Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hakka r5 ev vs Michelin x-ice snow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kaltire has the r5 ev, but 255 on the front only, no 265.

Costco has the x-ice snow in the proper size.

I heard that nokoian are generally better and the r5 seems to have a lot of improvements over the r3, esp in terms of rolling resistance, noise and sidewall.

If they had the OEM fit, I'd be going for them 100%, but given the smaller size and 400$ more, what would you guys pick on a model x on 20s?

I live in Vancouver so winter is a mix of snow and rain.

Kaltire has the r5 ev, but 255 on the front only, no 265.

Costco has the x-ice snow in the proper size.

I heard that nokoian are generally better and the r5 seems to have a lot of improvements over the r3, esp in terms of rolling resistance, noise and sidewall.

If they had the OEM fit, I'd be going for them 100%, but given the smaller size and 400$ more, what would you guys pick on a model x on 20s?

I live in Vancouver so winter is a mix of snow and rain.
I’ve been trying to decide between the exact same two kinds of tires. Which one did you end up going with? I’m leaning slightly more towards the Michelin because it had better hydroplaning resistance than the R5’s and given how much it rains in Vancouver I feel like that’s more useful than the slightly better snow/ice performance on the R5

Reactions: bastrd_steve
I’ve been trying to decide between the exact same two kinds of tires. Which one did you end up going with? I’m leaning slightly more towards the Michelin because it had better hydroplaning resistance than the R5’s and given how much it rains in Vancouver I feel like that’s more useful than the slightly better snow/ice performance on the R5
I’m here with the exact same dilemma. I booked an appointment at kaltire for Wednesday and chose the Michelin x-ice over the Nokian r5 strictly by brand and tire tread pattern. It looks like it’ll handle our wet Vancouver climate better. Snow and ice performance is actually secondary in my opinion for us. We’re 90% cold and wet vs really cold and snow/icy…

Reactions: booruce
Also looking at these two tires for my MYLR (yes I realize this is a MX thread)
Does anyone know the difference between Nokia R5 and R5 EV? The EV one isn't in stock for the 19" MY size and it is more expensive.
I've always ran Nokian on my previous cars but I was living in places like Edmonton and Whitehorse for most of that time so max snow/ice was important. Now in Victoria I would probably lean towards better hydroplaning resistance over ultimate snow/ice. So maybe I should be looking at X-Ice instead?
Also considering CrossClimate2 which I just had on my CX-5 (traded in for MY)...but never really got to test them as I got them in April and mostly drove them in dry summer.

I’m here with the exact same dilemma. I booked an appointment at kaltire for Wednesday and chose the Michelin x-ice over the Nokian r5 strictly by brand and tire tread pattern. It looks like it’ll handle our wet Vancouver climate better. Snow and ice performance is actually secondary in my opinion for us. We’re 90% cold and wet vs really cold and snow/icy…
haha so i ended up ordering the r5's against my own advice. at the end of the day they are both probably top tier winter tires for the price with a slight edge to michelin's on wet performance and r5's on snow. given weather trends I'm guessing we'll start seeing more snow in vancouver versus big rain storms in the winter time but we shall see.

either way I think we'll both be happy with our purchase!

Does anyone know the difference between Nokia R5 and R5 EV? The EV one isn't in stock for the 19" MY size and it is more expensive.
the ev version has foam insulation to make it quieter but even without the foam insulation it's already quieter than the michelins.

Reactions: arbitrage000