Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an accident..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I absolutely hate the a-holes that will walk right up to the edge of the road (like inches off the edge) when approaching a crosswalk and never life their head or turn it towards me. I’ll slow way down just in case they step right out in front of me, even if I completely have the right of way. I hate this because I always worry they’ll look up as I’m slowing down and think I’m giving them the go ahead to enter the intersection when they shouldn’t.🤣
This drives me crazy when I make U-Turns... Apparently a lot of people don't realize that when U-turns are legal, and unless othewise posted, a person making a U-Turn has right of way over someone on the side street making a right turn on red or stop sign. I always treat the other driver like they are clueless, because I'd rather lose 5 seconds of my time instead of the front end of my car.

Reactions: Exelion
Same with round-a-bouts... The city I live in has a love affair with them, but I swear nobody here knows how to use one... Several times, I've seen people PARK THEIR CAR inside this one particular round-a-bout, blocking the traffic circle, making it so you must go the wrong way around the round-a-bout, or jump the curb to pass.

So last Wednesday, 9/22 this lady in a Hyundai Sonata turned left of front of me..
Now my car is at the collision center - gonna be weeks probably before I get it back.
So if you care to share it, what’s the estimate? As I understand it, you hit the curb, damaged components under the car but no sheet metal damage and no known battery damage. I’m sure it’s an eye watering amount.

Progressive has already said otherwise. She is 100% liable. You should look up “cal vehicle code 16000”. You can make a claim for uninsured motorist regardless of how many vehicles are damaged. Her not having any damage has nothing to do with it. Bottom line is that she is a party involved in damage resulting to my car - as per CVC 16000.1

Consider yourself lucky. Whether Progressive found her 100% at fault or not is not the issue if she's uninsured. The issue is whether Progressive would accept your uninsured motorist claim without contact between the cars which IS required by Vehicle Code Section 11580.2(a)(1). Apparently, with the video, they've decided to accept the claim without actual contact between the vehicles (I guess the requirement, which is to prevent fraud, was deemed by them to be irrelevant under the circumstances where there's a video showing the incident) -- that's good.

Also consider yourself lucky that you have an attorney in the family that will pursue your claims against the driver personally. Most attorneys that handle this type of work would not take such a case as it is impractical. As an uninsured motorist likely doesn't have much in the way of assets and can simply discharge any judgement you get against them via bankruptcy, there's no way for an attorney who works on contingency to get paid if there's never any recovery.

It became obvious person was crossing into your late at 0:11, and impact at 0:14.
3 to 4 seconds of reaction time, not enough to stop from 40~45mph speed.

It is always MUCH easier to second guess and "what if" a video than when it happened.
LOL. reaction time is measured in milliseconds. not seconds. 3 to 4 seconds of figuring out what to do before hitting the brakes would be hilariously long. typical reaction time is *well* under a second.

Yet you keep on responding and justifying... Juli1 and others really got under your very thin skin, huh? ;)

Tap yourself on the back.. you really got me there. You tell me to get a life but you are being just as ridiculous. At the end of the day, your comments mean absolutely nothing to me. I have loose nuts and bolts buried in a toolbox somewhere that I haven’t seen in five years that mean more to me.

No. I braked the best could in the given situation, if the clips had audio you would have heard the tires screech before ABS kicked in. You are judging everything based on the video (which you already know is going to contain an accident) and not my testimony. Very judgmental without totally understanding the situation. Who’s the dick again?

You really, REALLY need the support of anonymous nicks otherwise you're butthurt. :rolleyes:

Thank you Monty! It’s nice to see that not everyone on this forum is from Reddit, and being toxic. Appreciate your support.

I agree that it looks like there wold have been enough time, but as others have pointed out the video as well as the angle/perspective of the camera lens make it difficult to judge. You also have no real feeling for how hard the OP was braking since you‘re not in the car and can’t feel how hard you’re pushing against the seatbelt. As far as avoiding the curb, it looks like the other driver may have started moving over to the right lane but since the OP had already swerved right to try and avoid her he had no place to go.

Another thing I noticed - the other driver pulled out to the median and seemed to pause. When the median is wide enough many people will do this, waiting until an opening comes to complete their turn. When I first saw her I assumed that was the case, then she proceeded to pull out in front of the OP.

To the OP - did the car brake for you? Did you have cruise or AP on? IME the braking on cruise and AP is very conservative and likely would have slammed on the brakes immediately.

Again, that section sounds like it’s about REPORTING it, not about admitting fault.

This also gets into an interesting area. I believe the person that rear ends someone is usually considered at fault even if the front car is a crappy driver (say hitting the brakes because they think the street is their turn at the last minute.) While this wasn’t a rear end accident, they may try to argue that it could have been avoidable. Again, the turn into the far right lane may end up being the sticky point for her being liable.
If you rear-end someone you are at fault unless the other driver improperly merged such that you had no opportunity to adjust your following distance.

It happened with one of my kids’ school busses a few years ago - a driver merged in front of the bus then slammed on his brakes causing the bus to rear end him. Dash cam on the bus showed exactly what happened and the other driver was ruled at fault.

You don’t live in the USA or California. In fact, you guys drive on the wrong side of the road. Things are way different out here. The police, my insurance, and the other 2 dozen people I’ve shown these videos to couldn’t disagree with you more. By the way, I never varied my speed other than slowing down once I saw her coming (I was only going 40-45mph). So this talk about PLENTY of time before speeding back up doesn’t make any sense. A guy gets in an accident and you’re over here offering unsolicited criticism. I thought English people were better mannered. Shame. Stop being a troll - with your hardly used TMC account.

For sure you had plenty of time and space. I see almost all cars everywhere made wide turns. No one turns left into left lane and no one turns right into right lane. So you can pretty much assume that someone turning will cut across lanes.

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar and Yelobird
LOL. reaction time is measured in milliseconds. not seconds. 3 to 4 seconds of figuring out what to do before hitting the brakes would be hilariously long. typical reaction time is *well* under a second.
I was simplifying the entire event, not breaking it down in minuet detail, but yes the reaction time from first seeing danger, analyzing, and reacting is indeed milliseconds.

But really, unless we have the data recordings of the event and his though patterns everyone is just guessing.

I was simplifying the entire event, not breaking it down in minuet detail, but yes the reaction time from first seeing danger, analyzing, and reacting is indeed milliseconds.

But really, unless we have the data recordings of the event and his though patterns everyone is just guessing.
Thanks Monty. Everyone who is sharing how they wouldn’t have had an accident or explaining what I could have done different is entirely based on a simulated CC of the event in their head after seeing a video. I’m over it. Check has already been cut. New Model Y is on order. All the negative people are just hiding being the anonymity of the Internet/screen name. There are always more negative opinions than positive. People suck. Never expected this level of hate. Oh well! But, I haven’t chimed in lately, and don’t care anymore. It’s over and settled way in my favor. Life has gone on.

Reactions: mnevar
Ma
Yet you keep on responding and justifying... Juli1 and others really got under your very thin skin, huh? ;)

You really, REALLY need the support of anonymous nicks otherwise you're butthurt. :rolleyes:
Mark, you know absolutely nothing about me beyond this thread. I’ve responded to literally everyone who commented - both good and bad responses. Those who have been supportive I simply was polite to. Those who have made stupid comments like yours, I have defended myself on. I’m a husband, father, and own my own businesses. Am very proud of what I’ve accomplished in my life and have suffered many hardships along the way. My skin thickness is simply your opinion based on a nearly week old thread. It would be different if you actually knew me, or worked with me/did business with me, we’re a friend in real life etc.. then maybe you could comment on the thickness of my skin. But, if you get off being rude to total strangers who haven’t drawn any blood from you and don’t deserve your BS, then you do you. It speaks volumes about the type of punk that are. You’re just an online bully. Jumping in on a 3-4 day thread to be an a-hole. Really speaks volumes. Implying what I need or why I should be butthurt is wild speculation and an attempt to be insulting to a complete stranger. Get a life and grow up. Do something more constructive with your time - little young’n.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnevar