Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had to drive my wife's ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to drive my wife's Audi a couple of days ago, its been quite a while since I've driven an ICE. The second biggest difference I noticed was how much I rely on regenerative braking as a means of vehicle control. I realized the biggest difference between the Tesla and the ICE some time after I had returned home when I had to go back into my garage and noticed that the Audi was still running ! Those damned things need to be turned off !
Curious if this has happened to anyone else ?

ICE vehicles having to be turned on, turned off and actually 'drive" are some of the most fundamental differences that certainly happens when you switch back and forth.

It also exists between Tesla's. Whenever my wife drives my Model S, coming from her X, she complains that she has to physically open and close the door :D First world problems, I know. LOL

I had to drive my wife's Audi a couple of days ago, its been quite a while since I've driven an ICE. The second biggest difference I noticed was how much I rely on regenerative braking as a means of vehicle control. I realized the biggest difference between the Tesla and the ICE some time after I had returned home when I had to go back into my garage and noticed that the Audi was still running ! Those damned things need to be turned off !

I thought people forgetting turn off ICE cars after driving EVs is the most ridiculous thing.

I'm obviously so reasonable and smart I'd never do that.

A year ago I had to rent an ICE car and I left that thing running in a parking lot with all the doors unlocked for hours. I return to the car and thought that's weird, looks like the car is not locked. And I get in. How strange. looks like there is an engine running. What's going on?!

Ohhh!!!

I hate driving ICE cars. Now the worst feature of work travel for me - the lousy contract cars we get! And, yes, I confess, I have exited the ICE car without turning it off. Luckily it was noisy enough I noticed as soon as I was out of the vehicle. We are hoping to be ICE free sometime soon... Plan is to get a Model Y if the third room is tolerable

I thought people forgetting turn off ICE cars after driving EVs is the most ridiculous thing.

I'm obviously so reasonable and smart I'd never do that.

A year ago I had to rent an ICE car and I left that thing running in a parking lot with all the doors unlocked for hours. I return to the car and thought that's weird, looks like the car is not locked. And I get in. How strange. looks like there is an engine running. What's going on?!

Ohhh!!!

Same. I rented aa drove to my destination. Hours later, walking to the lot, I was fumbling around trying to find the key and it hit me... I left the car running. I even had my bags in there, but thankfully nobody messed with it.

I also rented an ICE car and kept forgetting to turn it off when I got out.
It looks like a common thing when Tesla owners have to rent an ICE car.
Especially when they give you rental cars that have the "key" that just has to be in the car, or your pocket, and only has a start button.

Car rental companies need to start providing Tesla's for rental vehicles.

I also rented an ICE car and kept forgetting to turn it off when I got out.
It looks like a common thing when Tesla owners have to rent an ICE car.
Especially when they give you rental cars that have the "key" that just has to be in the car, or your pocket, and only has a start button.

Car rental companies need to start providing Tesla's for rental vehicles.
When our service center is out of loaners. Enterprise rents us model s.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I rented a truck the other day (to haul a 75" TV from Best Buy, since they suspended delivery). Same problem. Left the engine running. U-Haul and Home Depot ought to put stickers on the steering wheel: ELECTRIC CAR OWNERS, PLEASE REMEMBER TO TURN OFF THE ENGINE WHEN PARKING.
Would have thought a 75" would fit in an S with the seats down.

Wife and kids remind me to shut off ICE when I drive one, I have begun to exit.
The lack of Regen I adapt to quickly since I live near Green Bay and the weather keeps the Regen shut down or limited a good chunk of the year.

It’s amazing...I’ve had a Tesla for 2 years now and almost completely forgot how to drive an “automatic.” Besides forgetting to turn it off, which I seem to struggle with every time I drive a petrol vehicle, I just feel so unsafe in any other car.

1) EAP on the freeway - I’m still alert, but my car will brake sometimes before I can sense the car in front of me is slowing.
2) Dashcam - I’ve been in two accidents where drivers hit me and said it was my fault. Luckily I won both times with insurance, but the peace of mind knowing all sides of my car are being recorded REALLY HELPS.
3) General Safety of the Tesla - Less likely to roll, huge crumple zone in the front...just an all around safe vehicle (well, besides the fact that TSLAQ thinks I’m going to spontaneously combust while driving).

Not to mention the immediate acceleration can get me out of a bind that some gas cars just couldn’t avoid...

It’s amazing...I’ve had a Tesla for 2 years now and almost completely forgot how to drive an “automatic.” Besides forgetting to turn it off, which I seem to struggle with every time I drive a petrol vehicle, I just feel so unsafe in any other car.

1) EAP on the freeway - I’m still alert, but my car will brake sometimes before I can sense the car in front of me is slowing.
2) Dashcam - I’ve been in two accidents where drivers hit me and said it was my fault. Luckily I won both times with insurance, but the peace of mind knowing all sides of my car are being recorded REALLY HELPS.
3) General Safety of the Tesla - Less likely to roll, huge crumple zone in the front...just an all around safe vehicle (well, besides the fact that TSLAQ thinks I’m going to spontaneously combust while driving).

Not to mention the immediate acceleration can get me out of a bind that some gas cars just couldn’t avoid...
How can that be possible? The mechanics of putting the Tesla in drive/reverse is exactly the same as any other automatic ice car. In fact the stalks are from Mercedes benz, exactly the same.

Would have thought a 75" would fit in an S with the seats down.

Wife and kids remind me to shut off ICE when I drive one, I have begun to exit.
The lack of Regen I adapt to quickly since I live near Green Bay and the weather keeps the Regen shut down or limited a good chunk of the year.
Perhaps, if it weren't in the box, which of course adds a few inches of width. Eyeballing it, I thought this ain't gonna work, so I opted for the truck. Which I forgot to turn off. LOL

How can that be possible? The mechanics of putting the Tesla in drive/reverse is exactly the same as any other automatic ice car. In fact the stalks are from Mercedes benz, exactly the same.

It was sarcasm. But forgetting basic functions like forgetting to turn the car off, sometimes turning the car off while in drive, and the surprise at the first stop sign when regen doesn’t kick in...maybe it wasn’t?

I’ve managed to avoid driving ICEVs since I got my S.

A few weeks ago I used my husband's Model 3 Performance to drive my cat to the vet. I turned on Chill mode to minimize the chance of kitty getting sick. Last week, I drove his car again, with no passengers, and wondered why the go pedal was so unresponsive. I thought there was something wrong with the car. Then I remembered the Chill mode setting. It was so nice to be able to disable that aspect of ICEVs with a tap of the screen.