a similar trip in AWD. Would have needed to charge - or would have been really close.
I had less than 30 miles left on the guess o meter. I think this is the lowest I got my battery to drop.

What impressed me the most was how it still had enough range despite the 6700 foot altitude climb

If you are ever interested let me know. I work with investors and individuals finding them homes that make them money. Somehow Big Bear rentals became a 2nd job- ha

I feel RWD LR would be better than AWD long range for mileage. Plus I liked the lighter handling of RWD a little better.
@MikeR55 would love to get more info. Always looking to invest. I’m an architect so I can get permits sets together pretty quickly if any work needs to be done

Reactions: MikeR55
And I test drove a LR RWD a few weeks ago and let it self drive all the way up the 330 - took the twisty mountain roads with no issues. It was incredible.
I find that Autopilot mostly handles 330 okay, but it fails to keep the lane on 18 once you pass Running Springs. The curves are too much for it. Also, when it does handle the curves on 330, it slows much more than I’m used to; we joke that Autopilot drives like a “flatlander” who’s not used to mountain roads. The AWD is great in winter, though! Overall, Teslas are great mountain cars.

Sure! Thinning air? What thinning air? :D
Well, that "thinning air" does help with efficiency by reducing aerodynamic drag. Not needing oxygen for combustion certainly helps EVs on the Pike's Peak Hillclimb. That said, our elevation here is much closer to that of Colorado Springs, not a high mountain peak (unless you're used to the Appalachian Mountains in which case 6000 feet sounds high).

Reactions: TomHudson
I’m glad you made it home, but I wouldn’t recommend trying it again. I actually got stuck at 0% in big bear and had to be towed down the mountain (the following morning). I had the same amount of charge as you at the top. The issue was, halfway down the mountain there was an accident (not uncommon) and going 5-10mph for 1-2 hours in 30 degree weather kills the charge rapidly. What started as having 10% estimation at destination became 0% halfway down the mountain with no options for turning back around or making it down before sunset. I’ve definitely learned my lesson to make sure there’s ample charge in places where there aren’t stopping options.

• Informative
Reactions: MikeR55 and JBT66
AWESOME! I own 2 rental homes in Big Bear and manage 20 other rentals. Meeting with electrician this week to install chargers in some of the cabins.

I'm desperately trying to find a RWD car as I make the trip from Sherman Oaks to BB often. AWD would be nice in the winter- but I try to avoid the drive when it snows anyway.
I'm surprised that you want the RWD for two main reasons:

1) You are installing chargers
2) Big Bear in the winter - CHP is so anal up there, I see so much chain control on dry roads up there it drives me crazy.

As you can tell by my avatar and username I'm a big skier. I've driven the Model 3 all around California for skiing and the range hit on AWD vs RWD is negligible when you consider the time and hassle of having to chain up. ...and 100 times worse if CHP makes you chain up on dry roads, so bad for tires, chains, and the road.

Also, the fun factor on the AWD vs. RWD is greatly improved. Do me a favor and when you do buy your AWD take in the snow in an empty parking lot and just have some fun. I am 10 years younger after that experience in the Canyon Lodge (Warming Hut 2) parking lot up at Mammoth. I could have spent a couple more hours flooring it and drifting it around.

Just my 2 cents. I've got the AWD and haven't regretted once, even on the haul up to Mammoth that I do on a regular basis.

• Love
Reactions: abasile