TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Had to reject delivery

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by t3slajunk, Jun 3, 2018.

1. t3slajunk

t3slajunk Member

Went to pick up my M3 last evening. The car looked amazing but when I went closer I saw scratches on the front and rear glass windshields, scratches and scuffing on the rear right indicators and lots of tiny scratches on the paint (both over and under the clearcoat). There were also some tiny paint imperfections (looked like spots under the clearcoat). I was still willing to take delivery if they promised to fix this later, but in their words they said "we will see what we can do afterwards with detailing". Since I did not feel that these issues could be fixed with detailing I decided to reject delivery. As an added insult, the manager of the store would not even come out even when it was not busy and was outside store hours.

• Informative x 1
  2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Sorry to hear that as we were very pleased with the fit and finish of our 3.

• Informative x 1
  3. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Would be interesting to track that Vin

4. t3slajunk

t3slajunk Member

Congratulations!! Glad things worked out for you. Looking forward to mine getting fixed up as well.

VIN is 221XX

5. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

What color was it?

6. t3slajunk

t3slajunk Member

Red, Aero

7. FoghornLeghorn

So what happens when you reject the car? Are you now back in the queue with all of the other folks who have configured and are waiting for VIN? or is there any preference?

8. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Ok think they send the car up to Canada

• Funny x 11
  9. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

Tough call, I'm sure. Did you take photos of the scratches?

10. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Could you post some of the pictures you took to document the damage. It would be helpful for those of us with deliveries coming up. Thanks.

11. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

Ouch...
    Sorry, but I think it would be better to send it to Mexico before NAFTA expires

• Like x 1
  12. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Serious Bummer. Hope it works out.

13. t3slajunk

t3slajunk Member

Unsure. It only happened yesterday. My VIN seems to stick for now but my delivery date has been taken out with a message saying they will contact me for delivery.

14. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Man, would it hurt to provide some protection when trucking these things across the states? Sorry to hear about the bad delivery.

15. electracity

electracity Active Member

I'm fairly certain they will attempt to repair and re-deliver the original car.

16. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

Good decision, they are capable of delivering a clean car as many here have gotten, but my advice is if you get one with paint defects , reject it, and wait for a clean one, i got mine April 11, and have been in a loaner for 6 weeks while some issue were fixed and the whole car getting repainted. And the body shop also agreed that this car was already reworked before it got to them.

17. Stirfelt

Stirfelt Member

Reports such as this are troubling. I have no expectation of a perfect car (there is no such thing), but manufacturers have been applying paint to all manner of vehicles for a very long time. Even if they started with a paint crew just out of trade school .... surely they would have gained some experience by now.

BTW .... a repainted car is not acceptable. And to think they want us to pay big bucks for any color other than black.
    Very disappointing.

Oh .... I recently saw a trailer load of 3's on a car carrier and they did have protective material on leading edges.

• Like x 1
  18. scott8659

scott8659 Member

Cars are not painted by hand. They have been using robots for some time.

19. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Holding Tesla accountable for quality is one of the first imperatives of Tesla ownership.

A re-paint? Lol. Um, no. And I don’t see the benefit in sending the car back to their detailer when it was missed details in the first place that caused the problem. These things should be disclosed up front and not left to see if the owner misses the errors.

Both times Tesla failed concerning paint in my case, the cars went straight to my detailer and the bills were paid directly by Tesla to the detailer. And the time Tesla washed the car with a dirty chamois and circular motions? Yeah, that cost another chunk to put right.

The Model 3s are still $50K-$60K cars. Don’t let the weakest link in the chain slide.

Glad the OP took action after the manager and staff evidently failed to commit sufficiently.

If it’s going to be awhile before they produce another 3, then maybe a lease return CPO Model S AP1 car for $45K-$50K might suffice for the next 3 years....

I will say that quality did improve from my 2014 S to my 2017 S, and no doubt the delivery quality for the 3 will improve by 2021 as well. Then we get to experience quality issues all over again with the Model Y although hopefully not as many by virtue of experience.

Good times.

• Like x 3
  20. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

Agreed I do regret accepting it, and got it earlyband didn’t even think about that option, should have had them put me back in the que for May delivery as my buddy white model 3 after the the production stop was pretty good paint wise. Mine was probably affected by the fires in the paint department