Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had a couple issues - Just Delivered Today - Hood alignment off - Paint - etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for a little advice as I had a few issues with the car after delivery...

- So the paint on the hood seems like if you breath on it you scratch it. Elsewhere on the car seems better. The hood paint does seem awful weak though, will it improve overtime? Cure?
- The hood is not aligned well, I'll attach some photos below. The gap isn't even on driver and passenger side and the height is off (the hood seems like its twisted slightly)
- Trunk is tough to close in the back, you really have to shut it pretty hard, I assume this will relax some?
- There is a cable under the hood (driver side) that drags and makes a rattling noise when opening or closing the hood. Its just the plastic wrap on the cable rubbing on the side. Is this usually attached to something? Seems odd, anyone else?

None of these affected my enjoyment in receiving the car or my first few miles driven...all with the "Tesla Grin"!

I can't help but feel like some of these issues above are the result of a Q4 push to get more cars out. I am going to call the service department in Mt. Kisco tomorrow to talk with them there. I've alerted my DS to the hood issues already. What do you think they will do? Thanks in advance for the help / advice.

Photos of the hood / gap / alignment (tough to see in the photos IMO but its noticeable in person standing at the front of the vehicle)
IMG_1169.JPG
IMG_1170.JPG

They'll do you well. Yes, the hood is definitely off. I expect two bolts are out of alignment or not torqued properly. Yes. I agree that it is most likely EOQ push. I had that with mine in 3Q14. Delivered on the 30th to my door to get the signature. I was scared about problems. I have had a few, but all pretty much minor inconveniences. With Ranger pick and delivery, I guess I really can't complain.

The paint will cure. Try to not do anything to it AT ALL for the first month. Don't even wash it. I know how hard that will be. But it will harden. And NEVER take it to an automated car wash. You will rue the day. The issue with Tesla paint is not their fault. It's the air regulations in CA that force them to use waterborne paint that contains no solvents, which are the hardeners. If you can afford it, do either a wrap or a nano coat like CQuartz Finest or Opti Coat. I did CQF. Cost me 2,500 for the entire wheels off exterior and the interior and it was worth every penny, I can tell you. My paint is perfect after 15 months. Perfect. Most of the dirt seems to simply fall off of it when it rains. Truly amazing. In all those months, I have only bucket washed once. Every other time has been waterless. No kidding. It's not cheap, at least in CA. But I'm really glad I did it. Everybody comments on the incredible shine. And the nano coat helps with creating a harder finish, therefore less hazing and holograming (sp?).

Congrats on your buy and welcome to the family!

Grats on your delivery!

I have the same issue with mine! I caught it while closely inspecting the car before I signed off on the delivery. I made sure it was documented. My frunk also doesn't close without using a good amount of force. Is your frunk opening/closing ok? You and I had our cars leave the factory around the same time.

Frunk closes just fine, I use the manuals two hand method. Just the trunk in the back seems a little tight.

Thanks for for all the suggestions btw. The service center is about 4hrs drive but we are going on a family trip Saturday and will be passing through the area. Maybe it's something they can address quickly. Otherwise it can wait till after the trip.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh man it's gonna be hard to leave it for a month lol but I will give it a try. Thanks! I was considering having a zeibart diamond gloss applied. Anyone heard of it used that?