Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gearheads Can Still Enjoy the Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three thousand miles ago, my wife and I purchased a Dual Motor Long Range Tesla Model 3. It is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned. Now listen, I’m not some millennial who upgraded from a Prius, but a lifelong, consummate gearhead. My last five daily drivers consisted of two John Cooper Works Minis and every modern iteration of Z06 Corvette. All manual. All modified. My father had a 71 Vega that ran a blown 454 40 over pushing about a thousand horsepower. Legal risk aside I prowled the streets with it, drag slicks screeching, parachute ready.

A car guy at heart, I initially laughed at Tesla. Yet somewhere along the line, I became intrigued by electric cars. I test drove a Model S P100D that does 0-60 mph in 2.4 seconds, and it left me cold. It did everything perfectly—and quickly—but it felt like an appliance. There was no feel, no fun, and I even got a headache from repeated bouts of acceleration. The Model S is the perfect car for people who don’t like cars. I assumed the Model 3 would simply be a cheaper and slower version of that lifeless speed demon.

On a whim, I stopped by a Tesla showroom for a test drive. Six days later, a Model 3 arrived at our home. It is a joy to drive. The steering, while lacking the feedback of a hydraulic rack, is the best electric-assisted steering wheel I’ve ever turned. What it misses in feel it makes up for in quickness, off-center effort, and precision. The wheel itself, small and thick, combined with plentiful forward visibility makes for a go-kart-like sensation. The suspension is comfortable but communicative.

Leeds_207.jpg

Above all, the regenerative braking combined with Tesla’s dual electric motors is magic. Every millimeter of pedal travel provides increasing instantaneous torque while every millimeter off the pedal provides increased braking from the regen. The braking power of the motors is enough that I hardly use the brake pedal in day-to-day driving. Tesla claims the brake pads can last more than 100,000 miles, and I don’t doubt it. Beyond increased range, due to rarely scrubbing speed with the brakes, one-pedal driving lets you instantly set the car up for a turn. Come to the end of a quick straight, pull your foot back an inch to load weight onto the front wheels, turn, and blast off at the apex all with little flex of the ankle. For enthusiastic driving around winding roads, it’s completely novel experience for me that’s hard to beat.

The exacting nature of that single pedal combined with that razor-sharp steering, and mountains of torque, make the Model 3 one of the most fun cars I’ve ever owned. Every new car I’ve driven over the past two decades has been faster, safer, better, more efficient, and less fun to drive than its predecessor. Like many, I yearn for cars of the past, and not necessarily that long ago. A time when it was more about fun than fast, when Ferraris had gated shifters, when cars rewarded drivers setting up a turn properly. The Model 3 is the antidote to increasingly boring cars of boring automotive companies who do their best to make sure we want to jump into a new lease in three years.

Do I miss the sound of a combustion engine? Yes and no. Engine sound (the real kind, not the fake synthesized stuff) is more and more rare in modern cars. The proliferation of turbocharging means even less symphonic exhaust noise. Turbos are a great way to make power—and to kill an exhaust note. There are still some wonderful symphonic engines out there, but they are going the way of the manual transmission. The instant torque and complete silence in the Model 3 provide feels, and sounds, like the future. When you floor it, the motors give a delicious whir while your brain rushes back in your skull. I will always love the scream of a good motor, but daily driving in the Model 3, I don’t miss it.

Leeds_204.jpg

What about the weird interior you ask? That was my main hesitation before buying. The stereo, consisting of a soundbar running along the base of the windshield plus fourteen speakers and a subwoofer, is the best I’ve ever experienced. Load up some lossless music to a USB stick and it’s an aural experience second to none. (Considering there’s no exhaust note, it had better be.) I was initially concerned about the center screen as well but now I love it. When I used to drive the C7 Z06 at night I’d shut off all the lights on the dash and rely only on the head-up display. The single screen in the Model 3 similarly reduces visual clutter, leaving me with the wheel, the pedal, and the road for the purest of driving experiences. When I need any data it’s available with barely a glance to the side. My wife—a luddite who wouldn’t notice if an EMP blast went off in our neighborhood—loves the display and control aspects of the screen. The storage space is massive, and the seats are excellent. In fact, they’re so comfortable that I’m sitting in the car, in my garage, as I write.

Build quality is a hot topic for Model 3 owners and critics. As our car was built during the end-of-the-year push, I had concerns about quality, especially on a black car. Our Model 3 isn’t perfect but I give it a passing grade. The panel gap around the right headlight is slightly different than around the left headlight, a flaw I only noticed while specifically looking for errors. On a day to day basis, I never notice any issues and I’m always looking back at it as I walk away. In short, it’s not as good as our Chevy Tahoe was, but it’s far better than our last Corvette.

Don’t believe me? Check out some Corvette online forums to learn about the paint issues, panel rub issues, and class-action lawsuits. As for the interior quality on the Model 3, I learned a lot while trying to hardwire a radar detector with a remote display. In other cars it’s easy to pull at panels and sneak wires in and around, but not with the Tesla. This interior is so tight that it required a longer cable and a drill to accomplish my goal as there was little to no play in the trim. Admittedly, the Tesla’s interior looks weird in pictures but ours is white [the only added option], well-constructed, and gorgeous.

Leeds_201.jpg

Tesla as a company is more polarizing than a pair of overpriced Ray-Bans, but my experience with them was fantastic. With non-negotiable pricing there’s nothing to be gained by having a friend of a friend who works at the dealer (or worse, not getting that deal). On the matter of our trade-in, Tesla called and offered another $1000 over the Blue Book value, a day after we accepted a lower figure. I nearly thought it was a prank call. A couple weeks after delivery, I took the car in to take the all-season tires off and put on a set of true winter rubber. They did it for free. We chose 18-inch Aero wheels which come with what are essentially efficiency-increasing hub caps. The cost of replacement caps is $120, for a set of four. A new standard key fob is $150 and just $25 for the credit card key. While the average price of Tesla’s cars puts the brand squarely in the luxury category, they’re not taking advantage of you at the parts department. As someone who’s had to visit the Mini parts desk a time or two, this is a refreshing change.

Another thing to love is the that car improves for free. Our last update allowed us to precondition the interior temperature and turn on the heated seats from anywhere. Our garage is attached but unheated. These days, we never enter a car that isn’t toasty warm. The next update will bring an additional 20 or so horsepower and faster charging rates at new Superchargers. Are there any amongst us who haven’t spent a couple hundred bucks to maybe gain ten horsepower? I don’t want for more power, as the Model 3 can rip 0-60 mph times in the low 4 seconds, but I’ll take it. This is in stark contrast to General Motors sending us physical mail every year kindly offering to update our never-used navigation system map for the low price of $160.

Autopilot? Didn’t order it. I like to drive. They did include it free with the car for a month. Driver assistance system like this are an incredible achievement that seems to be getting better by the day (and as I said, with the Tesla you get the software improvements without even visiting a service center). While my four-year-old boy was floored at the Model 3’s semi-autonomy, it’s not for me, and I suspect it’s not for you.

Leeds_205.jpg
The car has other awesome technology. My garage door automatically opens and closes as the car sends signals based on preset GPS coordinates, it waits until 11:30 at night to start charging when our dramatically discounted off-peak electricity rate starts, it projects a virtual forcefield around the car and accurately displays a world full of people, trucks, cars, lanes and lets you know to the inch exactly how far you are from everything. Its voice command abilities put Siri to shame. The navigation is so good I barely use Waze anymore, and I can listen to any music I want with a simple press of a button. Next month it will do more.

The future, whether we like it or not, is electric. Let us reward the ones that are doing it right. If we don’t, we’ll be left with nothing but boring appliance cars to shuttle us around while we daydream about how when we were young, music was good, prices were reasonable, and cars were fun. The Model 3 currently starts at $35,000 before delivery fee, and after state tax, federal tax, fuel, brakes, oil, and other savings. My car cost $48,000. Next to a Model 3 in the garage, insert your favorite manually shifted, naturally aspirated, hydraulic-steering, fire-spitting classic car and that’s as good as it gets in my book.

Enjoying the ride comes in multiple flavors. So enjoy it.

This article, written by TMC Member Gene Leeds, first appeared on the Hagerty blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I commuted I would have purchased it, especially at the $2k that it was yesterday. I work from home and when I take the car out it's to drive the hell out of it. The few times that I've been stuck in traffic, and had the month trial, I used it and it was great.
I find it takes a lot of the tedious out of getting to the place where it is feasible to drive the hell out of it. :) Even the parts during, you've got this cadence of quiet parts where I flip on EAP and then flip it off and work it. It has gotten to the point I really enjoy those quiet parts, too. It has become part of the experience.

But yeah, that'll vary a lot with what your area is like and what other driving you do with it.

Good piece, definitely on the money!

Having access to a dual motor 3 in the family as well as my own dual motor S, I've had the plenty of time in both. I agree that the 3 feels more nimble and is more enjoyable when out for a 'spirited' drive... however, the S is still a load of fun in the turns. Wide, low, heavy, but still able to make you smile. It's a beast compared to the 3, and on a fast drive is more about brute force (and perhaps a little ignorance) than the 3, but I enjoy it anyway. To put it quite inelegantly, if the 3 is CART, the S would be NASCAR.

The Alfa Spider Quadrifoglio I was going to keep forever is now in someone else's garage thousands of miles away. It was a tough decision, letting it go. But I don't miss the smell of petroleum products in the garage... I don't miss the sluggish acceleration and frankly, I'm getting too old to really miss the heavy wheel and challenging handling. The first gen RX7 is still stored, but the choice is now to make it an EV project, or sell it. I won't put any further work into keeping it running in its current gas pig configuration. It's still a blast to drive, but I can't stand the smell anymore!

The gearhead appeal of the 3 (and any Tesla to some extent) is something that doesn't get much comment, so thanks for putting it into words!

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Very good write up Gene! Use to drive a Mercedes and always appreciated the ergonomics of that car, very well thought out, but I have to say my Model 3 Dual Motor is better and far more intelligent. From AutoPilot, to navigation, to easy of use and never having to turn on the wind shield wipers or head lights or high beams because the car is smart enough to do this for you! And then there’s the pure electric motor torque and exhilarating acceleration, I now treasure being at the front of a red light now, and accelerate away from all the slow internal combustion engine cars, and as I watch them disappear in my rear view mirror I often wonder why anyone would buy anything other then a Tesla. Plus the CEO is never boring or conservative and is highly entertaining to boot, something sorely needed in this world.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I especially appreciate the fact that you really captured the difference between the S and the 3 in driving dynamics.
The S is a rocket-ship dreadnought, while the 3 is a true “driver’s car”. When I went for my first test-drive I knew it would be fast, but the level of handling, driver-involvement and refinement blew me away.
I really need to try a 3p (or any 3 for that matter :rolleyes:) so can't really speak for any 3 characteristics ..but p85 vs a D are not even comparable in driving dynamics, weight TC & AWD make them very different. P85 is basically the same as an M3 (BM) in an auto x setting. big track, no.
driving dynamics between a p3 and rwd are probably pretty different too, haven't read too much about that though.

...how many times I've said it feels like a go-cart as well. Well said, gearhead here as well.

We got the RWD LR because I don't like steering and traction mixing, and it especially messes me up in the snow if I want to play there.

I still have my '63 classic in the garage, but I don't seem to want to drive it so much, if at all. Tesla is too much fun. And I certainly don't want to work on grease anymore... The Model 3 is labor free and I really like that. And I NEVER think about getting gas now. In the near future, "range-anxiety" will be reserved for ICE vehicles - think about that...

Anyone need anything at the store?

20180509_091825.jpg

Wish more people realized that THIS Tesla is a true driver's car.
Model S really poisoned the well on that, in a way (the Roadster is kinda forgotten, I think). I know some people really get off on the Model S, and it certainly has unique experience going for it, but there is a lot it does and doesn't do that put a nearly indelible mark on the Tesla brand in car peoples' minds, for better and worse. However I expect time and exposure will eventually change it to a situation like where Cadillac and Corvette come from the same company but expectations of each are very different.

Typical exchange between me and another person at the track or AX:
"Oh, you're the Tesla guy?"
"Yeah."
"So does yours have Ludicrous Mode?"
"No, mine turns corners."

:)

People did, and still do generally before seeing me run, assume my car is going to be a punching bag classed in D Street at SCCA Solo, where raw acceleration like the Model S has doesn't have much leverage. Well they aren't entirely wrong with me driving it, but that's much more a biological input issue. :p

Last edited:
Might as well throw out my stable:
66 Bronco Roadster, inherited from original owner
67 GTO all #'s matching, but being restored and built as Pro Touring
88 Porsche 944 SP3 race car (Turbo, but now fitted with S engine to run lighter weight)
89 Porsche 944 Turbo S
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (6 speed)
2010 BMW 535i M-Sport 6 speed
2014 Audi Q7 TDI (wife's daily)

But yeah, definitely appeals to the enthusiast

Hey all,

I work for Hagerty in their media/editorial department and recently wrote this up in hopes of making people consider a Model 3 who normally wouldn't have the slightest interest.

Gearheads can still enjoy the Tesla Model 3

Enjoy!

Best,
Gene

Thanks Gene. We have two Tesla Model 3 Performance versions. I got one and quickly realized, particularly with the free supercharging running out, that getting a second one was a no-brainer, and in addition was an opportunity to avoid a unEquitable situation in terms of who got stuck with the internal combustion vehicle.

My wife's initial response what's to complain that the car was so expensive that she'd never feel comfortable driving it. She regards cars as appliances to get from point A to point B, and she's generally technophobic if not frankly techno-destructive. After one week in the car however she was singing a different tune, saying she had never enjoyed driving a car so much, and now hates driving her Honda Odyssey Minivan as sluggish and unresponsive. We just sold it a few days ago.

The model 3 Performance is the quickest, best performing, best handling, safest, and most economical sedan we could have bought. It's also the most comfortable, and very surprisingly, the easiest to drive. Long distance driving is significantly less fatiguing with the enhanced autopilot. I've installed aftermarket wheels and tires to get the best possible handling on both cars, and my version of the model 3 has the sports coilover setup from MPP. It makes it easy to dial in whatever level of stiffness versus comfort you want in the suspension. It can be stock comfortable or even slightly softer all the way to track hard.

We cannot imagine ever going back to an internal combustion vehicle, even if global warming was not a serious threat to the survival of millions of species including our own. It's easily the best car either of us has ever driven, and that includes Porsches, Ferraris, Corvettes, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Etc.

Thanks dfwatt! I completely agree on not going back to ICE. Even if we somehow ignore the world burning bit and the cheapness to fuel, I'd still never go back to ICE. I've had the last four generations of Corvette. They're unveiling the new one tonight and I need to stay up and cover it for work. This will be the first time I'm less than interested personally because unless that thing is all electric AND somehow beats Tesla in all the other ways [which will never happen] I'm definitely not getting one. lol

I do look forward to a time when it's relatively easy to convert a gas vehicle to electric. I'd love to pick up an old VW bus for cruising around town and run it off the solar panels on my home. We'll get there.

The only gas car I'm not kicking out of the garage is the McLaren F1. All hail the McLaren F1. lol

Great observation of the Model 3 magic!
After purchasing a 2017 Model X, I became so enamored with the Tesla driving experience that I ditched my 2012 Beetle (turbo with DSG. etc.) and purchased a 2018 Model 3.
I love the forward view from the driver's seat, looking down between the fenders. It reminds me of the view from a Porsche 911. I have fantasied a Vanity Plate: "911 4DR". Similar driver view, but the car is quieter and faster.

Reactions: Kleenerth3