TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Ha! Long range Rwd from Ventura to Big bear on one charge

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Rottenapplr, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

Ya I would I wouldn’t push my car range wise if it’s the winter time since I’ve read range can get pretty affected. Up to 40%! SoCal mild winter is fine but anything under 45 I would be wary.

2. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Member

"Flatlanders" drive so poorly in the mountains, even in the driest of summers, that I assume this is out of historical necessity.

That said, I have been known to drive up to Big Bear or Arrowhead (usually from the northern, high desert routes) and pretend I'm filming a car commercial. The 3 is great fun, especially when there isn't any traffic going up. The locals will still scream past me in their Subaru Foresters when going up Hwy 18, however.

• Like x 1
  3. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Thanks- I avoid Big Bear at all costs in the winter. Ha! That's why I have people up there working for me! I am headed up today for the week though and hate that I don't have a Tesla yet to enjoy the twists.

Let me know if you ever want to stay in Big Bear!

Oh and why does #1 matter?

• Like x 1
  4. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    I agree that it's best to leave the mountain with enough charge to turn around and/or take an alternate route in such situations, but 40% should have been plenty. If stuck for hours in traffic and/or behind an accident, my advice would simply be to reduce or eliminate heater use if there's any question about having enough range. Crank up the seat heaters, and if that's not enough, grab a blanket or a winter jacket. That's far easier than having to call a tow truck!

When driving through the mountains in cold temperatures, you should always carry warm clothing and blankets in the car anyway, regardless of what type of car you're driving. What if you're in an accident and need to keep warm until emergency services can reach you, or what if your car malfunctions?

Another recommendation would be to check PlugShare, as there are some folks up here (including me) who will let you charge if you're in a bind. Anything but the tow truck!

In years of Tesla driving up here, we've never run out of charge, and we've only rarely needed to watch our heater use.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. petecrayton

petecrayton Member

6. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

I just to make it clear I was up there this weekend in the summer. No heater or blankets were needed. I was wearing shorts and flip flops lol.

• Like x 2
  7. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Yeah I actually just added AC to some of my cabins. Big Bear gets warm now.

8. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

#28 StellarRat, Sep 9, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019 at 1:56 PM
    Some people have posted that you can get another 8%-12% range just by using different tires. So when you're due for a new set you might do some research. One guy said with Pirelli Cinturato P7 all seasons he thought he was getting 8%-12% more range.

• Like x 1
  9. MountainRatMat

#1 matters because you stated you wanted the RWD because of range. If you have chargers up there then range becomes a non-issue.

10. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

Big Bear has really poor charging infrastructure. It’s not really a big deal if you have long range and are only there for a day but in the winter I can see it’s a big issue. There is no EVGO or charge point chargers there. They really need fast chargers up there. There’s a 2 owners on PlugShare but it’s kinda weird to ask another person to plug in if it’s in the middle of the night.

• Like x 1
  11. Rottenapplr

Rottenapplr Member

That’s good to know. I want to eek out more range lol.

12. derkan

derkan June Bug

Yes please install a bunch of chargers... We have trouble taking our MX 60D up to big bear, can not find reliable chargers and don't want to spend the time supercharging

13. MountainRatMat

Not quite a fair comparison because I'm in a LR Model 3 but every time I go to big bear I just plug in to 120V for the weekend and that has been sufficient.

I'd suggest getting a heavy duty 120V extension cord and you can pick up 30 miles overnight while you sleep.

...that is until you can stay at Mike's place when he installs the 240V NEMA 14-50 plug.

• Like x 2
  14. StellarRat

StellarRat Active Member

Indeed. When I go somewhere in the "wilderness" for vacation like a ski place or the coast the car mostly stays at the rental or hotel and we do a lot of walking around. So even a weekend with the car plugged into 120v for about 40 hours is plenty of time to get back a couple hundred miles of range.

15. JimsChoice

JimsChoice New Member

I replaced Michelin Energy with the P7's on our Ford C-Max Energi and found that our EV range, as well as highway MPG on long trips went DOWN slightly. I will have to do some average calculations on long trips where we weren't able to plug in to compare, but if the to of my head, it seemed like .75 to 1.0 MPG less.

16. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

17. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

You charge without letting the owners know?

18. MountainRatMat

Yes, I also use the water to take showers and cook when I rent a place without telling the owner.

If I damaged a circuit or blew a breaker I would notify the owner.

19. MikeR55

MikeR55 Member

Well charging a car is a little different, although maybe it's not that much money extra?

20. MountainRatMat

I run a rental as well and found very early on it isn't worth sweating details like that. Damage yes, using the place and the amenities it has to offer, no.

Cost to you is negligible in the grand scheme of things.