Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had to reject delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to pick up my M3 last evening. The car looked amazing but when I went closer I saw scratches on the front and rear glass windshields, scratches and scuffing on the rear right indicators and lots of tiny scratches on the paint (both over and under the clearcoat). There were also some tiny paint imperfections (looked like spots under the clearcoat). I was still willing to take delivery if they promised to fix this later, but in their words they said "we will see what we can do afterwards with detailing". Since I did not feel that these issues could be fixed with detailing I decided to reject delivery. As an added insult, the manager of the store would not even come out even when it was not busy and was outside store hours.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Good decision, they are capable of delivering a clean car as many here have gotten, but my advice is if you get one with paint defects , reject it, and wait for a clean one, i got mine April 11, and have been in a loaner for 6 weeks while some issue were fixed and the whole car getting repainted. And the body shop also agreed that this car was already reworked before it got to them.

Reports such as this are troubling. I have no expectation of a perfect car (there is no such thing), but manufacturers have been applying paint to all manner of vehicles for a very long time. Even if they started with a paint crew just out of trade school .... surely they would have gained some experience by now.

BTW .... a repainted car is not acceptable. And to think they want us to pay big bucks for any color other than black.
Very disappointing.

Oh .... I recently saw a trailer load of 3's on a car carrier and they did have protective material on leading edges.

Reactions: C141medic
Holding Tesla accountable for quality is one of the first imperatives of Tesla ownership.

A re-paint? Lol. Um, no. And I don’t see the benefit in sending the car back to their detailer when it was missed details in the first place that caused the problem. These things should be disclosed up front and not left to see if the owner misses the errors.

Both times Tesla failed concerning paint in my case, the cars went straight to my detailer and the bills were paid directly by Tesla to the detailer. And the time Tesla washed the car with a dirty chamois and circular motions? Yeah, that cost another chunk to put right.

The Model 3s are still $50K-$60K cars. Don’t let the weakest link in the chain slide.

Glad the OP took action after the manager and staff evidently failed to commit sufficiently.

If it’s going to be awhile before they produce another 3, then maybe a lease return CPO Model S AP1 car for $45K-$50K might suffice for the next 3 years....

I will say that quality did improve from my 2014 S to my 2017 S, and no doubt the delivery quality for the 3 will improve by 2021 as well. Then we get to experience quality issues all over again with the Model Y although hopefully not as many by virtue of experience.

Good times.

Agreed I do regret accepting it, and got it earlyband didn’t even think about that option, should have had them put me back in the que for May delivery as my buddy white model 3 after the the production stop was pretty good paint wise. Mine was probably affected by the fires in the paint department