Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had some paint transfer on left side of bumper and, but

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings from HiltonHead SC.
I created a self-inflicted wound when I cut the left side, just in front of the Driver’s wheel and transferred some of the garage door’s white frame paint to my left side front lower bumper. As I said, directly in front of the driver’s side tire.

Now using Meguiars Liquid Compound and a small rotary attacment for a buffing pad, I have successfully removed even a hint of white paint from the bumper, however (here comes the but), I can still see what almost look like water lines where the paint used to be. I was out there again today, first trying by hand, the trying with a smaller disk to apply some more liquid compound, and of course I can still see them. They are not scratches as I can drag my fingernails across them and they are smooth. It’s worth mentioning that my car is a 2021 MY DM with less than 4K miles since I bought it in May. Also, I noticed at one point after washing and drying my car that I had what had to be water stains coming down from the mirrors. A little quik detailer and it was gone in a minute.

I’ve studied every YouTube video out thereand today even tried a few drops of WD-40. But no luck. Also it does not feel like the metal underneath is bowed in any way. Yes the lines are horizontal. I can try to take a pic but it’s almost impossible to see in a photo - it appears to be shadow.

Other than “You’re the only person that will even know it’s there.” are there any other suggestions. I’m worried about repeating the process and taking off all the paint! Thanks!

Greetings from HiltonHead SC.
I created a self-inflicted wound when I cut the left side, just in front of the Driver’s wheel and transferred some of the garage door’s white frame paint to my left side front lower bumper. As I said, directly in front of the driver’s side tire.

Now using Meguiars Liquid Compound and a small rotary attacment for a buffing pad, I have successfully removed even a hint of white paint from the bumper, however (here comes the but), I can still see what almost look like water lines where the paint used to be. I was out there again today, first trying by hand, the trying with a smaller disk to apply some more liquid compound, and of course I can still see them. They are not scratches as I can drag my fingernails across them and they are smooth. It’s worth mentioning that my car is a 2021 MY DM with less than 4K miles since I bought it in May. Also, I noticed at one point after washing and drying my car that I had what had to be water stains coming down from the mirrors. A little quik detailer and it was gone in a minute.

I’ve studied every YouTube video out thereand today even tried a few drops of WD-40. But no luck. Also it does not feel like the metal underneath is bowed in any way. Yes the lines are horizontal. I can try to take a pic but it’s almost impossible to see in a photo - it appears to be shadow.

Other than “You’re the only person that will even know it’s there.” are there any other suggestions. I’m worried about repeating the process and taking off all the paint! Thanks!
I'm not sure how aggressive the Meguiars compound is, but you may have gone through the clear coat in that spot. What has worked well for me is a little Plexus glass cleaner on the affected area, or perhaps some waterless polish/wax like you see in motorcycle stores. Honda's stuff was amazing for bike detailing back in the day.

I would probably start with ScratchX and microfibre towel by hand. In the past when I had side mirror contact with garage door frame, ScratchX by hand was sufficient to completely remove any paint transfer on the mirror body.

It's probably a bit too late to recommend you start with ScratchX, but you can still try to see if ScratchX can help you in your current situation. If you try to buff with ScratchX by hand, you don't have a lot of risks to make things worse.