Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my test drive yesterday, probably gonna bail out because...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious: what cars are people coming from in situations where they feel the Model S is so big?

I'm coming from a Prius. The Model S is 20 inches longer and about 8 inches wider. Heck, it won't even fit in my garage so it's car-cover time. (My garage will just hold a Camry with about 6" length to spare).

This is a BIG car (what we called boat cars in Vancouver), but it's the only EV made that can replace an ICE car and I don't want to wait till I'm too old to drive to get the GenIII (and if enough Model S aren't sold, there won't be any Gen III).

I'm curious: what cars are people coming from in situations where they feel the Model S is so big? Or do people just feel the car is large in general?

The Model S is about 6 inches longer in all dimensions compared to my Accord. Measured out in my garage, it does not occupy a lot more space. I was hoping it would be as large or larger, since it will serve somewhat as a family car.

I come from a BMW 3-series coupe, and the S is gigantic in comparison. For European sized garages and especially inner city parking spaces / parking garages it is just to huge for comfort.

You have to remember that here, in contrast to the US, size DOES matter! (But the other way round than what you would think).

I'm curious: what cars are people coming from in situations where they feel the Model S is so big? Or do people just feel the car is large in general?

Both The Model S will be more than 30" longer and more than 7" wider than my current GTI. Lucky for me I have an absolutely huge 2 car garage. Although I may swap my car and my fiancee's car's position. As the length will make going into and out of the door a little tight otherwise. Plus my circuit breaker is on her side of the garage.

But this thing is huge. Comparatively and just in general. I don't think I will have too hard of a time adapting, as I loved driving my mom's Avalon when she had it.

Hi Dr Chill,

I'm glad you got to test drive Model S.

My hope is that everyone who gets a Model S loves driving it and can't wait to get behind the wheel everyday. I'm headed to Europe for the next two weeks. My Pearl White, Performance Model S will be waiting for me when I get back... and I can't wait! That's how I want everyone with a reservation to feel...everyday.

It sounds to me like Model S doesn't fit your needs right now and the last thing I want you to do is piss off your wife :)

Please feel free to send me a private message with your contact info and the name on your reservation and I'll get your refund processed for you right away.

Have a great week!

GeorgeB

George,

Thanks for your response to my post. I am not going to request a refund until my wife has a chance to actually drive this car since only one driver was allowed during this event, and she didn't want to drive it before I had the chance. I do think the car is very nice , handles well, and is an amazing accomplishment from a startup company. My only complaint really is excessive width and weight. I understand the weight is secondary to a large battery with required cooling, but if it were 6 inches narrower, then I bet the weight would be at least 300 lbs lighter.

In response to the other poster regarding my comment about future cars being better, that's an obvious conclusion based on the experience of virtually every car model ever made. The first model year of a car always has some issues that get addressed as rolling changes on the assembly line and by the dealers after delivery, sometimes as recalls and other times as TSB's. By the second and third year of the model, these issues had been identified, addressed, and are no longer issues. The car then usually has a few additional features added that have become available through their other models or from competitors. That is the nature of the automobile business, constantly improving the technology. I meant in no way to say that the Tesla S is not a quality vehicle. Yes, the fit and finish on some of the early cars may not be up to mass release standards, but this is being addressed.

Last edited:
I come from a BMW 3-series coupe, and the S is gigantic in comparison. For European sized garages and especially inner city parking spaces / parking garages it is just to huge for comfort.

You have to remember that here, in contrast to the US, size DOES matter! (But the other way round than what you would think).

I have been to Europe only a few times, but I do recall the size difference in the vehicles as being one of the most striking differences between American and European driving experiences -- especially in the city. We Americans love everything to be big; unfortunately that includes our posteriors...not a great thing to say the least. :frown:

I have the Accord. Wife has the Subaru Outback. Not big differences. Would probably have to move the lawn mower and the grill out of the garage. Our garage is 22 feet by 22 feet approximately. So, there is room to spare.

If we came to the Model S from our Civics, it would be a huge jump!

The Lexus GS F Sport dimensions are
Curb Weight AT 3970 lbs
Ground Clearance 5.7
Height 57.9
Length 190.7
Wheelbase 112.2
Width 72.4

View attachment 8303

It looks like the Model S is 600 lbs heavier and only 6 inches longer. The ground clearance on the Model S seems to be bigger than the Lexus (only 0.3" though). While the 600lbs in significant, I would think the center of gravity on the Model S would be lower than almost any other sedan due to the battery pack. Did you not think the Model S handled well? I only got to go fast for a few seconds on an on-ramp but thought it handled better than my Roadster actually. But as GeorgeB said, if the primary driver isn't happy with the car then it's probably not the car for you at this time.

I absolutely thought it handled well once moving over 20 mph. Under that speed I felt the mass of the vehicle detracting from its maneuverability. Regarding the front clearance, I sure the front fascia was lower to the ground than 6", or maybe the car was lowered by the air suspension since we had just hit about 70 mph along a long sweeping curve. During that curve, the mass and low COG really benefitted the car making it feel planted with very little body roll.

I am not slamming this car. I just wanted people to realize it may not be for everyone, and that it is heavy and large. Looking at the car, its gorgeous lines make it hard to realize exactly how long and wide it is. I didn't truly appreciate this until driving it.

Also, six inches more width in a car and 700 additional pounds is a lot.

I absolutely thought it handled well once moving over 20 mph. Under that speed I felt the mass of the vehicle detracting from its maneuverability.

How so? Perhaps others can test this in upcoming events as well.

Regarding the front clearance, I sure the front fascia was lower to the ground than 6", or maybe the car was lowered by the air suspension since we had just hit about 70 mph along a long sweeping curve. During that curve, the mass and low COG really benefitted the car making it feel planted with very little body roll.

It would be good to clarify the exact ground clearance at different settings of the air suspension (especially at the front).

I didn't think you were slamming the car. It is good to hear what other people think about the car. It's definitely not the car for everyone (no car is) but hopefully if the Model S doesn't work for you the Gen III car down the road will. Good luck.

Dr.

It was great having lunch with you and Nina Saturday, and I for one appreciate your point of view. Since you are a "car guy" with racing experience I greatly value your analysis regarding the mechanics, etc. However, to me the issue is much more straight forward. Since Nina is going to be the primary driver, she loves her current car, and is uncomfortable with the idea of driving a Model S, it is wise to remain status quo or look else where.

If she hasn't completely ruled out the Model S, it might be useful to get her behind the wheel later when she can spend more time with the car. However, if the width of the car is a primary concern perhaps any further test drives would be pointless, since no matter how much weight the car looses going to the smaller battery pack, its definately not going to get any slimmer. :wink:

Regards,

Larry

I have been to Europe only a few times, but I do recall the size difference in the vehicles as being one of the most striking differences between American and European driving experiences -- especially in the city. We Americans love everything to be big; unfortunately that includes our posteriors...not a great thing to say the least. :frown:

Funny, I had the exact same experience to other way round, when I came to America for the first time. I was amazed at how huge everything was - from garages to supermarket parking spaces to multiplex cinemas - right down to many people's posteriors :wink:

Then again, many neighbourhoods I visited didn't even have sidewalks, so everywhere you wanted to go you had to use your car.
Which is quite different to here. Our cars may be small, but at least we have loads of sidewalks and cycle paths to keep our posteriors in shape - even though many Germans now seem to imitate the American way of life :rolleyes:

My hope is that everyone who gets a Model S loves driving it and can't wait to get behind the wheel everyday. I'm headed to Europe for the next two weeks. My Pearl White, Performance Model S will be waiting for me when I get back... and I can't wait! That's how I want everyone with a reservation to feel...everyday.

Hi George,

Have a safe trip. I just wanted to say how well run the Dania Beach Get Amped event was. Graham, Will, Dustin and Colette and her team did a fantastic job! I just hope that the Palo Alto crew didn't melt in the hot Florida sun. :wink:

Larry

I have to agree with Dr. Chill on the "weight" of the vehicle at low speeds. What I didn't realize was that the steering was set to sport mode which added a significant amount of heft to the feel of the car. Once it was adjusted to normal it was quite manuverable in the parking lot and through slow speed turns. If the steering feel is the deal breaker then I would suggest driving the car again with the steering weighted to your liking. If the size of the car is the deal breaker then I agree 100% with your decision.

I too have a lot of experience racing cars and motorcycles and driving dynamics are crutial. I never had an expectation of the Model S feeling "light on its feet" so there was no disapointment there. I will say that I was really surprised at how well it did handle in spite of its weight and dimentions.

BTW - My motorcycles will have to get relocated to other parts of the garage to fit the MS in and actually get out of the car :p Currently, there is a Honda S2000 there that doesn't take up much space at all

I think it's telling that Dr Chill got out of the Panamera because it was too big, and the Model S is even bigger than that. (by 1.3" width and 0.4" length)
I'm coming from a 99 Passat, and the Model S is 8.8" wider and 11.9" longer. Highly motivated to clean out the garage now.
Interestingly, the '12 Passat is only 5.1" narrower and 4.4" shorter than Model S. Cars keep growing. I believe I read that the BMW 1 series is about the size of the 3 series of the 80's.

I have to agree with Dr. Chill on the "weight" of the vehicle at low speeds. What I didn't realize was that the steering was set to sport mode which added a significant amount of heft to the feel of the car. Once it was adjusted to normal it was quite manuverable in the parking lot and through slow speed turns.

Perhaps this means that the software for sport mode can/should be adjusted so that at low speeds it will more like the normal mode is (currently).

I must be much older than you Jerry...to me, Boat cars were Lincoln town cars, Mercury Marquis & Meteors, and such...:biggrin:

I'm coming from a Prius. The Model S is 20 inches longer and about 8 inches wider. Heck, it won't even fit in my garage so it's car-cover time. (My garage will just hold a Camry with about 6" length to spare).

This is a BIG car (what we called boat cars in Vancouver), but it's the only EV made that can replace an ICE car and I don't want to wait till I'm too old to drive to get the GenIII (and if enough Model S aren't sold, there won't be any Gen III).