TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hand Control for a Wheelchair guy?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by UncaNed, Mar 7, 2018.

1. UncaNed

UncaNed Member

Somebody with a Hand control on their Model X please tell me which side it's set up on and what brand and model hand control and how it works for you?? I need some advice.

Local hand control place recommends left side control, but I'd like that hand free for the touch screen.

I have full use of my arms and hands. Please let me know ASAP.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy Member

• Informative x 1
  3. UncaNed

UncaNed Member

@kiwiguy, so you have one of these Guidosimplex controls in your Model X? Just checking, since the video shows a model S, not X.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy Member

I only have a hand brake from Guido Simplex on the left, but then I'm in US (left hand drive).

Also have used Pedal Master as a temporary solution.
    Peddle Master – get behind the wheel with handicap driving aids

A word of caution that the wrong setup may cancel AutoPilot when braking if any pressure is detected on a pedal.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy Member

I had the Guido installed on a RAV4 EV which is being moved my X at the end of the month.

They will need to disable movement of the steering column.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Have you reached out to Tesla? They may have a way to implement that functionality.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy Member

With regenerative braking you can almost drive with just the accelerator, so put the brake on the opposite side of how you hold the steering wheel spinner. Unless it will hit the touch screen.

8. UncaNed

UncaNed Member

So if I had to have a hand control on the right, would that be very problematic, making it very hard or impossible to use the touch screen?

You've been extremely helpful, @kiwiguy, I'm starting to understand now. I'm in the US too. I don't use a spinner...

And I'm reaching out to Tesla too.

9. UncaNed

UncaNed Member

#9 UncaNed, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    WOOPS. I am in US, hand control place recommends RIGHT side hand control. That's why I'm worried about how I'm gonna use the touch screen. Sorry I misspoke.

With my current left side control in my old Buick Century, I can hold the steering wheel and hand control with my left hand, so my right hand would be available for a touch screen.

10. kiwiguy

kiwiguy Member

Why are they recommending right hand side? If you already use your left hand then stick with that.

11. WheelLife

WheelLife New Member

I'm a tetraplegic with spinal cord injury after I broke my neck.
    I can stand to get in the car, but my right hand doesn't work. So I have to figure out how to take the chair on my own.
    I'm getting mine upgraded with a steering knob for my left hand and the gas/brake lever on the right.
    Also need to remove the 2-piece of the centre row in the 7 seater X, also designing and building an electric arm to automate the load in / load out movement of the chair in the car.
    All help / ideas appreciated,
    I hope the falcon will give me wings again!
    keep you posted

12. UncaNed

UncaNed Member

@WheelLife, I'm wondering if you've made any progress? I'd love to find a way to remove my second row seat that wouldn't interfere with electronics.

13. vqazi

vqazi New Member

Looks like I found the right thread :)
    I need a wheelchair lift for my 2015 Model S, there is one named TMN robotic arm which is sold by a company in Canada and I need a light weight motorized wheelchair. Has anyone done this?