Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hack to keep autopilot engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using autopilot, I have been mildly annoyed with the "apply slight turning pressure to the steering wheel" message. Too much pressure and autopilot disengages. Too little and the message persists.

Completely by accident, I used the right thumbwheel to change the set-speed just a split-second after the "Apply slight turning pressure..." message appeared. To my surprise, the message went away. Turns out you don't have to apply any amount of pressure to the steering wheel. Changing the autopilot set-speed using the thumbwheel will consistently eliminate the message.

Using this trick has been a big win for me. I simply turn the thumbwheel up one tick and then right back down every time the message appears. No more guessing to apply just the right amount of pressure to the wheel!

Anybody else found another solution to this?

When using autopilot, I have been mildly annoyed with the "apply slight turning pressure to the steering wheel" message. Too much pressure and autopilot disengages. Too little and the message persists.

Completely by accident, I used the right thumbwheel to change the set-speed just a split-second after the "Apply slight turning pressure..." message appeared. To my surprise, the message went away. Turns out you don't have to apply any amount of pressure to the steering wheel. Changing the autopilot set-speed using the thumbwheel will consistently eliminate the message.

Using this trick has been a big win for me. I simply turn the thumbwheel up one tick and then right back down every time the message appears. No more guessing to apply just the right amount of pressure to the wheel!

this has been known ever since AP came out. In the USA (and only in the USA) the scrollwheels can be used to switch AP off. In USA the nag interval is afaik also twice as high as everywhere else.

Yup.

Also, if it helps, think of the torque required as the same as would result if you were to hang your hand from the spoke as if it were dead weight. Not enough to actually disengage AP but enough to feel it turning the wheel against your weight. I’ve gotten so used to doing that from the bottom spoke that, honestly, I’d probably be at risk of falling asleep in that position if I ever let myself drive fatigued (or trusted AP more than a student driver).

Turn up the volume, skip to the next song, increase follow distance,etc, etc. Anything that requires touching the scroll wheels.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Yup.

Also, if it helps, think of the torque required as the same as would result if you were to hang your hand from the spoke as if it were dead weight. Not enough to actually disengage AP but enough to feel it turning the wheel against your weight. I’ve gotten so used to doing that from the bottom spoke that, honestly, I’d probably be at risk of falling asleep in that position if I ever let myself drive fatigued (or trusted AP more than a student driver).

I did the scroll wheel thing at first until I saw someone post awhile back about just hanging your hand on the wheel. I have done that ever since and have never had an issue with AP nagging me.