Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my test drive yesterday, probably gonna bail out because...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone has their own reasons. Good that you recognize yours. Knowing yourself is 80% of the battle.

Here are my reasons for buying the Model S that I wrote down like the good nerd I am (in no particular order):

1) Life is short.
2) It is my own personal jihad against terrorism and oil dependence, and maybe even the 70 virgins come later after I buy the car.
3) I dislike going to the gas station b/c I feel like it's a waste of my time (same reason I drive a Prius).
4) I no longer want to feel guilty spending and sending petrodollars out of the US with every gas fill-up.
5) Solar panels on my home's roof means I'm driving on sunshine.
6) It is like an insurance policy from geopolitical and financial crises adversely affecting oil prices.
7) I like tech, and this car is uber-geeky.
8) Earth is our island in the universe and our only one. I want to minimize damaging the planet.
9) I pay a lot of taxes like everyone else, and I only see more food-stamps and free cell phones in the news. Now it's my turn for a government subsidy since Telsa took a $465 million guaranteed, low-interest gov't loan to make this high-tech car happen so I can get it.

Given that she loves the GS F Sport, it sounds to me like she wants a mid-sized electric sport sedan. I don't believe there are any of those on the market yet.
The Leaf is in fact a mid-size car, but a 4 door hatchback not a sports sedan. They will put the Leaf drivetrain on an Infinity G series in 2014. I, for one, believe none of the majors pose a threat to the Telsa brand , even if SAAB goes all-electric.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the roadster is a good choice for me, and before I bought my Cayman S, I was very close to buying a used Roadster. Regarding why I would replace the Lexus that she loves, I placed my deposit for the Model S 8 months before getting the GS, so that was my original plan for a replacement for her Panamera, but that car didn't make it long enough.

The Panamera is a good car to compare it to because it is almost the same length (196") and 1 inch narrower (76" without mirrors) than the Model S. Driving the Panamera, my wife had no issues with the length of the car, but the width made it hard to park and get in and out of our garage. The Tesla S is a wide car and 700 lbs heavier than the Panamera.

All I am saying is that the Model S is a big car, not a mid-size luxury car. At this point in our lives, with grown kids, we are no longer in need of a big car. I didn't really appreciate how big it is until I drove it and parked it in a parking lot along the test drive. Also the car needs to be raised up when parking because the front won't clear the bump-stops or curbs in front.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, the roadster is a good choice for me, and before I bought my Cayman S, I was very close to buying a used Roadster. Regarding why I would replace the Lexus that she loves, I placed my deposit for the Model S 8 months before getting the GS, so that was my original plan for a replacement for her Panamera, but that car didn't make it long enough.

The Panamera is a good car to compare it to because it is almost the same length (196") and 1 inch narrower (76" without mirrors) than the Model S. Driving the Panamera, my wife had no issues with the length of the car, but the width made it hard to park and get in and out of our garage. The Tesla S is a wide car and 700 lbs heavier that the Panamera.

All I am saying is that the Model S is a big car, not a mid-size luxury car. At this point in our lives, with grown kids, we are no longer in need of a big car. I didn't really appreciate how big it is until I drove it and parked it in a parking lot along the test drive. Alsothe car needs to be raised up when parking because the front won't clear the bump-stops or curbs in front.

Yes, Model S is definitely not a small car. Get something your wife will enjoy and by the time the GenIII cars are out it'll be time to get her a new car anyways. GenIII should be quite a bit smaller than Model S based on its BMW 3 Series target.

Likely you can get the high performance model with all the bells and whistles in the $60-$70k range. Also, by then the whole SuperCharger situation will be more clarified and the cars themselves will likely be more refined.

The Leaf is in fact a mid-size car, but a 4 door hatchback not a sports sedan. They will put the Leaf drivetrain on an Infinity G series in 2014. I, for one, believe none of the majors pose a threat to the Telsa brand , even if SAAB goes all-electric.

Tesla is a better designed product IMO because it was engineered from day one as an electric vehicle without all the preconceived concepts in car building, and they are able to manufacture as such, not by adapting an already existing platform.

On your other point, if my wife really loves the Lexus GS, do you really think a Nissan Leaf is a good alternative? Can you imagune her expression when I returned home one day and said, "Honey, I traded your 2013 Lexus GS F Sport for a brand new Nissan Leaf!!!"? I wouldn't get any for a year.

She's keeping the Lexus for a while.

Yes, Model S is definitely not a small car. Get something your wife will enjoy and by the time the GenIII cars are out it'll be time to get her a new car anyways. GenIII should be quite a bit smaller than Model S based on its BMW 3 Series target.

Likely you can get the high performance model with all the bells and whistles in the $60-$70k range. Also, by then the whole SuperCharger situation will be more clarified and the cars themselves will likely be more refined.

I love being an early adopter, but in this case, patience may be beneficial. Future Tesla models may fit our needs better, and better quality vehicles should come with more experience in their manufacturing processes.

Hi Dr Chill,

I'm glad you got to test drive Model S.

My hope is that everyone who gets a Model S loves driving it and can't wait to get behind the wheel everyday. I'm headed to Europe for the next two weeks. My Pearl White, Performance Model S will be waiting for me when I get back... and I can't wait! That's how I want everyone with a reservation to feel...everyday.

It sounds to me like Model S doesn't fit your needs right now and the last thing I want you to do is piss off your wife :)

Please feel free to send me a private message with your contact info and the name on your reservation and I'll get your refund processed for you right away.

Have a great week!

GeorgeB

Hi Dr Chill,

I'm glad you got to test drive Model S.

My hope is that everyone who gets a Model S loves driving it and can't wait to get behind the wheel everyday. I'm headed to Europe for the next two weeks. My Pearl White, Performance Model S will be waiting for me when I get back... and I can't wait! That's how I want everyone with a reservation to feel...everyday.

It sounds to me like Model S doesn't fit your needs right now and the last thing I want you to do is piss off your wife :)

Please feel free to send me a private message with your contact info and the name on your reservation and I'll get your refund processed for you right away.

Have a great week!

GeorgeB

Thats some 24/7 customer service right there :)

The Lexus GS F Sport dimensions are
Curb Weight AT 3970 lbs
Ground Clearance 5.7
Height 57.9
Length 190.7
Wheelbase 112.2
Width 72.4

options_top-fixed-transparent.png

It looks like the Model S is 600 lbs heavier and only 6 inches longer. The ground clearance on the Model S seems to be bigger than the Lexus (only 0.3" though). While the 600lbs in significant, I would think the center of gravity on the Model S would be lower than almost any other sedan due to the battery pack. Did you not think the Model S handled well? I only got to go fast for a few seconds on an on-ramp but thought it handled better than my Roadster actually. But as GeorgeB said, if the primary driver isn't happy with the car then it's probably not the car for you at this time.

That implies that the current quality is poor, which I would dispute.

I would dispute your dispute. He thinks future cars will be better than the current cars and I would hope he's right or Tesla will be screwed. (I'd be a little disappointed myself if P171EU will not be slightly better quality than P171US, you'd figure the learning curve would apply here as well)

I second that. Tesla is a smart company, be assured that lots of improvements for Model S are already on the drawing table. But the car is 97% complete, and a 100% version is about to enter production. I have no doubt that they will feed improvements into the running production for the months to come, but they will no longer delay production for minor alterations to make.

The OP surely does the right thing to bail out if the Model S is to big and feels to heavy to be their daily driver. While the 40kWh Model might be some 200lbs lighter, it will have the same size so no improvement there. The Gen III sedan should be a better match. Good luck with that and Godspeed to Tesla.

I'm curious: what cars are people coming from in situations where they feel the Model S is so big? Or do people just feel the car is large in general?

The Model S is about 6 inches longer in all dimensions compared to my Accord. Measured out in my garage, it does not occupy a lot more space. I was hoping it would be as large or larger, since it will serve somewhat as a family car.