Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an accident..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so sorry to see that! Hopefully your repair can be quicker than mine if there's no airbag deployment, hopefully the Nissan stopped and you got insurance information as well.

Mine is going on 4-months and still don't have my car back: Model Y Repair Experience (Tesla Insurance)
Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, the other party refused to give me their information. I had to chase them down to get them to even pull over. Once we were both stopped safely she got out and played the whole “YOU almost killed ME” routine, despite her being completely in the wrong. I asked her 3 times for her information and she refused on the grounds that “she never came into contact with my car”. I informed her of California vehicle code 16000 and asked her one last time. She refused. I informed her that my car recorded the whole thing on multiple cameras complete with her license plate. I took an additional picture of her, then her license plate (which had expired registration tags btw) and sat in my car while I called the police. They informed me to not risk my safety and to just come to the local police station to file a report. I gave the officers the dashcam footage as well as the photos I took of her and her plates. The officers told me that they are going to charge her with a misdemeanor hit and run and that the video footage makes my case very strong. I notified my insurance company afterwards. This sucks.

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, the other party refused to give me their information. I had to chase them down to get them to even pull over. Once we were both stopped safely she got out and played the whole “YOU almost killed ME” routine, despite her being completely in the wrong. I asked her 3 times for her information and she refused on the grounds that “she never came into contact with my car”. I informed her of California vehicle code 16000 and asked her one last time. She refused. I informed her that my car recorded the whole thing on multiple cameras complete with her license plate. I took an additional picture of her, then her license plate (which had expired registration tags btw) and sat in my car while I called the police. They informed me to not risk my safety and to just come to the local police station to file a report. I gave the officers the dashcam footage as well as the photos I took of her and her plates. The officers told me that they are going to charge her with a misdemeanor hit and run and that the video footage makes my case very strong. I notified my insurance company afterwards. This sucks.
That's awful. I'm also in CA and had a similar situation (the driver that caused my accident fled the scene), I wasn't even able to get their license plate number, but I showed the dashcam footage to the police and sent it to insurance (Tesla Insurance). My own insurance is covering the repairs, and even though I'm paying the deductible, my renewal just came through and my rates aren't going up (they're actually going down $16/mo).

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
Wasn't ideal her pulling out like that but you can't say that you didn't have PLENTY of time to slow down and let her complete the maneuver before speeding up again.
You don’t live in the USA or California. In fact, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road. Things are way different out here. The police, my insurance, and the other 2 dozen people I’ve shown these videos to couldn’t disagree with you more. By the way, I never varied my speed other than slowing down once I saw her coming (I was only going 40-45mph). So this talk about PLENTY of time before speeding back up doesn’t make any sense. A guy gets in an accident and you’re over here offering unsolicited criticism. I thought English people were better mannered. Shame. Stop being a troll - with your hardly used TMC account.

Wasn't ideal her pulling out like that but you can't say that you didn't have PLENTY of time to slow down and let her complete the maneuver before speeding up again.

I agree I feel that the OP had the time to slow down and apply brakes as it seems like they saw them coming and turned to the right. I feel like they did more damage to the car by swerving to the right instead of hard braking.

I agree I feel that the OP had the time to slow down and apply brakes as it seems like they saw them coming and turned to the right. I feel like they did more damage to the car by swerving to the right instead of hard braking.
Christ… I DID attempt to slow down. I did hard brake. If I didn’t swerve I would have hit them. Then that’s 2 cars that need repair. The police and my insurance said that I did the right thing. You know it’s not easy making split second decisions like that.

Not really, the wide angle camera makes extremely close vehicles look as if they are far away.

Agreed here. Yes, this was not ideal but plenty of time to slow down or stop. I had such cases multiple times and applied my foot on the breaks. Especially at 40 mph, it does not take long. Autopilot/FSD would probably have slowed down and not go to the right and speed (I drive most of the time on autopilot).

This is probably the reality of what is going to happen:

1. She doesn't have insurance
2. You won't be able to make a claim for uninsured motorist coverage because there will be a requirement that your car make contact with the uninsured driver for uninsured motorist coverage to apply.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news and I hope I'm wrong.

This is probably the reality of what is going to happen:

1. She doesn't have insurance
2. You won't be able to make a claim for uninsured motorist coverage because there will be a requirement that your car make contact with the uninsured driver for uninsured motorist coverage to apply.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news and I hope I'm wrong.
If that is the case(which i doubt do to the hit and run report), you can sue.

Or just plow into her( I'm not risking going into a pole and dying for some dumbass not driving right), her fault anyways. Don't know what is wrong with some of these commentors.
Yeah, growing up when I learned to drive, my dad always drilled into me, that if I can't avoid hitting somebody without hitting something else, that I should just hit the other car, becuase if I hit the other car, the other car would likely be at fault... But if I swerved, and missed them, but hit something else, I would be 100% at fault for hitting that something else.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Looks like more than enough time and distance to just stop instead of swerving right unless OP was distracted. Texting or on the phone?
Lol, I wasn’t distracted. Was doing the best I could. The video is great, but first hand the situation is totally different. Scary too. I’m almost 40 years old.. I hardly text when I’m sitting on the couch let alone when I’m driving. Please don’t assume someone is an idiot without knowing them first. Your comment is not helpful and insulting.

I think some here are making the mistake of looking too far down the road in the video because we know what's about to come. In reality it probably happened much faster than it appeared on camera for the unsuspecting OP, requiring hard braking and a last second instinctive maneuver to avoid collision.
Exactly! It happened faster then the video appears. All these people who criticized haven’t thought of that. Thank you for having my back!