TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Had you already driven a Tesla before you ordered M3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ElectroFroggy, Apr 26, 2016.

?

Had you already experienced a Tesla vehicle before you put down your deposit?

1. Yes

54.0%
  2. No

46.0%
  1. ElectroFroggy

ElectroFroggy Member

Personally I had never driven a Tesla or had gone for a ride in a Tesla before ordering. How about you?

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Yes. Although that wasn't true for my first Tesla.

3. gocken2

gocken2 Model S: P6931

Same for me :)

4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

No. I only sat in a stationary Model S at the Tesla store a couple of years ago. :)

5. Woosie

Woosie Member

I send be a Leaf for three years but not a Tesla. I have a good idea of how awesome they will be.

Driving a Prius now, and feel cheated from driving a BEV!!

6. heysteveh

heysteveh Member

I had sat in a Model S at a store, but more importantly had read:
    Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future

Reading this gave me the confidence to order the model 3 online before the reveal.

• Love x 1
  7. tommythecat

tommythecat Member

Haven't even sat in one yet. I was planning on scheduling a test drive after the Model 3 pre-orders slowed down but haven't had the time yet. Hopefully soon!

8. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I have not driven a Tesla. But I am driving an EV now so I have an idea of what I am going to be getting.

I would encourage anyone who has never driven an EV to test drive one (of any flavor), as one pedal driving is very different than a normal ICE car, and not everyone likes it.

9. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Not all EVs do the one pedal driving. Some have barely any regen and require using the brakes, like an ICE car.

I went the other way... Ive pretty much driven every production EV produced and available for the California market since the Leaf and Volt were released. Only one I haven't driven is the BMW i8.

So no Renault EVs because they're not available here. No ThinkCityEV since it's pre-Leaf, etc.

10. Taliessin

Taliessin Member

Yes, drove a MS P90D a few weeks before standing in line to reserve the M3. Also, the only car I have owned (or rather leased) for the past year+ is a Leaf.

11. Badbada

Badbada Member

I test drove the P90D, mind blown. That Ludicrous speed is no joke LOL. I also drive a 2013 Nissan Leaf which has a familiar feeling of responsiveness, minus the Ludicrous of course ;)

12. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Test driving the Model S absolutely sealed the deal for me. Ordered my Model 3 the next day. What an amazing car.

Dan

13. garsh

garsh Re Member

I've had three different test drives over the years.
    • An 85 (IIRC) a few years ago out in California, as part of some "test drive electric cars" event with several manufacturers present.
    • An insane-mode P85D about a year ago. I was invited to sign up for a test drive locally. Took my youngest son with me.
    • Another P85D (IIRC) just a couple months ago. Took the whole family that time.
    And I've owned a Leaf for the last 4+ years. So I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting into.

14. Mad Hungarian

Mad Hungarian Member

Yes, full story told on the last such thread/poll here

15. crazybarracuda

driven one for an entire night and wow

16. Mark C

Mark C Member

Drooled over a Model S at the 2015 National Drive Electric event in Huntsville, AL. Heard a ton of praise for everything Tesla has made, and some complaining about problems that later turned into praise over how the problems were resolved.

IMHO, since EVERYONE makes mistakes, it's how they are resolved that is the most important issue to me. Reserved mine on 4/5 after getting it wife apporved. :D

17. LBusDoor90

LBusDoor90 Member

#17 LBusDoor90, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    I'm a planetary science teacher and the father of a former student allowed me to drive his Model S. The moment I got it out onto a local highway and accelerated, all ICE cars instantaneously turned into pieces of poo and I had to have the next Tesla that supposedly a teacher could afford.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. JBare

JBare Member

What He said :)

I figured I would wait in line and order due to my Musk fandom but set up a test drive to sell my wife on it a few weeks prior. AMAZING driving experience, and my wife concurred.

19. plankeye

plankeye That Vegan EV Guy

I sat in an S at the store, but the only EV I've driven is a Leaf (friend has one).

20. ChooseGreen

ChooseGreen Member

I have heard very few disappointed customers. Those who were disappointed were either complaining about things that aren't important to me (the 'frills') or genuine issues. However, those genuine issues have been addressed by a seemingly responsive Tesla service team.

My bike is my primary vehicle so for me, the Model 3 could have been hideous and difficult to drive, but so long as it is safe (good there), fits my family (yep) and has good, reliable range (safe there), it is good for me. No test drive needed :)