Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had M3 home delivered, but not happy with paint and interior flaws

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my Model 3 SR black/black w/ AP this weekend. There is no delivery or service center close to where I live, so I had to get the car delivered to me. The car is a dream to drive, but I'm not happy with the finish on the paint and there are pieces of trim on the interior that protrude.

Since I live 7 hours away from a service center, I'm not enthused about the prospect of taking the car over there to have them fix the issues it has. I am considering rejecting this car and asking to be matched with another one, however I am wondering how Tesla matches people who reject their vehicle. Is their vehicle match "pool" other rejected vehicles? I am concerned that I will receive a car that another person rejected that might have issues more severe than mine.

Can anyone with experience with the rejection process chime in on how it went for them? Were they issued a new vehicle or was it a rejected/showroom vehicle that Tesla refurbished?

Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
I just took delivery of my Model 3 SR black/black w/ AP this weekend. There is no delivery or service center close to where I live, so I had to get the car delivered to me. The car is a dream to drive, but I'm not happy with the finish on the paint and there are pieces of trim on the interior that protrude.

Since I live 7 hours away from a service center, I'm not enthused about the prospect of taking the car over there to have them fix the issues it has. I am considering rejecting this car and asking to be matched with another one, however I am wondering how Tesla matches people who reject their vehicle. Is their vehicle match "pool" other rejected vehicles? I am concerned that I will receive a car that another person rejected that might have issues more severe than mine.

Can anyone with experience with the rejection process chime in on how it went for them? Were they issued a new vehicle or was it a rejected/showroom vehicle that Tesla refurbished?

Thanks in advance.

Speaking from experience, return it now. It will take time for you to get your money back in case that is a requirement for a new car. Maybe they will rip up the check? Not sure. Don't let it drag on.

Reactions: 1 person
Since you took delivery of the car you are past the “rejection” process. But you can still return it within 7 days if you are not happy with it. However there is no guarantee that the next one they bring to you won’t have the same or worse issues. I’m not familiar with the Tesla market in New Orleans but if as you say the nearest service center is 7 hours away I would be reluctant personally to own a Tesla. Are you really going to drive it 7 hours any time it needs minor stuff done? Mobile rangers are limited on what they can do. This sounds like it could be problematic for you.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I drive 2 hours to service and that alone has made me rethink buying another Tesla with how many trips I have already had to make to service. 1/4 of my miles 8 months later have been going to/from service. One service was mobile service but they seem limited to what they can really do. At least in my area. Headed to service tomorrow to replace windshield that cracked when I sprayed off the car. There was a small pit less than 1mm in the crack. Bad glass or install IMO. BTW, I also had paint issue upon delivery and having it fixed went realllly sideways. If I got a do over, I would have rejected cars with paint issues until I got one that was acceptable.

I wanted to thank everyone for their advice! I'm fortunate in that I didn't dispose of my current vehicle, so I've decided to return my M3 and roll the dice again.
Return it and wait for an alternative. Also what is the VIN range for your car?
VIN range is 305XXX.

So FYI Tesla is intending to build a service center in my area. They've leased the building, but I think our legislature blocked them from opening a delivery center. I hope they are willing to set up a service center without the delivery portion to take care of us local customers, as I've been seeing a lot of Teslas day-to-day.
I drive 2 hours to service and that alone has made me rethink buying another Tesla with how many trips I have already had to make to service. 1/4 of my miles 8 months later have been going to/from service. One service was mobile service but they seem limited to what they can really do. At least in my area. Headed to service tomorrow to replace windshield that cracked when I sprayed off the car. There was a small pit less than 1mm in the crack. Bad glass or install IMO. BTW, I also had paint issue upon delivery and having it fixed went realllly sideways. If I got a do over, I would have rejected cars with paint issues until I got one that was acceptable.
I indicated to my rep that I'd rather get one that I'm happy with than try to fix one.

On an unrelated note, does anyone else have to slam the doors pretty hard to get them to close? (Sorry for the thread hijack, can I even hijack my own thread?) It's uncomfortable certainly for me when my wife closes the passenger door, and I've seen her wince when I do the same on the driver's side. We try to apply as little force as needed, but it just doesn't latch unless you really whip it.

Thanks again everyone :)