Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Halfshaft - rear drive unit (CV boot)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Wanted to see if any if you have had your rear CV boot replaced on your MY? My MYLR has 28k miles and as I was rotating my tires, I saw a lot of grease outside of the CV boot. Made an appointment with the service center and they replaced it under warranty.

Seems like 28k miles is premature for CV boot to be replaced. Curious how common this is.

Hi all,

Wanted to see if any if you have had your rear CV boot replaced on your MY? My MYLR has 28k miles and as I was rotating my tires, I saw a lot of grease outside of the CV boot. Made an appointment with the service center and they replaced it under warranty.

Seems like 28k miles is premature for CV boot to be replaced. Curious how common this is.
CV boots live a hard life. To have one in four leak after 28k miles is not unusual in my experience - thirty years in fixed operations of a GM dealership. They were a common service item for our customers, both within the warranty, and out. Glad to hear Tesla addressed it for you quickly under their warranty. The others may last much longer, or may not. Not to worry, IMHO. Just enjoy your car. :)

This gets me to thinking. On my ICE cars issues like this are usually discovered by my mechanic when I get my oil changed. Since there are no scheduled services on a Tesla, can you request the service center to do an inspection. Check things like brake pads, shocks/struts, CV joints.