Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hagerty’s View

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few false assertions showing that he lacks an understanding of the capabilities of modern machine learning. It feels like he could have saved himself the trouble of writing the blog post by watching the Las Vegas Zoox demo. Autonomous cars will be a luxury starting out, which is the only case where we may "never [..] share the road with a significant number of autonomous vehicles." We will just have to wait and see how long it takes for the price to drop.

Reactions: diplomat33
As a 52 year old that started serious programming at age 12, became an electrical engineer from a top university, did an automotive thesis on something they said would never be a reality, and it is now, and has spent the last 30 years making large sums of money being an advocate of new technology of all sorts, and is a Tesla vehicle and stock owner, I can tell you that self-driving cars are a huge pipe dream as long as you have people walking and manually driving cars on the same roads.

Last edited:
As a 52 year old that started serious programming at age 12, became an electrical engineer from a top university, did an automotive thesis on something they said would never be a reality, and it is now, and has spent the last 30 years making large sums of money being an advocate of new technology of all sorts, and is a Tesla vehicle and stock owner, I can tell you that self-driving cars are a huge pipe dream as long as you have people walking and manually driving cars on the same roads.

I disagree that self-driving cars are a pipe dream. While full autonomous driving is difficult and we certainly don't have L5 yet, the fact is that we already have self-driving cars on public roads now. For example, several companies like Waymo have genuine L4 autonomous driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I disagree that self-driving cars are a pipe dream. While full autonomous driving is difficult and we certainly don't have L5 yet, the fact is that we already have self-driving cars on public roads now. For example, several companies like Waymo have genuine L4 autonomous driving.

Keep on believing. There's always a percentage that will.