Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hand car wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys. Ive had my white 2022 MYP for about 3 weeks now and i want to give it a hand car wash at home. Do you guys know if theres any specific soap or cleaning solutions i should use to clean the exterior and interior? also, i have paint protection film on the full front end.

Thanks!

Anything you want. There’s thousands of products and they all do the same thing. Go to you local store or Amazon and buy whatever you want. 100 responses will give you 100 different products. Some will say to use the two bucket method some will say 10 buckets. It literally does not matter.

...car wash at home...

Any generic car wash liquid and car wax should be fine. That's what I've been doing for multiple decades for gasoline cars as well as for Tesla for the past 10 years.

The tricky part is when you have hard water and if you don't dry your car immediately, white marks are formed when the water is dried on its own. If that is the case, use any generic "wash and wax" liquid and that would reduce those white calcium blotches.

Either way, I would still use a generic wax after the above.

Last edited:
Any generic car wash liquid and car wax should be fine. That's what I've been using for multiple decades for gasoline cars as well as for Tesla for the past 10 years.

The trick part is when you have hard water and if you don't dry your car immediately, white marks are formed when the water is dried on its own. If that is the case, use any generic "wash and wax" liquid and that would reduce those white calcium white blotches.

Either way, I would still use a generic wax after the above.
Appreciate the response! Thanks for the tip

Hey guys. Ive had my white 2022 MYP for about 3 weeks now and i want to give it a hand car wash at home. Do you guys know if theres any specific soap or cleaning solutions i should use to clean the exterior and interior? also, i have paint protection film on the full front end.

Thanks!
If you are under water restrictions in your area you will want to become familiar with Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Wash & Shine and Wax & Shine products. If the vehicle is not too filthy, dirty you can wash the entire vehicle, including the exterior glass with one bucket, 2 gallons of water and 2 oz of the ONR. A small spray bottle filled with the ONR + water solution helps presoak the dirtiest panels. Use either a cross-cut sponge (see Amazon) or else a stack of microfiber cloths that you will use to wipe down a section at a time, folding over the cloth as you go and starting with a clean microfiber cloth for the next panel section of the vehicle. You will want to place a good quality grit guard in the bottom of the bucket. (Chemical Brothers is a good choice for a quality grit guard if you use their wash bucket.) See Youtube for videos that demonstrate the correct technique for using the ONR and other no rinse auto wash products.

Reactions: NJX3tomY
Just did a wash video of my process, the products I used are in the description, also PPF'd & ceramic coated:
That looks like my car. I use a Ohuhu Car Wash Foam Gun (Amazon $28) and remove the canister after soaping and hose it down with the nozzle and then wipe with microfiber towels. With PPF and a ceramic coating, it takes 15-20 minutes and no scrubbing. The foam gun is awesome. It's almost as much fun as a pressure washer.

Reactions: a-Sarkar
That looks like my car. I use a Ohuhu Car Wash Foam Gun (Amazon $28) and remove the canister after soaping and hose it down with the nozzle and then wipe with microfiber towels. With PPF and a ceramic coating, it takes 15-20 minutes and no scrubbing. The foam gun is awesome. It's almost as much fun as a pressure washer.
Very nice! Depending on how dirty, I'd still recommend a hand wash after the initial foam/soap wash (unless your whole car is PPF'd) cause it can still cause micro scratches/swirls in the ceramic coat just for reference. Definitely agree, foam guns/cannons definitely spice up the car wash!

I like a clean, shiny car that's protected from the elements, birds, and bugs, but don't want to spend a lot of time doing it or need to use anything but a sponge or towel.

I use a trio of Griot's Garage products: Ceramic Wash & Coat (two-bucket method), Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax (twice a year, two coats, wait 12 hours between coats and exposing to the elements), and Ceramic Speed Shine to remove bugs and bird droppings between washes and to provide an extra coat of protection when I have time after a wash. All products are forgiving when applied and a reapplication to an area that didn't turn out right usually solves the problem.

IMO, this is a good place to start. You can always try more elaborate processes and equipment if this doesn't get you where you want.