Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hail and Flooding experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This afternoon in Denver, we had one wicked hail storm. As I looked out into the parking lot at my office, the first thing I could think about is that Prius-sized windshield on my Model X . The second thing I thought about was my car is made out of ALUMINUM! The third thing I thought about was the flash-flooding that I later attemtpted to drive through on my way home--would it be better that I didn't have a tailpipe that could submerge and revert carbon monoxide fumes into the car or worse that I didn't know if my electric motors would fry because they were at the bottom of the car?

It all turned out okay (i think), but it sure was frightening. I was able to navigate my way home using high roads, avoiding creek beds, streams, etc.

My question to the community here is: have you experienced any or all of these issues? What did you learn?

The electrical connection to the motors are sealed, so they won't short out on you. However, both the original Model S battery pack and the original Model S motors have holes on the top to equalize pressure, so they can be damaged in a flooding situation - read the early pages here:

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

I don't know for certain if the X has the same vulnerabilities, but it'd be safer to assume that it does and not cross water deeper than the cabin sills if you can avoid it.

• Informative
Reactions: swesson