Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Halting Schedule Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My '21 Y is scheduled to receive a software update today...the problematic software U11 version. How do I prevent it from happening? I can keep adjusting the clock schedule but is there a better way?

Software updates often include safety and efficiency improvements. Don't just focus on what you consider problematic because of forum posters.
First of all, ignore this guy ^^^^. Many of the changes in this AWFUL v11 update are, themselves, safety hazards as is well explained in numerous threads on here. If you want to hold off on installing it while they address the numerous safety hazards this version introduces, that should be within your right.

Important note: Eventually, a service tech may point out the Tesla warrantee terms and conditions forces us to eventually accept updates because they can sometimes fix broken stuff, but I have yet to have service refused when I'e held off on accepting updates in the past. And there's nothing reported to be in this awful mess of an update that fixes any safety or performance issues.

Secondly, if you keep hitting "Cancel" on the touchscreen in the vehicle, my experience has been that it will eventually stop asking you for a while. I think it's after twenty times or something like that.

Thirdly, make sure you're on the "Standard" and not the "Advanced" software update channel in the vehicle (under Software settings).

Fourth, turn off WiFi in the vehicle and remove/forget all saved WiFi networks to minimize the opportunities for it to connect. Tesla can still "push" it over the LTE mobile/cellular networks, but no need to make it easy for them. They don't often do the "push" in my experience. There are threads on here that claim they limited the use of software "pushes" over cellular networks to rural/remote areas, but that may have changed.

Fifth, to minimize the chances of accidentally accepting the install, you can ask your local Tesla Service Center to delete any downloaded updates that have been "staged" for install but not yet installed. I made a huge point about the safety hazards in a previous update (and really was VERY angry with the changes in last years holiday update), and they actually agreed to delete it for me before install. They can do it remotely. They typically warn you about the warrantee issue after one does this a few times.

In the meantime, let's hope Tesla recognizes their major screw up with this mess and starts fixing it. Elon Musk himself tweeted about this in response to a complaint about it on Twitter a couple of days ago.