Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an Accident.... (Collision work for Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two words for you: LOL Cats.

You need to get out more.

LOL Cats? Au contraire, it is you who needs to get out more! Such idle frivolities are for invalids, shut-ins and the convalescent. Get up early, drive to the beach, and enjoy the serene beauty of a sunrise over the mountains, as your ears are caressed by the rush of the ocean surf, and your lungs perfumed by salt-sweet air. Stand in awe of the grace and egality of a flight of pelicans as they sweep low over the breaking waves.

Oh wait, how is that different from LOL cats, just birds instead?

LOL Cats? Au contraire, it is you who needs to get out more! Such idle frivolities are for invalids, shut-ins and the convalescent. Get up early, drive to the beach, and enjoy the serene beauty of a sunrise over the mountains, as your ears are caressed by the rush of the ocean surf, and your lungs perfumed by salt-sweet air. Stand in awe of the grace and egality of a flight of pelicans as they sweep low over the breaking waves.

Oh wait, how is that different from LOL cats, just birds instead?

Thank you. My life was so empty before this. (You know you're spending time on a forum, right?)

I've always believed that, when driven prudently, cars with exemplary handling and acceleration are actually safer than ordinary cars and are less likely to get into an accident.

correctamundo.jpg

I've already had a situation where I had to change lanes in a pinch. It was one of those things where the guy in front of me slammed the brakes just as I shoulder checked for a lane change. Turned my head back and "yikes!!!". Fortunately I had already determined there was no one in my blind spot, and the car handled the unexpectedly fast lane change beautifully.

I've always believed that, when driven prudently, cars with exemplary handling and acceleration are actually safer than ordinary cars and are less likely to get into an accident.

I agree, and I describe it as such to my wife (who really dislikes evasive maneuvers): with a weak car (no acceleration, bad handling), or the fear of using more aggressive maneuvers, you only have one escape direction (behind you, using the brakes). All directions open up when you prudently use more power and handling at your fingertips.

Sorry about the damage. Glad no one was hurt. Hope Tesla and other automakers offer forward collision warning systems (that automatically apply max brakes in a situation like this) in the future.

GSP

PS. I wonder if the Model S has brake assist?

I've already had a situation where I had to change lanes in a pinch. It was one of those things where the guy in front of me slammed the brakes just as I shoulder checked for a lane change. Turned my head back and "yikes!!!". Fortunately I had already determined there was no one in my blind spot, and the car handled the unexpectedly fast lane change beautifully.

Guess you don't have the blind spot warning system on your car. Oh, wait, that's right...stuff like that is only available on Fusions, and Camrys, you know really high-end cars. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

...The Model S accelerates very quickly and has a very responsive pedal, so instead of the 1-second delay as the engine rev up, it just goes. ....
Do others have the same experience?

This happened at Tesla during the drive event. Where an S collided with another. Supercars have the wreckedexotics.com syndrome where you see the results of where drivers are not as sharp as there powerful cars.

Back when the Roadster had a lot of problems and the brakes, pedal placement, and acceleration were blamed. The last is most likely since it was not a problem with all or later owners and there were no "fixes" done.

I like the theory about 1 pedal driving but after 50,000 miles i'm still hovering my foot over the brake. I drive other cars and I know where the "real brake" is so while an interesting theory, it is not true for me.

An update for anyone interested. My insurance carrier provided an estimate of $2,700 to fix the car. Thankfully the autobody shop Tesla referred us to is an approved vendor with our insurance, and they have already worked on some Teslas. So the car is now with the autobody shop and the bad news is they estimate two weeks to have it repaired :( That means two weeks of no commuter lane, so leaving at 6am to beat the traffic. Hopefully it will get fixed quickly.

Within the first week of getting my Model S, I almost rear ended someone too. It is different from the OP's circumstances but I thought I share.

I was in the slow lane of 3 lanes on I-405. The car was slowing down in front of me due to traffic but the next 2 lanes were free, I accelerated and start to turn left to get onto the next lane and next thing I know, I had to swerve left very hard to change lane quicker as the car in front of me stopped and the Model S was more responsive in moving forward than my Audi A4. It was a very close call.

I think that was a big lesson for me and I am sure many of you getting your cars soon will also learn. The Model S accelerates very quickly and has a very responsive pedal, so instead of the 1-second delay as the engine rev up, it just goes. I had to change the timing and action sequence for lane changes - my blind spot check, turning wheels and accelerating; and also the distance needed to the next car.

My A4 is turbo charged and pretty fast but the Model S accelerates so much faster. Be careful as great power comes great responsibility!

Do others have the same experience?

I did the exact same thing during my test drive. Almost rear ended the guy ahead of me as I was trying to pass. Instant actually means instant when it comes to acceleration in the Model S.

Confession- I killed a beautiful Sand Hill Crane today... Actually he flew into the windshield. Not sure exactly what will happen with the car, but Mark said a few others with recent damage here in FL have been fixed to new/showroom quality in just a few days @ Gene Perez for the aluminum body work and glass replaced pretty quickly too.

Another bird almost flew into the windshield with a friend driving the other day too. One of my employees suspects that the aerodynamics and lack of usual engine noises may be throwing the birds off. FL also have millions of extra birds this time of year so might just be the higher odds.

Anyway, I feel bad about it and wanted to see if anyone else has had any close calls or bird incidents like this.

image.jpg

Are we gonna have to put deer whistles on these cars??

Amazon.com: DEER ALERTS AUTO WISTLE BLACK OR CHROME: Automotive

I thought these have dubious effectiveness. :confused:

Deer tend to be reckless and noise does not always dissuade them. The only way to reduce the chance of a deer collision is to drive slow, and to stop if one deer runs past, because a pack of them is sure to follow:frown: I swear there are more deer than rabbits where I live. They also eat all the plants:cursing:

Well, maybe they'd alert cranes and people who don't look both ways... :)

I thought these have dubious effectiveness. :confused:

Deer tend to be reckless and noise does not always dissuade them. The only way to reduce the chance of a deer collision is to drive slow, and to stop if one deer runs past, because a pack of them is sure to follow:frown: I swear there are more deer than rabbits where I live. They also eat all the plants:cursing: