TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hampton Inn - Valet Experience - Columbus Ohio

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by ibcs, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ibcs

ibcs Member

Stayed at the Hampton Inn Columbus Ohio this weekend and had a great experience with the Valet parking. I called ahead and they offered no EV charging at the hotel. I asked if they had a regular 110 outlet. They said sure, but would that charge a electric car?

Jason helped me out. First he moved a car the car that was near the 110 outlet and said I could drive the Model S to that spot. Said it was his first Model S and he preferred I park it myself. Plugged in at 3 PM and left the next day at 11:30 AM. Added 56 miles via a 108V 12 Amp circuit. Not very impressive, but it's cold in Ohio about 16 degrees and I was concerned with low temps I'd loose miles overnight. I average 2.7 miles per hour of charge, but now sitting at 223 miles for a 75 mile ride home. I used 100 miles worth of charge on the way to the hotel due to wet roads and cold temperatures. Averaged 370 wh/mile driving 70 MPH average.

I'm sure I would have made it back, but just having a 110V outlet gave me slow but sure recharge.

Valet staff were so nice to accommodate - hats off to them.

---Kent

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Great example on how we can all raise EV awareness. I've never had a hotel deny me a 110 outlet - and it's always led to great conversations about installation of an EVSE for attracting customers. Show them how they will show up on different iPhone apps, etc.

Nice job, Kent. Another hotel with a little exposure to EVs.

3. ibcs

ibcs Member

Final Notes to a great trip - 174 miles - 71.7 kw Used - 410 wh/mile temperature it was between 15 - 20 degrees. Could have made the trip without the valet hospitality, but the extra charge made it a comfortable drive home. I did do a Range Charge at the start of the trip. Ended up going shopping and found a blink charger and topped off Standard charge and had 102 miles remaining when pulling into the garage.

4. Rifleman

Rifleman Now owns 2 Model S's!!!

Any time we find a place that is able to accommodate EV charging, we should add it to plug share (even if it is just a 120v outlet) In our region, the charging map is still pretty barren, so every little bit helps.

5. dave

dave Member

+1

I'm going to be making a lot of trips to Columbus for work in the upcoming months. So any info from there will be appreciated. I'll have to scope out some hotels and any public chargers available...

6. ibcs

ibcs Member

Easton Town Center has a Blink charger that is 208v x 30 Amps. It's a public charger at the East Parking Garage by the door. A Volt and my car were charging that day. If you get the free Blink membership you can charge at the rate of $1 per hour which is .14 cents. Not free, but not outrageous either.

I will add the Hampton to Plug Share with instructions. Charging in Ohio is pretty scarce.