Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had my Y for three months, five weeks in service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My buddy is a LL attorney here in CA and he said that you should opt out of any arbitration as Tesla really wants you to do that. He sees many Tesla through his firm. I still believe in the product and just want one without issues! =). I am still waiting for mine, but is there a section on the purchase agreement where we can opt out? He did mentioned that we may need to send a letter to Tesla after the fact.
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely see a lawyer if this service job can't fix it.

Thanks, guess I need to take legal action if necessary.
It’s not really a big legal action. If your car is a lemon (which it certainly meets the criteria for) then the lawyers are paid for by Tesla. You won’t be out of pocket a dime.
Just Google “BC Canada lemon law”. And click/call the first law firm that comes up.
It’s a really simple process and you’ll get one of 2 options: Have Tesla replace your car or refund you your money.

Just do it. You car is a lemon.

Reactions: Daekwan and Stan930
It’s not really a big legal action. If your car is a lemon (which it certainly meets the criteria for) then the lawyers are paid for by Tesla. You won’t be out of pocket a dime.
Just Google “BC Canada lemon law”. And click/call the first law firm that comes up.
It’s a really simple process and you’ll get one of 2 options: Have Tesla replace your car or refund you your money.

I think the problem with this is that Tesla adds the arbitration clause to all the contracts, esp in the US, to avoid lemon law attys and court. You have to sign it and then manually opt out within 30 days of the purchase agreement date. My buddy just sent me a copy of this

Attachments

• tesla.jpeg
    tesla.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 182
I think the problem with this is that Tesla adds the arbitration clause to all the contracts, esp in the US, to avoid lemon law attys and court. You have to sign it and then manually opt out within 30 days of the purchase agreement date. My buddy just sent me a copy of this
Interesting, I don’t remember signing a document like this when I bought mine.
About 75% of the way down. There is a small claims clause. A good lemon law lawyer worth his/her salt would exploit this and might have a shot at recovery beyond the traditional maximum.

Contracts are great, but if the car is POS and the manufacturer hasn’t fixed it after 4 strikes then whatever agreement is signed could be overruled. Again, a good lawyer vs bad lawyer.

I’ve seen rulings that you wouldn’t believe - I just went through a similar thing with Honda of America and won.

Reactions: hcdavis3

Except that, as I've already posted, there are no Lemon Laws in Canada at the Federal or Provincial level. Once again: Recourse for vehicle defects - Office of Consumer Affairs

Reactions: WhiteWi
Had my Y since end of March, unfortunately it had same fault about restrain system error, has been serviced four times, at this point it still sitting in service centre waiting for parts, ETA is end of the week, was told parts might be on B/O.
First time mobile service, fixed and only good for one day;
2nd time in service centre for two weeks, changed knee airbag, took it back and error message pop up after two weeks;
3rd time was in for three days, change the control module, good for one month;
4th time they try to eliminate the problem, going to change the wiring harness, and maybe knee airbag (again), three weeks and counting. Not sure if they can actually fix it, already lost my confidence and patience.

I asked Tesla to replace my Y, and was refused firmly. The problem is their service team can't address the problem but trying to replace all the parts related. What if I need 5th service for this issue? Do I have rights to use lemon law to get replacement? Thanks for your advice.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. It could be much much worse believe me. I regret buying my Model Y. One service center f'ed up my car. Bought the car on the 30th of March, took it in on the 26th of April to address delivery issues and received it back on the 1st of May with scratches, a door ding, dirty and damaged headliner and a damaged hood. It went back to the service center on the 4th of May and the service center refused to fix the hood blaming it on the power frunk opener that was fitted to the car.

Car was returned to a different service center with the damaged hood, more scratched paintwork and a scratched wheel cover on the 20th of May. Car went back for repairs on the 9th of June with the second service center actually trying to get the issues fixed. Hood was replaced and came back with a poor paint job, scratches on both fenders from a pi$$ poor polishing/buffing job and another door ding, on June the 25th. It was still waiting for parts and was scheduled to go back on July 12th to have the hood repainted and outstanding issues addressed.

Received a call from the body shop last week telling me that one of the doors need to be repainted and the other blended as the scratches were into the foundation and couldn't be buffed out. Got a call to go the service center on Thursday as the car was back from the body shop to inspect parts (headliner) to see if it was acceptable before it was installed. Found out that the hood was not repainted. The headliner wasn't acceptable so another is being ordered. It's now going to a different body shop to try and fix the crappy paint job. So for now I am the not so proud owner of a Tesla Model Y that has been f'ed really badly by sheer incompetence.

I've been more than patient with Tesla and I can no longer recommend them to anyone. A work colleague has decided that he won't be buying a Tesla after seeing my experience. By the way, the body shop that replaced the hood confirmed that the damage caused to the hood could never be caused by the power frunk opener.

His location is on his profile.
Like your "location" it could be improved by listing the country and province/state. Take yours for example TN - everybody in USA knows where that is. How about Austrailia, UK, India or other parts of the world? Some people list which country they live in too. It's just a suggestion. Don't fret about it. List your location any way you want.

Like your "location" it could be improved by listing the country and province/state. Take yours for example TN - everybody in USA knows where that is. How about Austrailia, UK, India or other parts of the world? Some people list which country they live in too. It's just a suggestion. Don't fret about it. List your location any way you want.
Try clicking my location, or the OPs, or even your own. I think you will find it very enlightening about how to tell where someone is.

Reactions: Jim R
Hi, I'm curious what the results were with this case? I'm in a similar situation with a new car but only on it's second visit to the service center where they are replacing the drive unit inverter after finding coolant leaks. Vehicle is about 2 weeks old (1.5 of those weeks in service). It seems like no matter what I do it will be a lose - lose situation. I traded my car in so even if they do a buyback I won't get my old vehicle back. From reading other posts seems doubtful they will replace the vehicle with another new one.

Car was returned to a different service center with the damaged hood, more scratched paintwork and a scratched wheel cover on the 20th of May. Car went back for repairs on the 9th of June with the second service center actually trying to get the issues fixed. Hood was replaced and came back with a poor paint job, scratches on both fenders from a pi$$ poor polishing/buffing job and another door ding, on June the 25th. It was still waiting for parts and was scheduled to go back on July 12th to have the hood repainted and outstanding issues addressed.

How did you get the other service center to take a look at it? The repaint on a panel on my car was pretty bad when I picked it up (newly painted panel had swirls, holograms, scratches all over) and the color doesn't match. Wondering if I can go to another service center and have them fix..

How did you get the other service center to take a look at it? The repaint on a panel on my car was pretty bad when I picked it up (newly painted panel had swirls, holograms, scratches all over) and the color doesn't match. Wondering if I can go to another service center and have them fix..
I had the car delivered to the other service center and when I when to pick it up, it was in worse state than before so I had the service center manager come out and look at it. Even she agreed that the car should not have been returned like that. I had some work colleagues with me and they started taking pictures and pointing out all the issues on the car. I told her that the car would not be going back to the service center that screwed it up. Take it to another service center and insist on speaking with the service manager, is the best advice I can give you.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm curious what the results were with this case? I'm in a similar situation with a new car but only on it's second visit to the service center where they are replacing the drive unit inverter after finding coolant leaks. Vehicle is about 2 weeks old (1.5 of those weeks in service). It seems like no matter what I do it will be a lose - lose situation. I traded my car in so even if they do a buyback I won't get my old vehicle back. From reading other posts seems doubtful they will replace the vehicle with another new one.
As the OP is in Canada and you are in California his results may not be applicable to yours. In your case, lemon laws are a thing. Though I don't think they would apply yet in your situation after only two visits. Having a problem with a new car isn't uncommon, as much as we would prefer a brand new car be issue free. Components could have a flaw that wasn't seen and that didn't cause a failure until under the stress of driving, etc etc. What was your first issue that required service? Was it also related to coolant leaks or the drive inverter?

I had the car delivered to the other service center and when I when to pick it up, it was in worse state than before so I had the service center manager come out and look at it. Even she agreed that the car should not have been returned like that. I had some work colleagues with me and they started taking pictures and pointing out all the issues on the car. I told her that the car would not be going back to the service center that screwed it up. Take it to another service center and insist on speaking with the service manager, is the best advice I can give you.
You mind telling which service center in socal?

As the OP is in Canada and you are in California his results may not be applicable to yours. In your case, lemon laws are a thing. Though I don't think they would apply yet in your situation after only two visits. Having a problem with a new car isn't uncommon, as much as we would prefer a brand new car be issue free. Components could have a flaw that wasn't seen and that didn't cause a failure until under the stress of driving, etc etc. What was your first issue that required service? Was it also related to coolant leaks or the drive inverter?
it was related to coolant leaks but they did not find anything wrong with it after several tests the car was returned to me in 2 days. that was helpful thank you.

it was related to coolant leaks but they did not find anything wrong with it after several tests the car was returned to me in 2 days. that was helpful thank you.
You are welcome. If you truly are concerned that the car may have issues that are just unrepairable definitely research California lemon laws. There are also usually attorney's that specialize in lemon law cases that can be found. Hopefully you don't need to go that far but don't be afraid to exercise your rights under the law. Just try not to be rude to the service people. Polite but firm and professional is usually the best bet.

Reactions: hcdavis3