Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had to replace a tire... missing acoustic foam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Saturday I hit a pothole that resulted in my tire going flat. I checked my options and was told my Dekalb Tire that they had a replacement in stock and could install it on Sunday.

Turns out that was just wrong, so I had to wait until today (Monday). They replaced the tire and when I picked it up, I specifically asked if it was the same tire. I was told that it was the same tire, but now that I'm home I realize that it does not have the acoustic foam.

Anyone know how much of a difference that makes? If I had taken the car to the Tesla service center, which I would have done if Dekalb Tire had not lied to me, would they have replaced with the exact same tire?

Thanks.

Tesla wouldn't spec them with the foam insulation if it didn't make a difference. Having said that I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in noise level with my winter tires which are a completely different brand than the stock Michelins.

The part #s of the tires (foam vs non foam) might be almost identical so perhaps you should talk to the tire shop about the mix up rather than blast them here? It could have been an honest mistake.

Dekalb Tire didn't think they could get the OEM tire and mentioned that Tire Rack was one of their distributors. I called them back and told them that I could get the tire from tirerack.com and they confirmed that it's available from their distributor Tire Rack portal. They are ordering it and will swap out the tire I got for the price difference.

I may have been fine with the version with no foam, but it would have bugged me. I'm glad they are working with me on replacing it with the original.