Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had an accident..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s over and settled way in my favor. Life has gone on.
C950CFAC-E07A-4A3E-AD40-A164E2A1D71A.jpeg

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
NEW Y on order? So this curb incident totaled your car?

Although I guess I'm in the "evil empire" of people who disagree with you, and you'll ignore me, please consider that it would be helpful for ALL OF US to know exactly what damage was done to your car, and why the expense of repair would require that you replace the car?

So, take one for the team, and post what repairs were required after your high-speed brush with the curb.

(I haven't re-read the entire post, and for sure, there were some shitty comments, but they can be ignored. Those that simply disagree probably should NOT be ignored, as we're...all...learning...from...your...experience)

Although I guess I'm in the "evil empire" of people who disagree with you, and you'll ignore me, please consider that it would be helpful for ALL OF US to know exactly what damage was done to your car, and why the expense of repair would require that you replace the car?

So, take one for the team, and post what repairs were required after your high-speed brush with the curb.

(I haven't re-read the entire post, and for sure, there were some shitty comments, but they can be ignored. Those that simply disagree probably should NOT be ignored, as we're...all...learning...from...your...experience)
I don't think it "requires" replacement, I think he was saying he was using it as an excuse to get a performance model, becuase that was what he originally wanted. I think he said he's afraid it won't drive the same, becuase he's afraid the alignment won't be the same, since the suspension components were damaged...

Maybe tanning will help with your thin skin. ;)

Ma

Mark, you know absolutely nothing about me beyond this thread. I’ve responded to literally everyone who commented - both good and bad responses. Those who have been supportive I simply was polite to. Those who have made stupid comments like yours, I have defended myself on. I’m a husband, father, and own my own businesses. Am very proud of what I’ve accomplished in my life and have suffered many hardships along the way. My skin thickness is simply your opinion based on a nearly week old thread. It would be different if you actually knew me, or worked with me/did business with me, we’re a friend in real life etc.. then maybe you could comment on the thickness of my skin. But, if you get off being rude to total strangers who haven’t drawn any blood from you and don’t deserve your BS, then you do you. It speaks volumes about the type of punk that are. You’re just an online bully. Jumping in on a 3-4 day thread to be an a-hole. Really speaks volumes. Implying what I need or why I should be butthurt is wild speculation and an attempt to be insulting to a complete stranger. Get a life and grow up. Do something more constructive with your time - little young’n.

From the start this seemed like a typical for your viewing pleasure thread of the OP's accident. But as this thread has gone on and seeing his responses, it looks as if the OP is just looking for sympathy/positive attention. He is not happy if he sees any negative comments and responds in a defensive manner. To sum up the thread, the OP got cut off, he panic swerved in to a curb. Yes, we all can see the other driver was the cause of the accident, but the OP could have prevented it by reading the situation better. If you see a car pulling in to the median like that, you should always approach with the mindset that the car is going to cut you off. Once the realization came in that the car was not going to stop, applying brakes and staying in your lane would have just cost you a new pair of tighty whities, not a trip to the auto repair shop and days of humorously defending your actions on an online forum.
Once you make the decision to take evasive action versus staying the course, you leave yourself open to taking responsibility for what may occur by that evasive action.
Anyone who's been in an accident knows that if the other party had insurance, there's no way they would have taken 100% responsibility for this accident. Having a family member as an attorney means nothing in a minor, non-injury accident. If two insurance companies can't agree to who's at-fault, they go to arbitration. The neutral arbitrator hears both sides and decides, there's no lawyers involved. So you actually are better off that the other party was un-insured, because by default you were deemed not at fault since the other party had no one to represent them.

I’m not replacing the car. I’m simply getting what I want and putting the repaired Y on Turo as an extra revenue stream. Done and done.

people with different opinion = online bully
people who agree with you = good people

got it!

"Think" while it's still legal!!
Well said. Can’t argue with your point. I was looking for sympathy- 100%. But I forgot that the Internet is the new Wild West. My bad. No ill will towards anyone - after all we are all (and should be) on the same Tesla team. Thanks to everyone for all the comments - both positive or negative. Love you all. Live goes on.

I watched the video multiple times. There is no doubt that from 40MPH and even 50 there was plenty of time to stop. Stopping distance ftom 40MPH should be under 100 feet. The woman enters his side of the road with him at least 200 feet away.
Having said that she is still certainly at fault. The problem is you can’t get blood from Turnip and in the end your insurance is going to be the one paying.

I watched the video multiple times. There is no doubt that from 40MPH and even 50 there was plenty of time to stop. Stopping distance ftom 40MPH should be under 100 feet. The woman enters his side of the road with him at least 200 feet away.
Having said that she is still certainly at fault. The problem is you can’t get blood from Turnip and in the end your insurance is going to be the one paying.
Well he already said it was ruled the other persons fault... I can see why, as I've been in a similar situation... She was turning left from a stop sign. He had no traffic control device... By definition, she is not allowed to proceed without YIELDing to traffic... Lets just say he could've avoided by slamming the brakes a bit sooner... The fact that he would have to alter course means by definition that she FAILED TO YIELD. That's what happened in my case with the other driver when they tried to argue that I could've avoided them. Police said it was irrelevant becuase the other driver failed to yield, and was cited as such.

As far as the cameras are concerned tho... We know nothing about the circumstances... I know I have plenty of dashcam videos, where the visibility looks WAAAAAY better in the video than it actually was... For example, one time a guy almost T-boned me when he was driving at dusk in the rain without his headlights on... When I reviewed the video from my Google Glass, I was surprised how bright the video was, it was much easier to see the other car than it really was.

I doubt visibility was a issue. I looked up the stopping distance from 40 MPH and it’s about 70 feet. From 60 it’s only 118 feet. I really saw no evidence in the video of hard braking at all until just prior to curb impact. It almost looks like the OP planned to just pass her in the right lane assuming she was not going all the way over.
Again however she is clearly at fault. It appears however this was a easily avoidable accident. Take a look again at the video in Utube. You can slow the video way down. At the point she enters the lane there is a lot of distance. One thing that might have caused the OP to not stop is her speed makes it appear as though she might stop and wait for him. Still I would have been on the brakes slowing assuming she would not stop.

Reactions: Yelobird
Well he already said it was ruled the other persons fault... I can see why, as I've been in a similar situation... She was turning left from a stop sign. He had no traffic control device... By definition, she is not allowed to proceed without YIELDing to traffic... Lets just say he could've avoided by slamming the brakes a bit sooner... The fact that he would have to alter course means by definition that she FAILED TO YIELD. That's what happened in my case with the other driver when they tried to argue that I could've avoided them. Police said it was irrelevant becuase the other driver failed to yield, and was cited as such.

As far as the cameras are concerned tho... We know nothing about the circumstances... I know I have plenty of dashcam videos, where the visibility looks WAAAAAY better in the video than it actually was... For example, one time a guy almost T-boned me when he was driving at dusk in the rain without his headlights on... When I reviewed the video from my Google Glass, I was surprised how bright the video was, it was much easier to see the other car than it really was.
It was ruled the other person's fault because they didn't have an insurance company to argue responsibility. In California police do not put who was at fault on the accident reports, they simply state what occurred based on witnesses and those involved in the accident. The police could cite one driver for failing to yield the right of way, but that doesn't mean the other driver isn't partly to blame for the accident. In this case, the OP did not hit the car that cut him off, he hit a curb while trying to avoid her. If the other party had insurance, they would have agreed that, yes their client failed to yield the right of way based on the video, but she did not cause the OP to veer out of his lane and hit the curb. He did that out of panic and caused his own accident. If he just hit the brakes and stayed in a straight line there would not have been any accident at all. We all like to say it's not our fault, but the truth is 99% of accidents are not truly unavoidable. Getting rear ended at a complete stop or getting your parked car hit, are some of the only true examples of there's really nothing else you could have done to avoid it type accidents. Any time you're moving, it's hard to say there's nothing you could have done to avoid or diminish the severity of the accident.

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar and Maxpilot
I doubt visibility was a issue. I looked up the stopping distance from 40 MPH and it’s about 70 feet. From 60 it’s only 118 feet. I really saw no evidence in the video of hard braking at all until just prior to curb impact. It almost looks like the OP planned to just pass her in the right lane assuming she was not going all the way over.
Again however she is clearly at fault. It appears however this was a easily avoidable accident. Take a look again at the video in Utube. You can slow the video way down. At the point she enters the lane there is a lot of distance. One thing that might have caused the OP to not stop is her speed makes it appear as though she might stop and wait for him. Still I would have been on the brakes slowing assuming she would not stop.
Or the OP could have moved to the right lane as soon as he saw the car pull in to the median. Slowing down prior to and/or moving over to the right lane is text book defensive driving. I think you hit the nail on the head, he probably thought he would fly by her in the right lane, honk his horn, give her the finger and yell some things and be on his way. Maybe road rage karma came knocking instead.

Or the OP could have moved to the right lane as soon as he saw the car pull in to the median. Slowing down prior to and/or moving over to the right lane is text book defensive driving. I think you hit the nail on the head, he probably thought he would fly by her in the right lane, honk his horn, give her the finger and yell some things and be on his way. Maybe road rage karma came knocking instead.
Road rage karma?! Really dude? WTF diarrhea of the mouth are you saying? Lol

Road rage karma?! Really dude? WTF diarrhea of the mouth are you saying? Lol
The more I read the thread, your responses and re-watch the video the less sympathetic I feel towards what happened. You definitely could have avoided the accident by doing nothing but staying in your lane. You didn’t even brake hard, it looks like you wanted to fly by her in the right lane. Except she ended up crossing over to the right lane and you panicked and hit the curb. If you think about it, she probably saw you coming in the left lane. She knew she wouldn’t be able to accelerate quick enough to match your speed so she was going to go immediately to the right lane to stay out of your way. It was a bad decision on her part to cut it so close, but again, something that you have to take part of the blame for. The fact that you chased her down demanding she give you her info and incorrectly saying she needed to because of California Vehicle Code 16000 is road rage. Vehicle Code 16000 gives each party up to 10 days to report an accident, it doesn’t need to be done immediately. All you needed was her license plate and you could have reported it.
Based on the fact that you can’t take comments that are negative and respond so defensively and with hilariously immature responses is just making you look even more ridiculous.

when people in the model 3 subforum post about accidents, and someone says "hey post the video" and I say "I really really advise against doing that, because you have absolutely nothing to gain. Additionally, some TMC people really really REALLY love digging into these type things to assign blame", I get pushback from some saying "its up to them, etc".

This thread is a perfect example of why I say that, and why NO ONE should post an accident video here unless they are open to discussion on everything they "should have done" or "could have done" and driving codes, etc etc. There is absolutely zero to gain, except "a bunch of random people online agree with me" if that happens, but normally its a bunch of people digging into "if you look carefully, at 2:14, you can see a slight hesitation......." type stuff.

I will say again, NO ONE should ever post their accident videos here unless the discussion in this thread is what they want.