Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Half shaft and jack shaft - considered to be part of the drive unit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've had my Model X for almost 13 months, and I have driven almost 40k miles in that time.

Last year, I took her in to service due to a problem with shuddering under acceleration. They replaced the half shafts and the shudder went away.

I just got her back from service today where they replaced the half shafts and jack shaft again because of acceleration shudder. The problem happened again after about 30k miles.

They didn't bother to diagnose root cause, they just slapped new parts on and called it a day. The shudder is gone again, for now, but...

I'm worried that it will happen again 30k miles from now (around March of 2019, given my driving habits), and again around December of 2019, and again 30k after that.

If this stuff is part of the "drive unit", then I'll be covered for 8 years/unlimited miles. If not, then it's covered only 4 years/50k miles (e.g. September 2018 for me).

If I buy the extended warranty, I'll be covered until about December of 2019. After that, if it happens again, I have to foot the bill. And I'm not ok with that.

Has anybody worked with Tesla on this? Is there any clarity in terms of how these shafts are classified from a warranty perspective?

I suppose I could go the lemon law route, but that won't cover the tinting, PPF, chrome delete, and other extras that I had done to her. In my mind, there really is no reason why this isn't something that can't be truly fixed on my car, if I can get them to do more than just install new parts.

Having had half shafts replaced near 20,000 miles (and having been told with a new design/manufacturer at that) after shuddering started near 10,000 miles, and now with them shuddering again at less than 35,000 miles, a happy camper not am I either.

Will be interested to hear how this does or does not get resolved.

• Informative
Reactions: DaddyP713
They told me that they are installing parts from a new manufacturer this time. I don't believe them, but even if it was true, it sounds like it's not really going to fix it.

They tried to tell me that this happens because I drive with the suspension set to "normal" instead of "low". I told them that I have it set to low always, based on their recommendation when I bought the car. Clearly trying to deflect from it being a manufacturing or design defect. That doesn't sit well with me.

Thanks for the link! Based on this, it sounds like the new parts aren't available yet, so they misled me on yet another thing.

But hopefully the new parts really will become available soon and I can get them installed the next time this happens.

I'm at 15K miles and in need of my 3rd set of half-shafts. They would have been changed more often, but the parts aren't available. The car has had the shudder for more than 80% of the mile on it. I'm very discouraged. This is a MX 75D with mostly highway miles on it and I'm getting tired of the service reps telling me I'm a "spirited" driver. I often reply that I spent six figures on a Tesla with legendary industry changing acceleration... that can't accelerate without shaking to bits. I can't even imagine what's happening to the P models.

Call Tesla support and tell them your situation and that you know this is a manufacturers defect and that you want to make sure that once the permanent fix is out, you won't be charged. A few others have gotten the word from Tesla that they will be covered with the permanent fix even if the part is available after they are out of warranty, but you HAVE to talk to them BEFORE your out of warranty. Be strong with your concerns.

And to answer your original question of the thread...no, the halfshafts and jack shaft are NOT part of the drive warranty. I would definitely give Tesla a call and get on the "covered" list for the upcoming fix. And don't take no for an answer. I wouldn't keep the X a day past warranty if mine wasn't permanently fixed or guaranteed to be on their dime. Rumor has is that the repair is around $4K if you are paying cash. Screw that.

• Informative
Reactions: DaddyP713
I see reduced acceleration rate from stop to 60 mph after the 2018.26 3bbd9fd. Seems like taking more than 4.7 secs more like 6 secs even when the suspension is set to low. Anyone experiencing this? Is it a temporary solution to address shudder issue?

Not for me. New half shafts and jackshaft at the last service, 2018.26.2, X90D, acceleration is still brutally quick in Low and Very Low. Haven't tried the higher settings, though.