Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hacking the Model S for evil...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charge port hijinks

Just a thought I had while dreaming of my forthcoming Tesla last night, along with thinking about how all my neighbors steal electricity from the bank down the street with a free L2 charger... Would it be possible to steal electricity through the charge port? It's already possible to build a remote to open any tesla charge port, so why not go a step further and steal the electricity, or at least quick-discharge the battery? Would be a pretty severe prank at the least, along the lines of slashing tires I guess...

Just a thought I had while dreaming of my forthcoming Tesla last night, along with thinking about how all my neighbors steal electricity from the bank down the street with a free L2 charger... Would it be possible to steal electricity through the charge port? It's already possible to build a remote to open any tesla charge port, so why not go a step further and steal the electricity, or at least quick-discharge the battery? Would be a pretty severe prank at the least, along the lines of slashing tires I guess...

Not unless they can construct a special un-charge cable and convince the electronics to reverse the power flow. I suspect those capable of doing that have a higher pay grade than the average prankster.

Although I guess they could hook up to the 12V port and slowly drain the main battery by draining the 12V battery.

Not unless they can construct a special un-charge cable and convince the electronics to reverse the power flow. I suspect those capable of doing that have a higher pay grade than the average prankster.

Although I guess they could hook up to the 12V port and slowly drain the main battery by draining the 12V battery.

I don't think this is possible in the design as it is today. That is why Tesla is not able to do any V2G (vehicle to grid) trials like some of the Japanese EVs are doing.
It would be nice to have the Tesla be a backup power source for the house when the "big one" comes in California but it isn't going to happen.

-hans

Since the superchargers connect directly to the pack to charge it the same protocol might be used to connect to the pack to drain it. I'm fairly sure the only reason Tesla doesn't do V2G is because they don't want to enable it in software, and incur the expense of building the needed inverter to take DC pack voltage and convert it to AC house voltage. As it is if someone does hack the charge port protocol to connect to the pack they now have 400+ DC volts to deal with. So unless they want to do some welding with it I'm not sure what good it would do.

Reactions: jimbo69ny