Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an accident..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I counted 5 seconds from the time I saw the other car start the turn. The Tesla can stop from 60 in about three seconds. I would have continued in the same lane until I was sure what she was going to do, then evade. When you committed to going around the right side, your options were less. I think this accident could have been avoided.

Last edited:
I counted 5 seconds from the time I saw the other car start the turn. The Tesla can stop from 60 is about three seconds. I would have continued in the same lane until I was sure what she was going to do, then evade. When you committed to going around the right side, your options were less. I think this accident could have been avoided.
4 sec tops, and as @Exelion pointed out the expectation would be for her to go to center lane, or even the left most, not keep going across all lanes, so 2 to 3 second reaction time.

BTW, @ScoobyDoo82, did the car engage brakes automatically?

Reactions: Exelion
For what it’s worth, Progressive has already deemed the Hyundai 100% at fault. The police report and dashcam made it easy. The simple fact that she made multiple mistakes was her nailing her own coffin. My brother being a lawyer also helped. It turns out my brother has represented the same police department multiple times in the past. It’s funny how the world works sometimes. It’s a done deal guys. The car is getting worked on as we speak and progressive is covering the whole thing, including the loss of value to my car to it being a non-accident car now. I came out 100% whole - minus my time and aggravation.
Is Progressive honoring a diminished value claim for your car? My understanding was that in CA, you can't claim Diminished Value against your own insurance.

Do you know what they'll do regarding a rental car if the repairs take longer than a month? My understanding was also that your insurance would only cover a month of rental.

Is Progressive honoring a diminished value claim for your car? My understanding was that in CA, you can't claim Diminished Value against your own insurance.

Do you know what they'll do regarding a rental car if the repairs take longer than a month? My understanding was also that your insurance would only cover a month of rental.
You can claim only diminished value against your own policy in certain cases. The specifics I am not aware of, but in my case the claims rep has been communicating with my lawyer. They have agreed to cover the DV. How much is yet to be determined. We are also filing suit against the other party to cover the inconvenience.

I did not get a rental. Luckily my wife is working from home so I have been able to use her car.

4 sec tops, and as @Exelion pointed out the expectation would be for her to go to center lane, or even the left most, not keep going across all lanes, so 2 to 3 second reaction time.

Yes, the car did engage the brakes but the timing was milliseconds before I was already instinctively applying them on my own. The steering nudged on its own as well.

Reactions: MontyFloyd
I counted 5 seconds from the time I saw the other car start the turn. The Tesla can stop from 60 in about three seconds. I would have continued in the same lane until I was sure what she was going to do, then evade. When you committed to going around the right side, your options were less. I think this accident could have been avoided.
Lol, I would love to trade places with you and see how you would have handled it. Everyone is an expert when they watch it in the 3rd person. See the above posts - there is a complete analysis on the timing and my options. I’m glad you think that this accident could have been avoided. You win.

They have agreed to cover the DV. How much is yet to be determined.
1632869937892.png

On the bright side, whatever curb rash you had on those two wheels is going to get fixed for "free", lol... And the ball joint on the control arms will be freshly lubed, so you won't have to worry about them squeeking.....
This is true, however I’m worried that good ‘ol SparkPlug will never be the same. So I’ve placed an order for a new MY - this time a Performance variant and plan to sell the repaired MYLR once the new one arrives. This was my original desired trim when I first ordered back last February but my wife talked me out of it due to us expecting our child (born in June). Now she has given me some slack. So this situation has a happier ending than I originally anticipated.

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, the other party refused to give me their information. I had to chase them down to get them to even pull over. Once we were both stopped safely she got out and played the whole “YOU almost killed ME” routine, despite her being completely in the wrong. I asked her 3 times for her information and she refused on the grounds that “she never came into contact with my car”. I informed her of California vehicle code 16000 and asked her one last time. She refused. I informed her that my car recorded the whole thing on multiple cameras complete with her license plate. I took an additional picture of her, then her license plate (which had expired registration tags btw) and sat in my car while I called the police. They informed me to not risk my safety and to just come to the local police station to file a report. I gave the officers the dashcam footage as well as the photos I took of her and her plates. The officers told me that they are going to charge her with a misdemeanor hit and run and that the video footage makes my case very strong. I notified my insurance company afterwards. This sucks.
Sorry this happened friend. Did the car automatically record the footage because it detected a collision or did you have to honk? I'm always worried if I get into an accident that I'll forget to honk to record because of my nerves.

Sorry this happened friend. Did the car automatically record the footage because it detected a collision or did you have to honk? I'm always worried if I get into an accident that I'll forget to honk to record because of my nerves.
Thank you. I car automatically saved the footage. The moment the curb was struck the hazards come on automatically. I’m guessing the same subsystem also saved the clip. I remember setting it to “auto” the moment that update came out.

Reactions: Exelion
Somebody who doesn’t REPORT it is braking the law, turning it into a hit and run. That was my point. Someone who gets out of the car and refuses to give info based on the grounds of “I didn’t hit you, why do you need my info” when they clearly caused the accident is same thing as not reporting it - in the eyes of the police.
That doesn’t seem to be how what you cited is written. It mentions they have ten days to report it to Sacramento. Obviously the right thing to do is report it immediately and it seems there is a gray area on if police must be called or not, I would have to read California’s code, but it doesn’t appear to be what you cited.

I’m sure you sounded intimidating to her by tossing out that code, but it doesn’t really seem like the most applicable one. She could probably have said she was going to call and report it as soon as she got home and been “in compliance” with that code.

She should have made a call right then and there to police (possibly non-emergency number since no one seemed injured and the vehicles look like they could be moved out of a dangerous situation if needed). Then made a call to insurance right then and there.

For what it’s worth, Progressive has already deemed the Hyundai 100% at fault. The police report and dashcam made it easy. The simple fact that she made multiple mistakes was her nailing her own coffin. My brother being a lawyer also helped. It turns out my brother has represented the same police department multiple times in the past. It’s funny how the world works sometimes. It’s a done deal guys. The car is getting worked on as we speak and progressive is covering the whole thing, including the loss of value to my car to it being a non-accident car now. I came out 100% whole - minus my time and aggravation.
Good luck at renewal…. Also curious how long you’ve had Progressive. I just got hit with the Tesla bump that a lot of people here have… premium more than doubled at my renewal with zero changes to my record (except for being with progressive longer and ironically qualifying for a higher “membership level” or whatever.)

Reactions: omegafiler

Personally I would have started to slow down some as she was pulling towards the center just in case she’s an idiot and tried to cut in front of me. I wouldn’t have slowed to the point where she felt I was *letting* her cut in front of me, but if I was doing 55 I probably would have slowed to about 45. The trajectories were just too spot on for my comfort. If she acted sooner was would have reached the middle before I hit that spot I wouldn’t slow as much because I would feel I still had that buffer space when she came to a stop in the middle. If she was slower and I knew I would be passed her before she even reached the center I wouldn’t have slowed. But, that timing would have made me nervous. Same situation with a kid or animal running towards a road, even if I know they should stop, I’m slowing down if it looks like our paths are going to intersect.

I absolutely hate the a-holes that will walk right up to the edge of the road (like inches off the edge) when approaching a crosswalk and never life their head or turn it towards me. I’ll slow way down just in case they step right out in front of me, even if I completely have the right of way. I hate this because I always worry they’ll look up as I’m slowing down and think I’m giving them the go ahead to enter the intersection when they shouldn’t. Inconvenience and maybe it pisses off the person behind me for a split second, but I have yet to smash into a pedestrian or vehicle crossing in front of me… hopefully that trend continues.

Might not have totally avoided this situation, but I literally treat every other car/driver like they plan to crash into me at any moment and drive accordingly.

Changing the subject a little… OP, you didn’t happen to have Induction wheels did you? If so, once they’re replaced any chance you want to trade for a perfectly good set of Gemini’s since you’ll be selling the car anyway? 🤣

Somebody who doesn’t REPORT it is braking the law, turning it into a hit and run. That was my point. Someone who gets out of the car and refuses to give info based on the grounds of “I didn’t hit you, why do you need my info” when they clearly caused the accident is same thing as not reporting it - in the eyes of the police.

*breaking :)

Brakes*. You could give me a BREAK though, while your on this bash the OP trip..

It's not giving you a break but looking at facts. You came on that thread to show people how a horrible driver caused an accident on your beautiful tesla and you got different feedback? Maybe they say something useful after all. You say people are trolling you when they just show you the facts.

The reality seems definitely different here.

There are the facts based on the video you send and what you said:
- you had five seconds to react (time from the other driver turning to you having an impact)
- you were going at 40/45 mph
- there was nothing that blocked you from seeing what was happening

You had plenty of time to stay in the line and not even go to a full stop by slowing down from 20 mph to 10 mph. If you apply the brakes within 1 second of seeing her, you should have slowed down and stayed in the lane.

I am not saying the other driver is clearly not the best driver. There are plenty of them all around. But based on the video evidence and what you are saying, I believe you could have avoided that.

And gosh, a thread of 5 pages for this, get a life.