Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hacker conference going after the Model 3. Tesla sponsored it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s Model 3 will be the prime target at upcoming hacker contest — The Verge

The Pwn2Own contest is one of the biggest events in competitive security research, a place where up-and-coming hackers can show off their skills and earn money by finding new vulnerabilities in widely used programs. But this year, there will be a new target on the list — a brand-new Tesla Model 3.

Tesla is partnering with the event’s organizers to include the Model 3 as the sole target in the automotive category, challenging hackers to find new ways to compromise the car’s security. The car is also a prize, to be awarded to a single winner in the automotive category.

It’s the first time a car has been put to the test at Pwn2Own, and a measure of Tesla’s commitment to digital security. “Our work with the security research community is invaluable to us,” said Tesla’s vehicle software chief David Lau. “We look forward to learning about and rewarding great work in Pwn2Own so that we can continue to improve our products and our approach.”

Since 2014, Tesla has operated a bug bounty program that encourages researchers to report vulnerabilities in exchange for payment”

My thought on this is that it is a very smart move. Many of us are familiar with the news about a half decade back where the showed a hacked car that the hacker was able to stop or accelerate. One can only imagine what could be done with a self driving car.

Better to get out ahead of that and accelerate finding and fixing flaws. Make your ability to find and fix them faster than the competition a selling and safety point.

I love that they're doing this, as it leads to better security. My fear is that if/when it gets hacked it will be used in the never-ending smear campaigns against Tesla. I wish that they would also try to hack vehicles from other manufacturers so that there is a fair comparison.