Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Had you already driven a Tesla before you ordered M3?

Had you already experienced a Tesla vehicle before you put down your deposit?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not driven a Tesla. But I am driving an EV now so I have an idea of what I am going to be getting.

I would encourage anyone who has never driven an EV to test drive one (of any flavor), as one pedal driving is very different than a normal ICE car, and not everyone likes it.

I have not driven a Tesla. But I am driving an EV now so I have an idea of what I am going to be getting.

I would encourage anyone who has never driven an EV to test drive one (of any flavor), as one pedal driving is very different than a normal ICE car, and not everyone likes it.

Not all EVs do the one pedal driving. Some have barely any regen and require using the brakes, like an ICE car.

I went the other way... Ive pretty much driven every production EV produced and available for the California market since the Leaf and Volt were released. Only one I haven't driven is the BMW i8.

So no Renault EVs because they're not available here. No ThinkCityEV since it's pre-Leaf, etc.

I've had three different test drives over the years.
  • An 85 (IIRC) a few years ago out in California, as part of some "test drive electric cars" event with several manufacturers present.
  • An insane-mode P85D about a year ago. I was invited to sign up for a test drive locally. Took my youngest son with me.
  • Another P85D (IIRC) just a couple months ago. Took the whole family that time.
And I've owned a Leaf for the last 4+ years. So I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting into.

Drooled over a Model S at the 2015 National Drive Electric event in Huntsville, AL. Heard a ton of praise for everything Tesla has made, and some complaining about problems that later turned into praise over how the problems were resolved.

IMHO, since EVERYONE makes mistakes, it's how they are resolved that is the most important issue to me. Reserved mine on 4/5 after getting it wife apporved. :D

I have heard very few disappointed customers. Those who were disappointed were either complaining about things that aren't important to me (the 'frills') or genuine issues. However, those genuine issues have been addressed by a seemingly responsive Tesla service team.

My bike is my primary vehicle so for me, the Model 3 could have been hideous and difficult to drive, but so long as it is safe (good there), fits my family (yep) and has good, reliable range (safe there), it is good for me. No test drive needed :)