Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my First Test Drive Today.. Hmmmmmm...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own cars that have many different personalities, and I love each one for what it does differently.

The Model S replaced my Chevy Suburban for hauling around a family of 6, something that usually only an SUV or mini-van can do. When you go with an SUV or mini-van, you lose sooooo much. Now that said, the Model S is also so damn fun to drive, even when by yourself. I just can't imagine wanting to have a day of fun sightseeing by myself and saying "I think I'll drive the Caravan today." Yet, with a Model S, you want to. It has that instant, continuous thrust, that launch that VERY few cars can let you feel (especially without the jarring gear-jamming).

There are days, though, when I can and do appreciate the rumbling V8 and jear-gamming ritual beneath me, and that's when the GTO comes out to play. 389 tri-power with a well-connected 4-speed just has a feeling and a rumble to it that you have to respect and appreciate, even as the deep-throated rumble tends to fade away to the whiny sounds of today's engines, turbo & superchargers, and 6/8/9 speed auto transmissions (which feel way too "spongy" for me).

Then there are days when you want to reconnect with an earlier time... the '64 1/2 Mustang (with the 170 ci 6-cylinder that does 0-60 in about 104.2 seconds) just has that "family outing" feel to it. I can't explain that one easily, but there is definitely a day to enjoy that.

I guess the bottom line is that we're all drawn to different things. I didn't buy the Tesla just because it's electric, nor did I buy it because "Global Warming Is Going To Kill Us All!!11!!11!ELEVENTYONE!11!!(tm)". I bought it because it was a confluence between beauty, technology, performance, and - yes - lower environmental impact (although this one is the lowest of those four).

I ordered our car after seeing the engineering that went into the vehicle online. Actually rode in one prior to delivery but never had a chance to drive a Tesla. We have the slowest model and it is faster than any other car I have owned Audi A4 etc. The silence speaks volumes so I don't miss the engine noise. It is really a leap ahead in automotive engineering. No noise and pure power.

Wow.. What a group. I can't say I'm surprised to hear such thoughtful, articulate opinions and perspectives from the drivers of such a conscious car. That being said.. Thank you.

Also, to those who quickly dismiss my post as "just another gas guzzler", "This car is obviously not for you", or "This car will never float your boat", simply because I have enjoyed driving and experiencing fast cars, like the noise of the engine, and have even become accustomed to it, was really not helpful.. If I was part of a group hoping to inspire change, and there was a curious, eager, and interested potential driver that approached - Then I would handle him/her with respect, patience, understanding, and the perspective that most of you on here gave. I'm not at all closed to abandoning ICE cars.. I'm a very sensitive, conscious and open person who was clearly drawn to this car and what it represents..

Because my initial test drive may have been blurred by the unfair comparison to more aggressively produced vehicles, absolutely does not mean that I am going to abandon my vast interest in Tesla and go buy a Range Rover Supercharged, or Viper.. It means that I want to hear your experiences, and if others had similar experiences (which many noted they had).. I'm happy to make sacrifices, in order to gain in other areas for myself and for the fate of the planet.

My last car was a 335d. I bought it back in 2010 because I felt it would have the same feeling as driving an electric car.... I

An S85 is very unlikely to save you any money over the 335d over the long haul. I felt very justified in moving from the 335d to my P85 ....

Fortunately in my case we would be keeping the 335D as our ICE vehicle. If were were to spring for the S, it would replace our currently "larger" car, BMW 540iT (station wagon for those not familiar with the nomenclature). At 15 years old, 150K+ miles not sure how much longer we can keep it. This is a V8 (no turbos!) with MPG more in line with most of the economy comparisons for the Tesla.

While up until now I've enjoyed the BMWs and the driving experience, I was recently struck by several realizations. The company no longer specializes in making cars with a unique driver experience. They have changed to be geared more towards mass marketing and selling to people who want a status symbol. The other is half the teenagers out there are driving a BMW 3 series, something I could not afford until I was well into my 40's. I prefer not to have the same car as the teenager across the street, but rather drive something that is different/unique. The BMW V8 wagon is actually one of the rarest BMW models imported into the US, and with the Diesel I was an early adopter. Myself an the other 10K or so owners involuntarily helped BMW debug the new and very complex diesel emissions control system. We get to deal with this little issue of carbon buildup. Thus being an early adopter, purchasing an S is just in my nature (just need to make it in my SO's nature).

I HATE to say this or offend anyone, but it felt a little boring...Have others here had similar experiences, and if so, did you overcome it, and how? I'd love to hear about it. ... I love everything in theory about the car, even the power delivery.. I just wonder if it's not a fit for me based on my past car loves.. Thoughts?
Sorry if my comments offended; however, I don't think one should have to "overcome" the feeling that a car just doesn't punch the right buttons. Life is too short, so every car I've purchased had to feel right from the get go. Relying on "theory" to bridge the lack of an emotional connection just isn't going to cut the mustard. The S is an incredible car for some, but others will find it just doesn't satisfy. There is no reason to be ashamed to admit that a highly aclaimed anything just isn't for you.

I have yet to test drive. Part of the reason is my rule to never test a car that I could not buy. Lets face it, the S85 is pretty costly up front so need to work the justifications (with the SO). But it's interesting many talk about the instant power and the torque. I currently drive a BMW 335D and the diesel most definitely delivers torque. (425 ft/lbs from a 3.0 liter 6-cyl). For the diesel BMW, it gives that surge, like a big hand pushing you in the back, but with a low revving diesel does so without any fanfare. In some ways similar to the S85. I wonder if our European counterparts, where the diesel is more common, are less impressed by that torque feeling?

As a few people have mentioned, it's not just the torque. It's the response time and the precision. There is basically zero delay between the time you press the pedal and time power hits the road. No gearshifts, no engine revving to gain momentum, etc. The power is just there. The power delivery also feels very precise. You can add just a little or you can add a lot. You can use the throttle to make tiny adjustments in the balance of the car as you're passing or in a corner.

The only other time I've felt something similar is driving a Ferrari that had the F1-style paddle shifters and electronic clutch with the engine revving in the middle of the power curve.

But you can't keep an ICE in the sweet spot of the power curve all the time - you'll wear the engine out. Whereas the S feels like that all the time. Every minute of every day.

Having said that, it's not as visceral an experience as driving the Ferrari. No engine screaming in your ears, etc. But personally, I've got good hearing so I really like a quiet car.

My 2 cents. I test drove all the versions and, as expected, found the P85+ clearly the sportiest but chose an S85. It's plenty fast, seems at least as fast as my Boxster S, and hits the sweet spot balancing cost,range, and performance. 99% of the time it's my daily driving choice. For tight mountain roads of course it doesn't match the responsiveness of the Box, but it is the least aggravating car I've had for traffic and is a great trip car. I'd compare it to the best GT cars like the 928 Porsches rather than true sports cars. Like many others I love the smooth power (no turbo lag, drive train/shifting lurch, narrow torque band). I've grown to love silent but deadly.

it felt a little boring.. I remember test driving the 911, and feeling the hair raise on my neck, and my adrenaline flow.. I didn't have that with the model S.. Perhaps the P85 would have suited me more? The problem is, I don't want to spend the money on the P85 car..

Very good post, you raise some great points. Here are my thoughts, hope I didn't type too much :)

You may need the P85 if the S85 isn't thrilling you. At least, schedule a test drive... and when they say "nail it" - don't pull any punches. I mean, you need to bang your foot down on it. (and make sure Creep Mode is turned off first) Assuming its tires are in good shape and you aren't driving on a patch of gravel, the car will leap forward in a way that ought to choke you if you aren't holding your tongue to the front of your mouth!!!! (later on when the tires are worn, it peels out a bit)

I understand what you mean by "boring" - it lacks driver involvement because frankly, there is less for the driver to do - only two pedals and no gears. There isn't even an automatic gearbox trying to anticipate what gear you should be in. But, consider this - the reason ICE cars have gearboxes (either manual or automatic) is because their engines have torque curves - you only have the maximum amount of accelerative force inside a certain range of the entire rev range, and you need to switch from gear to gear to be able to stay at that max torque as much as possible; mess it up and you can't accelerate (or drive uphill, etc. etc.) the way you want. The Model S has an electric motor which (as with Nissan Leaf, Chevy Spark EV etc. etc.) has all of its torque, all the time. You don't need to worry about being in the right gear before standing on the pedal. You are always at the best possible torque situation when you need to do something with the speed of the car. Eliminating the need for gear management allows you to spend more of your brain cells on where the car is pointed and what you want it to do. After 14,000 miles of driving mine I can tell you it is an awesome advantage.

If you're into drag races, it's nice that you don't have to hold the car with the brake pedal. You are always poised to nail the pedal and race off faster than the competition.

The sound of the car is great, too. With such a low noise floor, your stereo system sounds way better than any ICE car could. You can conduct conversations with anyone in the car without having to shout. (you can still shout if you want to :) ) Lastly do not forget that the car makes no sound to outside observers; it is common to look around when you hear a sporty (or just plain loud) car rev up to perform some maneuver. If that is what you seek... if you actually want to attract the attention of onlookers via a noisy engine... then stick with ICE cars, the Tesla can't do it! But if you want the privacy to do what you want, when you want to do it... without attracting anyone's attention (especially at night)... something that is impossible with noisy ICE cars... the Tesla is your solution. I have "punched it" countless times, safe in the knowledge that no-one on the outside has no idea what I'm doing. That sort of stealth is priceless.

Speed is something you are already used to. The base Model S has a ton of it and it can outpace older Porsches. You need the P85 to be able to outpace most new Porsches (and of course it isn't as fast as the fastest Porsches). If you want a ton of speed the P85 should be worth it. Consider getting a used car or a store demo model if you're worried about the price. Don't forget that store demo models are never driven without a Tesla Employee in the passenger seat, so it's pretty hard for them to be abused.

If you ever need to drive people around that aren't into cars - e.g. driving your elderly grandmother to church or whatever - the Model S also makes a great car for that, since when driven gently, passengers have no idea the car has 443lb/ft and can get to 60mph in 4.2. To them it is a supremely quiet and comfortable ride, and the lack of gears means that, with the right skill from the driver, you can take anyone on a smooth-as-glass journey. Perhaps this doesn't appeal to you by itself, but if you could do it in your Porsche or BMW 535 whenever you wanted to, it might be a cool feature, no?

One of the unique things I admire about the Model S is its efficiency. Assuming a gallon of gasoline has 34,020kWh in it (per Wikipedia), my lifetime average energy usage has been equivalent to 97mpg US, and I regularly drive it with the equivalent of 125mpg or higher (driving gently). This is 5 times better than most fast ICE cars.

I also like the fact that the regular brake pedal does not get used much - you slow the car down via "regen" almost 100% of the time. The brake parts hardly get used! Consequently they last a long time, I think I have heard it to be more than 100,000 miles. This compares very favourably with fast ICE cars, whose brake parts are usually worn out pretty quickly.

The Model S form factor makes it super-compelling - it's quiet on the inside and quiet on the outside, can be brutally fast if you want it, or super gentle if you want it, it has a flat floor with tons of interior space for hauling stuff and/or people, including lots of legroom in the back. An elderly friend of mine was recently considering getting a treadmill and wanted to find someone with a truck to haul it, because the box wouldn't fit into his Buick Rendezvous SUV. We determined that it would fit just fine in my Model S :) I've hauled an 8-foot ladder around in it several times too. You can't get all these things in any other vehicle IMO.

I hope this helps -M

MatinAustin-

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful reply.. Your points absolutely show the advantages and reasons why one could not only sacrifice the behaviors of the ICEngine, but why it would be easily discarded for the refined abilities of the Model S.

To those who think my original lack of excitement on the test drive is the end all be all, and that I won't be happy with the car, thanks for your opinion. I've had similar reactions to things in the past, and often my expectations get in the way of "seeing the forest through the trees"..

Very good post, you raise some great points. Here are my thoughts, hope I didn't type too much :)

You may need the P85 if the S85 isn't thrilling you. At least, schedule a test drive... and when they say "nail it" - don't pull any punches. I mean, you need to bang your foot down on it. (and make sure Creep Mode is turned off first) Assuming its tires are in good shape and you aren't driving on a patch of gravel, the car will leap forward in a way that ought to choke you if you aren't holding your tongue to the front of your mouth!!!! (later on when the tires are worn, it peels out a bit)

I understand what you mean by "boring" - it lacks driver involvement because frankly, there is less for the driver to do - only two pedals and no gears. There isn't even an automatic gearbox trying to anticipate what gear you should be in. But, consider this - the reason ICE cars have gearboxes (either manual or automatic) is because their engines have torque curves - you only have the maximum amount of accelerative force inside a certain range of the entire rev range, and you need to switch from gear to gear to be able to stay at that max torque as much as possible; mess it up and you can't accelerate (or drive uphill, etc. etc.) the way you want. The Model S has an electric motor which (as with Nissan Leaf, Chevy Spark EV etc. etc.) has all of its torque, all the time. You don't need to worry about being in the right gear before standing on the pedal. You are always at the best possible torque situation when you need to do something with the speed of the car. Eliminating the need for gear management allows you to spend more of your brain cells on where the car is pointed and what you want it to do. After 14,000 miles of driving mine I can tell you it is an awesome advantage.

If you're into drag races, it's nice that you don't have to hold the car with the brake pedal. You are always poised to nail the pedal and race off faster than the competition.

The sound of the car is great, too. With such a low noise floor, your stereo system sounds way better than any ICE car could. You can conduct conversations with anyone in the car without having to shout. (you can still shout if you want to :) ) Lastly do not forget that the car makes no sound to outside observers; it is common to look around when you hear a sporty (or just plain loud) car rev up to perform some maneuver. If that is what you seek... if you actually want to attract the attention of onlookers via a noisy engine... then stick with ICE cars, the Tesla can't do it! But if you want the privacy to do what you want, when you want to do it... without attracting anyone's attention (especially at night)... something that is impossible with noisy ICE cars... the Tesla is your solution. I have "punched it" countless times, safe in the knowledge that no-one on the outside has no idea what I'm doing. That sort of stealth is priceless.

Speed is something you are already used to. The base Model S has a ton of it and it can outpace older Porsches. You need the P85 to be able to outpace most new Porsches (and of course it isn't as fast as the fastest Porsches). If you want a ton of speed the P85 should be worth it. Consider getting a used car or a store demo model if you're worried about the price. Don't forget that store demo models are never driven without a Tesla Employee in the passenger seat, so it's pretty hard for them to be abused.

If you ever need to drive people around that aren't into cars - e.g. driving your elderly grandmother to church or whatever - the Model S also makes a great car for that, since when driven gently, passengers have no idea the car has 443lb/ft and can get to 60mph in 4.2. To them it is a supremely quiet and comfortable ride, and the lack of gears means that, with the right skill from the driver, you can take anyone on a smooth-as-glass journey. Perhaps this doesn't appeal to you by itself, but if you could do it in your Porsche or BMW 535 whenever you wanted to, it might be a cool feature, no?

One of the unique things I admire about the Model S is its efficiency. Assuming a gallon of gasoline has 34,020kWh in it (per Wikipedia), my lifetime average energy usage has been equivalent to 97mpg US, and I regularly drive it with the equivalent of 125mpg or higher (driving gently). This is 5 times better than most fast ICE cars.

I also like the fact that the regular brake pedal does not get used much - you slow the car down via "regen" almost 100% of the time. The brake parts hardly get used! Consequently they last a long time, I think I have heard it to be more than 100,000 miles. This compares very favourably with fast ICE cars, whose brake parts are usually worn out pretty quickly.

The Model S form factor makes it super-compelling - it's quiet on the inside and quiet on the outside, can be brutally fast if you want it, or super gentle if you want it, it has a flat floor with tons of interior space for hauling stuff and/or people, including lots of legroom in the back. An elderly friend of mine was recently considering getting a treadmill and wanted to find someone with a truck to haul it, because the box wouldn't fit into his Buick Rendezvous SUV. We determined that it would fit just fine in my Model S :) I've hauled an 8-foot ladder around in it several times too. You can't get all these things in any other vehicle IMO.

I hope this helps -M

Jeffreyjames--Lot's of folks have weighed in on why you shouldn't give up on the Tesla just yet. Here a couple of additional points that I hope will play out in Tesla's benefit over the long-term versus the many great ICE options that are out there:

1. No gas station visits. I simply cannot wait to never pump gas again. Even better, the car is "full" every morning.
2. Supercharging road trips. I hate turnpike and roadside gas stations even more than my local gas station. Seems like most of the superchargers are in better than average locations.
3. Software updates. To be sure, people on this forum get frustrated by the speed at which new features are added via software downloads, but you won't find any (or very few anyway) other cars where new features get added to old cars.
4. Safety. The Model S continues to impress with its safety record. Just watch the NHTSA crash tests.
5. Amazing flexibility. For a sport sedan, the car is amazingly versatile. Look at how much stuff Bjorn stuffs into his car in his series of youtube videos.
6. Intangibles. Even in my short test drives (3 in total) there is something immensely satisfying about driving the Model S. It just seems remarkable that this is Tesla's first car that it designed completely in-house.

Other considerations that aren't really about the car itself:

1. Trailblazing. I, and I think many people here, like to be a part of technological change and transformation. Hopefully, this trail will lead to a long-term change in how vehicles are powered. We could all be wrong, of course, but let's hope not.
2. Secondary Benefits. I think there is the possibility that all the work going into the battery technology, gigafactory, etc. might lead to new battery products that are more efficient, longer-lasting and create less waste in the long run.
3. Shaking up the auto industry. Seems like everyone is sick of the dealership model and the games that go with it. Hopefully Tesla will get the automakers to start reforming their systems and approaches so that every auto consumer benefits.

I can't help anyone with their emotional bonding (or lack thereof) to a car (which for me is still #1 on the list--if I think the car is ugly, boring or passe I'm already looking elsewhere), but an additional item that may appeal to the logical side is the service experience. So far my experience has been better at Tesla as opposed to the other luxury dealerships, and many of those have been quite good. The number of moving parts is far less with an EV as well, which should translate to fewer visits and quicker turn-around when a repair is needed. Oil change? What is that? The entire drive train in the S is modular-another service plus. Who else can swap out the engine and transmission in just a couple of hours?

The S is also one of the safest cars on the road, and the risk of a fire following an accident is less since the fuel isn't liquid or explosive, and the total amount of energy is less than what's in a full tank of gas. All aluminum cars also tend to absorb energy in a crash better than steel bodied designs.

Also important to me is a car that excels at it's job without drawing unecessary attention to itself. Giant spoilers, loud exhaust, ultra low profile tires, excessive chrome, gun slit windows, and wild paint --I'll leave those cars to Justin Beiber...for me some amount of "boring" is a good thing.

Last edited:
OP - comparing the S85 to the 911 is not a fair comparison at all. First off, if you do not plan on spending the money for the P, then a 911 shouldn't even be considered as they run around the price of a P. What I can say about the Tesla is that interior parts are not quite as nice as my European and Italian cars. On the driving end, the P85+ is a great car. Loads of torque from the get and very easy to drive.

Since change for most people is hard, you post is most understandable.

If on the other hand you had driven a quiet electric car for most of your life, and someone gave you a test drive in a gas car, and you were told you had to endure all that noise, clutch every couple seconds, match revs with the transmission and engine to get a smooth ride, and the engine noise would be constantly changing, you might also feel the same way, but in reverse.

All that noise and vibration gives the driver the sensation that they are somehow interconnected with moving the car down the road. With the Tesla is is all unnecessary.

Saleen is making an aftermarket racing transmission for Tesla with straight cut gears to add noise to the experience. It will change volume and frequency with changes in throttle and revs. Should give auditory feedback to those who want such a thing.

While gear shifts and exhaust notes are missing from the Model S EV, you get some new drivability attributes. Here is what I found in our S85

- As other have said, you are always in max torque band no matter what speed. Instant seat of the pants acceleration at any time any speed.
- Single pedal driving. Brakes are hardly ever touched as the more aggressive regenerative brarking brakes fairly aggressively. So "coasting" now is just applying less juice.
- Awesome car in traffic! the serenity without a vibrating engine and knowing you are basically spending no energy while sitting still is very peaceful. Same in our Prius when ICE shuts off in traffic.
- The cornering ability of Model S is impressive given the massive 800+ pound battery on the floor. I've not driven a lot of ICE sports cars but can definitely feel Model S's low center of gravity.

So yes, lose some driver involvement and roaring noise but you gain other EV unique driving attributes. P85 is noticeably quicker+eager than S85. Give that a try as others have mentioned.

Oh yeah and realizing going to the best priced gas station is a total chore was a surprise to me. Imagine if you had to go to the bank every few days... total chore. But this has nothing to do with drivability :)

Last edited:
All great reasons to love the Model S.

I also have learned to love the simplicity of the experience. Someone else mentioned fewer things to fret over. Not just that, but the center screen that does what it says it does well (nav, radio, etc). Acceleration is super smooth--nail it and the power is always there. I love I don't have to start the car with a key and lock/unlock the doors manually--notably fewer steps to get in an drive, something not really realized until you've had the car for a week or so. The silence of the car just makes me want to be in it as much as possible--I took a road trip from Minneapolis to Nashville and back this month just so I could drive the car more and try out the supercharger network.. brilliant. Maintenance is dead simple--there basically isn't any beyond tires and washer fluid. The other thing that was totally unexpected was the downright pleasure of valet service--the service center picks up your car at your office or where ever it is and gives you a loaner.. then swaps it back when they are done with it--I'd almost buy it just for that service and the knowledge and attentiveness of the service staff.

The car has really brought back the joy of driving for me. It's kind of a driver's car with only traction control and ABS getting in the way--no falling asleep alerts or all that other stuff--just get in you drive the thing. I've had many S-Classes over the years and while the appointments are not as luxurious as the S-Class, as my wife says "We've seen the future and we can't go back"--the whole package of the EV powertrain, unique features, utter convenience and simplicity, with outstanding service is unbeatable. Not paying for gas and repairs helps the financial argument, and the environmental benefits are a pleasant side-effect too.

OH, one other thing that also is unique to the Model S--it's so largely driven on software that it's continuously upgradable. Our car has more features today then when we bought it. And it will have more features in the upcoming months/years. An upcoming example I'm excited about, version 6 of the OS is rumored to have a whole new navigation system in it--upgrades like this are unheard of in regular cars (although they are probably working to get there someday too but is fundamentally more difficult). The car isn't self driving today--but maybe tomorrow it will be! :)

Best of luck with your decision!

-m

Last edited:
All great reasons to love the Model S.

I also have learned to love the simplicity of the experience. Someone else mentioned fewer things to fret over. Not just that, but the center screen that does what it says it does well (nav, radio, etc). Acceleration is super smooth--nail it and the power is always there. I love I don't have to start the car with a key and lock/unlock the doors manually--notably fewer steps to get in an drive, something not really realized until you've had the car for a week or so. The silence of the car just makes me want to be in it as much as possible--I took a road trip from Minneapolis to Nashville and back this month just so I could drive the car more and try out the supercharger network.. brilliant. Maintenance is dead simple--there basically isn't any beyond tires and washer fluid. The other thing that was totally unexpected was the downright pleasure of valet service--the service center picks up your car at your office or where ever it is and gives you a loaner.. then swaps it back when they are done with it--I'd almost buy it just for that service and the knowledge and attentiveness of the service staff.

The car has really brought back the joy of driving for me. It's kind of a driver's car with only traction control and ABS getting in the way--no falling asleep alerts or all that other stuff--just get in you drive the thing. I've had many S-Classes over the years and while the appointments are not as luxurious as the S-Class, as my wife says "We've seen the future and we can't go back"--the whole package of the EV powertrain, unique features, utter convenience and simplicity, with outstanding service is unbeatable. Not paying for gas and repairs helps the financial argument, and the environmental benefits are a pleasant side-effect too.

OH, one other thing that also is unique to the Model S--it's so largely driven on software that it's continuously upgradable. Our car has more features today then when we bought it. And it will have more features in the upcoming months/years. An upcoming example I'm excited about, version 6 of the OS is rumored to have a whole new navigation system in it--upgrades like this are unheard of in regular cars (although they are probably working to get there someday too but is fundamentally more difficult). The car isn't self driving today--but maybe tomorrow it will be! :)

Best of luck with your decision!

-m
I'm going to frame this. Excellent.

I think you've gotten some really great feedback here. The instant power delivery, the complete lack of mechanical lag, and the ability to punch it whenever you want without worrying about drawing unwanted attention are all unique advantages to the Model S. But, yeah, what about the visceral experience? What about the auditory and sensory cues we've all become accustomed to driving ICE cars? What happens when you lose the cues that there's an incredibly powerful machine under your control? Is it still any fun? Is there any connection? Is it all silence and boredom?

I came to the Model S by way of manual transmissions and later dual clutch wonderboxes. I've chipped the ECUs on twin turbos and superchargers alike. Modified intakes and exhausts to get more raw, visceral sound and hear those sweet sounds. All to enhance the experience of the characteristics of a gas engine. Here's the thing I discovered: the Model S has its visceral cues, too. They're just different.

Free of the noise of an engine you can hear things you've never heard before when punching it. You just have to retrain yourself to listen. It doesn't take long, but it takes longer than a single test drive.

What are they? For a start, have you ever heard the sound of your tires literally clawing at the pavement for traction as you accelerate? You can actually hear the connection between your tires and the road surface underneath in a Model S in a way that's impossible in an ICE. As you accelerate, that sounds increases, too. It mixes wonderfully with the "spooling up" sound of the electric motor. There is a connection there. The more you do it, the more you learn to listen to it. I've come to love it every bit as much as the whine of a supercharger or the growl of an exhaust. Launch, claw, grab, spool, traction, rev, whoosh! It's fantastic!

Likewise, have you ever been able to judge your rate of acceleration or speed by the sound of the air rushing past the car before? In the Model S you can. Again, it's something subtle, something you wouldn't expect, something you've never been trained to listen for before because you could never hear it over the racket of an engine. But now you can. And believe me, these new sounds are glorious. And liberating.

Think about this for a second: do people find roller coasters boring because they don't make engine sounds?

Go for it. What have you got to lose? If you really don't like it, sell it. Those other cars will still be around for a while longer. But I'll bet you won't. :)

Last edited:
IMHO it's somewhat of a leap of faith buying the Model S. It's so different then anything anyone has seen and *appears* a risky buy--I mean, it's too expensive to not love it. But after waiting that agonizing 3 months and have your delivery ceremony, a week of driving it you'll never go back.

I guess I was lucky, 2 minutes into my wife's test drive and she tells me she doesn't care how much it costs we have to get it. :)

-m

Hi All-
My questions is this.. Have others here had similar experiences, and if so, did you overcome it, and how? I'd love to hear about it.. Thoughts?

Since Christian von Koenigsegg, supercar builder and obviously proven "car guy" has a Model S as his daily driver, I figure there must be a way to overcome "boring" feelings.:wink: Probably should also have included Juan Pablo Montoya, another Model S owner, in that thought process.