Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had a chance to black out some of the chrome on the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago I plastidip my wheel. I ended up using some black dlastidip on the chrome pieces. The wheels are a metallic grey with a glossifier finish. The chrome accents are done black with glossifier finish. I did the front bumper, nose cone, door handles, side skirts, and emblems in the black.
20150404_112552.jpg
20150404_112413.jpg
20150404_112429.jpg
20150404_112449.jpg

Reactions: phaduman
Looks real good, especially on grey. Be careful of the chrome police critics on here though.

Are you going to do the window trim? Looks a bit odd now that everything else is blacked out. Was it tough to do without removing the parts? I'm guessing a lot of masking tape was used.

Looks real good, especially on grey. Be careful of the chrome police critics on here though.

Are you going to do the window trim? Looks a bit odd now that everything else is blacked out. Was it tough to do without removing the parts? I'm guessing a lot of masking tape was used.

I would have done the window trim, but the wife came into the garage and yelled at me. She said she wants a little bit of the chrome left. The turn signals are the only thing that bugs. The only way is vinyl decal that.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been debating blacking out just the strip under doors. Your pic convinced me. I will do it! I feel the window and mirror trim look good chrome/stainless with lower effects blacked. I would leave door handles naturale.

20150401_161944.jpg
20150401_162052.jpg
20150401_162116.jpg
20150401_162224.jpg
20150401_181225.jpg
20150401_191101.jpg

Looks great. When I completed all of my trim, I ended up removing the dip from the front T. I thought it looked too blended. Once I unpeeled the front T, WOW! That's the only chrome on the front. That's all that's needed. The black T just blended in too well. 647chang, I would try removing the dip from the front T and see if u like it. I bet u will.

I didn't need to remove the trim pieces you did to spray below the door sills and I was still able to get complete coverage on both visible sides of the trim (inside of car and outside of car). I used Tape N' Drape a lot when masking off the car before dipping. If anyone ever plans to dip any part of their car, buy Tape N' Drape. It's a lifesaver. It saved me so much time and hassle when taping long sections, like window trim and below the door. It's basically plastic sheeting attached to painters tape. Home depot didn't have it but Lowe's did.

- - - Updated - - -

grey cyclones? no from your post it looks like you modified the OEM silver ones...? what did you do? did you do it yourself or had it professionally done?

He started a thread awhile back showing detailed picks of his work. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44962-Plasti-dip-my-wheels

It still surprises me that u were able to get grey cyclones on ur car's avatar. Did Tesla ever offer grey cyclones?

Last edited:
Looks great. When I completed all of my trim, I ended up removing the dip from the front T. I thought it looked too blended. Once I unpeeled the front T, WOW! That's the only chrome on the front. That's all that's needed. The black T just blended in too well. 647chang, I would try removing the dip from the front T and see if u like it. I bet u will.

I didn't need to remove the trim pieces you did to spray below the door sills and I was still able to get complete coverage on both visible sides of the trim (inside of car and outside of car). I used Tape N' Drape a lot when masking off the car before dipping. If anyone ever plans to dip any part of their car, buy Tape N' Drape. It's a lifesaver. It saved me so much time and hassle when taping long sections, like window trim and below the door. It's basically plastic sheeting attached to painters tape. Home depot didn't have it but Lowe's did.

- - - Updated - - -

He started a thread awhile back showing detailed picks of his work. http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/44962-Plasti-dip-my-wheels

It still surprises me that u were able to get grey cyclones on ur car's avatar. Did Tesla ever offer grey cyclones?

Yes. Tesla offers grey cyclones in EU but not US. I had tesla change my avatar to 19" grey cyclones too as they are close enough to the grey Tsportline TST's that I have on.

Did the same with mine but had the chrome trim under the doors and under rear bumper wrapped in matte black 3M. Installer only charged $150. Looks great. I think we are going to have him come back and wrap the handles to match the body color and do gloss black on the chrome trim around the windows and mirrors. That is harder work so he quoted around $600 to do all of that.

IMG_7252.JPG
IMG_7330.JPG
IMG_7331.JPG

I just wanted to make sure I get a better coverage.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great and professional. The matching colour of the wheels and body look like it was factory assembled to spec.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

The stock 21's are just beautiful, and so glossy. The dip will hold me out until I need new tires, I'll end up getting some 22" Ace Mesh 7
4_zps82c6d7aa.jpg
Ace-Mesh-7-Tesla-Model-S-Gunmetal-Wheels-5.jpg

Metallic grey never did it for me but your car (647chang post #1 pics) with black out is arguably one of the nicest model s I've seen.

The subtle black out detailing contrasting with grey really works.

I will be doing the nose cone at least. That's the only real negative of the model s, it's nose cone / front end looks out of place in the design. At least you can improve it with black out without changing anything major.