Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had a door unlock at 80 mph on my Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So yesterday I am on the highway at 80 mph and I get an alert that a door was not shut. I pull over and sure enough the door wasn’t shut. I heard it open. I had no warnings when I left 8 miles earlier. Has this happened to anyone?
Luckily no one was behind me so I could slow down and the door not fly forward.

The rear doors are a safety concern for me since there is no mechanical linkage between the interior and exterior door handles and the door. It is entirely electronic in normal operation. There is an emergency cable pull under each rear passenger seat, hidden under the carpet in the center of where each rear passenger sits. I instruct my non-child passengers on how to get out using the door pulls if there is an accident or something which cuts the power, and traps the rear seat passengers. No one can get in or out without breaking the window, or the rear passenger pulling the door release cable.

With your issue, I assume you have verified the door sensor seems to work and will alert if the door is not closed firmly shut and latched. Make sure it alerts when the door is only half closed. I assume it is unlikely that a random "open the door" signal would come from the door handle switches while you are driving down the road. I would check the emergency cable release for the door and make sure it is working properly and not in a partially pulled state. Check both door cables for proper operation and check the door ajar sensors to make sure everything is OK now. If it happens again, who knows?

Could it be that it was mostly closed but just hadn't fully latched shut? Be sure to close the doors firmly (don't use too much force). You might want to report this to Tesla if you haven't already done so. Be sure to indicate that you heard the door open if you do report this.
Urban Legend should test this. The warnings should go off if the door is not closed firmly enough.

Reactions: URBAN LEGEND
The rear doors are a safety concern for me since there is no mechanical linkage between the interior and exterior door handles and the door. It is entirely electronic in normal operation. There is an emergency cable pull under each rear passenger seat, hidden under the carpet in the center of where each rear passenger sits. I instruct my non-child passengers on how to get out using the door pulls if there is an accident or something which cuts the power, and traps the rear seat passengers. No one can get in or out without breaking the window, or the rear passenger pulling the door release cable.
I don't know why Tesla made the mechanical rear door release an Easter egg. Relevant video:

The manual releases should be visible, marked, and glow, like the emergency inside releases for the trunk and frunk.

I just couldn't agree more. There need to be large and solid handles, glowing red, placed under the seats, out of reach of small children in their bucket seats but within easy reach of both adult or teenage passengers in the back and of passengers in the front who are leaning over between the front seats.
Can you imagine how the current design is supposed to work in a real emergency, e..g. at night with the car swerving off the road and ending up in a water filled canal and with the electric system shortening out?
Driver: "Hey folks in the back, don't panic (they obviously do). We have only ended up in pitch darkness in a water filled canal, the car is about to sink and the door handles don't work. Just look for some small and invisible (it's pitch black) plastic cap below the seat, pull it off and the yank the fiddly thing inside really hard."
I'm sure it will work like a charm.
This isn't state of current technology, it's just money pinching, the same money pinching that got people killed in GM cars with their faulty ignition locks and in the B 737 Max with their unsafe design.
Should any people come to harm because of this, then I hope that Tesla gets hurt with fines that really hurt and that the managers who were responsible for this design decision go to jail. However, as with GM and Boeing, Tesla would probably get away with a slap on the knuckles (not too hard, mind).
And don't get me started on the stupid electronic door handles on the outside, which are copied by all sorts of other car manufacturers now, as reviewers found them so slick.
This poor design decisions obviously don't bother reviewers, who often test only brand new cars in nice, sunny locations like Southern California or Spain.
Rant over. Sorry for that. Obviously all that I said equally applies to all other manufacturers who are taking such poor design decisions.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WhiteWi
I think we can agree that it's poor design, but why is it cheaper to put the release between the seats vs. directly linked from the handle? The front interior door handles have a mechanical linkage to the release. Simple is usually cheaper anyway.

I think we can agree that it's poor design, but why is it cheaper to put the release between the seats vs. directly linked from the handle?
In the rear door, the mechanism is not in the door is but in the door frame. It would be very difficult to run a cable from the door handles to the mechanism not in the door. I am not sure why the design requires the latch to be in the door frame though.

Right, I guess I should have said "why not construct everything like the front?" I know they have the control module located in the front door, and that module is for front and rear doors, but those are just wires.

Maybe it's for child safety locks? I still don't know why the release would have to be in the frame vs the door, but that's the only other delta I see for the rear doors.

I think we can agree that it's poor design, but why is it cheaper to put the release between the seats vs. directly linked from the handle? The front interior door handles have a mechanical linkage to the release. Simple is usually cheaper anyway.

I have no idea. Perhaps it's an issue with the child safety mechanism, as you have said already. Whatever the reason, I do see issues with this mechanism in an emergency situation. It should be possible to locate and to operate a release mechanism within seconds.

When I saw the photo of the April 18th Tesla crash, I immediately thought of the rear door safety issue. It was thought that no one was driving the Tesla, because a body was found in the passenger seat, and another body was found upright in the rear passenger seat. Tesla says autopilot could not have been engage on the road, even with a driver in the seat. No body was found in the driver's seat. If you look at the photo, you can see a tree is blocking the driver's door. I could imagine the driver realizing he is trapped in the front, struggling into the back, only to find the rear doors would not open because the power was cut off, and the driver likely did not know the doors would not work in this emergency. This is the position the people were found dead in the car. Surely the investigation will find the truth.

Attachments

• 18xp-tesla-02-jumbo.jpg
    18xp-tesla-02-jumbo.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 144
When I saw the photo of the April 18th Tesla crash, I immediately thought of the rear door safety issue. It was thought that no one was driving the Tesla, because a body was found in the passenger seat, and another body was found upright in the rear passenger seat. Tesla says autopilot could not have been engage on the road, even with a driver in the seat. No body was found in the driver's seat. If you look at the photo, you can see a tree is blocking the driver's door. I could imagine the driver realizing he is trapped in the front, struggling into the back, only to find the rear doors would not open because the power was cut off, and the driver likely did not know the doors would not work in this emergency. This is the position the people were found dead in the car. Surely the investigation will find the truth.
This was my thought exactly. Hopefully it will encourage Tesla to modify the rear doors to operate like the front doors. Pretty much every other car in the world can mechanically open the rear doors from the door panel.