Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my test drive yesterday, probably gonna bail out because...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 21" wheels have tires that should last twice that.

Porsche Panamera with 20" Pirelli P Zero Rosso Treadwear rating 300-rear tires replaced at 8000 miles, fronts at 10,000 miles. Cost Average $450 per tire plus tax and installation.Inability to rotate the tires due to staggered sizes accounts for the difference, but the Model S weighs over 600 lbs more which should increase tire wear. I highly doubt the 21" tires, which should cost even more, will last more than 10-12,000 miles. None of the low profile Z rated summer tires I have owned on multiple cars over the past 8 years have lasted over 12,000 miles.

The 19" all season tires will last significantly longer. Frequent tire rotation should help tire life.

Last edited:
Porsche Panamera with 20" Pirelli P Zero Rosso Treadwear rating 300-rear tires replaced at 8000 miles, fronts at 10,000 miles. Cost Average $450 per tire plus tax and installation. The Model S weighs over 600 lbs more. I highly doubt the 21" tires which should cost even more will last more than 8-10,000 miles. None of the low profile Z rated summer tires I have owned on multiple cars over the past 8 years have lasted over 12,000 miles.

The 19" all season tires will last significantly longer.
The 21" wheels come with Continental Extreme Contact DW 245/35R21 tires. From the reviews, they should last at least 10k miles, but might not last much beyond that (although some have taken it to 20k+ and beyond).
http://reviews.conti-online.com/7501-en_us/3377486/extremecontact-dw-reviews/reviews.htm
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...ontact+DW&fromTireDetail=true&tirePageLocQty=

Definitely the all seasons will last much longer.

I have to agree with Dr. Chill on the "weight" of the vehicle at low speeds. What I didn't realize was that the steering was set to sport mode which added a significant amount of heft to the feel of the car. Once it was adjusted to normal it was quite manuverable in the parking lot and through slow speed turns. If the steering feel is the deal breaker then I would suggest driving the car again with the steering weighted to your liking. If the size of the car is the deal breaker then I agree 100% with your decision.

I too have a lot of experience racing cars and motorcycles and driving dynamics are crutial. I never had an expectation of the Model S feeling "light on its feet" so there was no disapointment there. I will say that I was really surprised at how well it did handle in spite of its weight and dimentions.

BTW - My motorcycles will have to get relocated to other parts of the garage to fit the MS in and actually get out of the car :p Currently, there is a Honda S2000 there that doesn't take up much space at all

I must say, I never checked the steering settings, but the steering feel is not primarily what I am talking about. From a stop in a slow moving environment like a parking lot, the mass of the car requires significant throttle input to get moving and once up and running it is fine. Trying to make sharp turns into parking spaces from a stop or pulling out from the spaces is where you feel the weight. When I drive the car again, I'm going to really try out the different settings.

I really want my wife to buy in on this car. I want a Tesla Model S. I don't want an unhappy wife though. I'll post another thread after my next more in depth test drive.

The 21" wheels come with Continental Extreme Contact DW 245/35R21 tires. From the reviews, they should last at least 10k miles, but might not last much beyond that (although some have taken it to 20k+ and beyond).
http://reviews.conti-online.com/7501-en_us/3377486/extremecontact-dw-reviews/reviews.htm
http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surv...ontact+DW&fromTireDetail=true&tirePageLocQty=

Definitely the all seasons will last much longer.

I am incorrect. These tires are only $247 at tirerack. They seem to be somewhat of a bargain compared to the 295/35/20 Pirellis on our Panamera.

Porsche Panamera with 20" Pirelli P Zero Rosso Treadwear rating 300-rear tires replaced at 8000 miles, fronts at 10,000 miles. Cost Average $450 per tire plus tax and installation.Inability to rotate the tires due to staggered sizes accounts for the difference, but the Model S weighs over 600 lbs more which should increase tire wear. I highly doubt the 21" tires, which should cost even more, will last more than 10-12,000 miles. None of the low profile Z rated summer tires I have owned on multiple cars over the past 8 years have lasted over 12,000 miles.

The 19" all season tires will last significantly longer. Frequent tire rotation should help tire life.
I'm showing 220 rating for those tires on 20". The Contis are rated for 340. So extrapolating 8000 miles on 220 rating to a 340 rating... 12000 miles should be about average.

Oh, and I also agree the size of this car matters quite a bit. Also a 'clean the garage' thing for me. :redface:

I must be much older than you Jerry...to me, Boat cars were Lincoln town cars, Mercury Marquis & Meteors, and such...:biggrin:

Those are certainly boat cars as well, but had you lived in Vancouver, you'd have a wider definition. Unlike the rest of North America, you seldom see a car that's bigger than a mid-sized car in Vancouver. (At least that was true when I lived there, things could have changed.)

From a stop in a slow moving environment like a parking lot, the mass of the car requires significant throttle input to get moving and once up and running it is fine.

I believe this is just how electric drive works. With the Prius in reverse you get the same feeling and the Prius weighs significantly less than the Model S. (Reverse because reverse in the Prius is all electric). It's something to get used to but not, in my opinion, a deficiency. My test drive in the Leaf was too short to notice this (and I wasn't looking for it at the time).

the contisport contact 3s on my 987 boxster lasted 22K miles until I corded them, and this included a few track days. I must not be driving hard enough :)

I'm showing 220 rating for those tires on 20". The Contis are rated for 340. So extrapolating 8000 miles on 220 rating to a 340 rating... 12000 miles should be about average.

Oh, and I also agree the size of this car matters quite a bit. Also a 'clean the garage' thing for me. :redface:

wear rating indexes don't carry over from manufacturer to manufacturer, they are indexed at 100 for a specific manufacture. so you can only compare tires from the same company.

wear rating indexes don't carry over from manufacturer to manufacturer, they are indexed at 100 for a specific manufacture. so you can only compare tires from the same company.

Not true. Just like the EPA mpg numbers a set procedure must be used to determine the number and the there are random checks done. However, a tire manufacturer can use a lower number than they found doing the test. For the first few years of the UTQG system Michelin rated all it's tires (other then the lowest wearing ones) at one number. They don't do that anymore marketing being what it is.

It is a rather large car.

I guess size is a relative thing... my Toyota Avalon is a mid-size car, but measures nearly identical to the Model S (just 3" slimmer, and 2" taller, same length). It's turning radius was/is great, as we had to pull into a drive way, and back up and turn around during our test drive due to traffic issues and road construction. It handled extremely well at low speeds and in tight spaces... and we had nearly a half hour driving the car. I was pleased.

But like it's been said here already... everyone has their tastes and certain expectations that must be met in their cars.

I'm hoping that I'll have another chance or two to drive the car, before my production time comes due. Hopefully to drive it a night, for one.