Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an Accident.... (Collision work for Model S)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had someone hit and run my car when it was parked at my work within the last few days. The shop in the area that will soon be Tesla preferred is also an approved shop for my insurance. I will let everyone know what the damage($) ends up being when I find out.

View attachment 18042

Any update on the cost to repair? Mine backed into last night and has similar damage on the driver's side.

Any update on the cost to repair? Mine backed into last night and has similar damage on the driver's side.

Yeah Sorry I forgot to get back to the thread. The bill ended up being a little over $1500. The place that my local Tesla service manager suggested did a great job, they said they were able to get about 90% of it out using paint-less dent removal. I was pretty amazed at how they were able to get the fold in the panel back exactly.

Yeah Sorry I forgot to get back to the thread. The bill ended up being a little over $1500. The place that my local Tesla service manager suggested did a great job, they said they were able to get about 90% of it out using paint-less dent removal. I was pretty amazed at how they were able to get the fold in the panel back exactly.

Glad to hear that. Did they just repaint after fixing the dent? No issues with blending in the paint? I was told by the body shop that they think they can repair it without having to replace but the dent is right on the corner which I would think would be difficult to just repair.

From what they told me they did the 90% work with PDR and then they used a little filler, they said in some areas about the same that the factory would use to fix any small imperfections. They repainted the panel and a few other small areas that were scratched but I don't know how big of an area. Good thing is, I cant tell where they did or didn't so I would call it a good job. I would take some pictures of it but after the snow we had the last few days the car is no where close to clean :smile:

@dmfick I owe you BIG TIME. I did as you suggested and filed a claim against the parking lot owners liability insurance. My total cost were $4000. And after they investigated they paid the claim in full! This saved me my $1000 deductible if I would have filed a claim against MY auto policy (same company BTW) and it saves me a potential rate increase and “ding” on my driving record. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post with this information. It was something not known about by my insurance agent or anyone else I spoke with.

RFBROST, You have a claim against the parking lot owner/operator. I had a similar bumper-pull on rebar situation with a BMW and the parking lot/shopping center owner paid up, no question. The story you got about why the rebar was exposed is bogus. I own several shopping centers, and those things come up all the time due to heat and cold, etc. They are a pain, and they should NEVER extend above the curb. When they do, there is liability. Make a claim.

Hold on. Have to argue this. I own an office building and witnessed on numerous occasions people pull in to a space and literally hit, no, run in to the parking stop. They hit it so hard it pushes the stop back and out of place. Then when they pull back the rebar simply lifts up because the stop is out of place and voila, the next victim is the air dam. I would place blame 90% of the time on the driver.

That said, I take great care to make sure I don't dive up to the car stop wherever I park.

spatterso911: My family has been the victim of three separate accidents. On all three occasions we got the car appraised after the accident repair was complete, and deducted that from the appraised value before the accident. In each case, we got 100% of the diminished value we asked for - without involving a lawyer 9and I am not a lawyer either!). As a victim it is your right to recover the diminished value amount - document it folks and you will get what is owed to you.

spatterso911: My family has been the victim of three separate accidents. On all three occasions we got the car appraised after the accident repair was complete, and deducted that from the appraised value before the accident. In each case, we got 100% of the diminished value we asked for - without involving a lawyer 9and I am not a lawyer either!). As a victim it is your right to recover the diminished value amount - document it folks and you will get what is owed to you.
How do you get a car appraised? Do you use the difference between the post-accident appraisal and the most recent pre-accident appraisal? Seems like unless it was appraised directly before and after you'd have a tough time proving the initial value.