TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Had an accident today, few questions on driving the Model S after Accident

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by BirjuP, Aug 20, 2014.

1. BirjuP

BirjuP Member

While making a turn today I was struck in the passenger side fender, ruining both headlights, bumper, hood, possibly air suspension, etc.

Tesla recommended a body shop to me locally who is Tesla approved, but my question is for people who've had accidents, and how the car feels afterwards.

Does it feel the same?

Attached Files:

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

More importantly, how do you and any passengers feel afterwards?

3. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Folks have had their cars condemned as totaled after what looked like much less damage. Comes down to structural damage in certain areas.

Sorry about the accident and hope everyone's ok.

4. galangg

galangg Member

5. green1

green1 Active Member

I can't answer your original question, but I have to say, that looks to me like a write-off, which is good in the sense that you don't have to worry about whether it's fixed "right"... but bad in that you have to go through the process of getting a replacement...

6. anthony

anthony Member

Just got Nikola back after being rear ended (66 days later), not nearly as bad as your situation, but did include some frame damage.
    The car fax will never be the same, and maybe to some extent the car, but its probably just in my head.

This was being hit while stopped at about 30mph, 96 honda civic whose front end is completely destroyed.

IMG_20140603_090457630_HDR.jpg

7. BirjuP

BirjuP Member

The adjuster determines it? Or can we hire someone to determine. Because loss of value??

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

^^this.

I've seen a bunch of Tesla's deemed totaled/salvage by insurance companies for much less damage than yours. Sorry. It's Tesla's fault really for overcharging on parts for the repair costs plus insane labor rates. :(

- - - Updated - - -

^^this.

I've seen a bunch of Tesla's deemed totaled/salvage by insurance companies for much less damage than yours. Sorry. It's Tesla's fault really for overcharging on parts for the repair costs plus insane labor rates. :(

9. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

This was exactly what I thought when I saw the picture of your car. Hard to believe it's not totaled.

10. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

#10 hockeythug, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
    Is it general practice to get gap insurance on high price vehicles? The main thing I worry about is the insurance companies getting enough loss data on Tesla and jacking up rates.

11. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I've said it a dozen times here - people cost WAY more to fix or replace than cars. So far no insurance company has had to pay out a dime for anyone seriously injured or killed in a Model S. Sky high repair costs are a drop in the bucket compared to this. Our insurance rates are going no where but down so long as that injury profile continues.

12. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off... See my thread on my accident. There's some good post from fellow members on there. Thread called "and the day was going so well"

13. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I got gap insurance for that reason and plus I'm a high mileage driver. Last thing I need is to get smacked and then have them say something likes it's only worth $30k and leave me stuck with a loan balance and no car.

14. mmh

mmh Member

AHH! Mods please mark this thred as containing "GRAPHIC IMAGES". I've never expected to see anything so horrific and disturbing on this site.

//On a serious note;
    Glad you're okay! I hope you get everything straightened out (literally).

15. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Ditto. That peace of mind seemed worth the small cost to me. I think it was <$300 or thereabouts.

16. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are ok. My accident (July 5) had FAR less front end damage than this and the repair costs were "At least $45,000". That's without even disassembling the car to look for further damage. My insurance company wrote it off as a total loss. If I had to guess this is likely a total loss. I feel for you, and best of luck to getting back on the road with a repaired or (more likely) replacement Model S.

17. taurusking

taurusking Member

#17 taurusking, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    My heart felt prayers for you birjuP.

Rockster: Can you please let me know how much it cost for the GAP insurance in addition to the premium...is there a specific down payment that is required?

Actually I went to Alliant Credit Union website and here is info on GAP; Not sure how much it will cost though...

Auto Loans

Guaranteed Asset Protection (GAP)

Added Protection for Your Vehicle and Alliant Car Loan. GAP is an affordable way to protect against potential financial loss. Gap is a waiver which pays the difference between your insurance company's actual cash value of your car, less your deductible, and your Alliant Credit Union loan balance in the event the covered vehicle is stolen, damaged beyond repair, or otherwise declared a total loss.

• If your car is stolen or totaled, its actual cash value as determined by your insurance company can be thousands less than the amount that remains on your car loan balance which you are obligated to pay
    • GAP can save you from making loan payments for a vehicle that’s beyond repair, stolen or unrecoverable
    You should consider protecting yourself with GAP if you have financed more than 75% of the value of your vehicle, or intend to purchase a car with little or no money down.

• GAP is available for both new and used vehicles, including all car makes and models, light trucks, vans, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, ATVs, motorcycles and some small RVs and boats valued up to $100,000
    • Covers the difference between actual cash value (less deductible) and outstanding loan of up to $50,000
    • Can be purchased at any time during the life of an Alliant vehicle loan, for loans up to 84 months, and is completely refundable if cancelled within the first 90 days
    Ask about GAP when you apply for your Alliant vehicle loan.

18. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Gap is a good solution if you only put a small downpayment and financed most of the car. If you put a chunk of cash down then Gap isn't required as it won't pay out on what you feel the car is worth, it will just cover you for the difference in loan vs payout, hence the 75% guidance they give.

19. HHHH

HHHH Member

Wow, hope everyone is ok on both sides. Regarding the value, I'd be surprised if it's not totaled. Subscribed.

20. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I'll check this evening and let you know.