Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hand Control for a Wheelchair guy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UncaNed

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2015
East coast
Somebody with a Hand control on their Model X please tell me which side it's set up on and what brand and model hand control and how it works for you?? I need some advice.

Local hand control place recommends left side control, but I'd like that hand free for the touch screen.

I have full use of my arms and hands. Please let me know ASAP.

So if I had to have a hand control on the right, would that be very problematic, making it very hard or impossible to use the touch screen?

You've been extremely helpful, @kiwiguy, I'm starting to understand now. I'm in the US too. I don't use a spinner...

And I'm reaching out to Tesla too.

WOOPS. I am in US, hand control place recommends RIGHT side hand control. That's why I'm worried about how I'm gonna use the touch screen. Sorry I misspoke.

With my current left side control in my old Buick Century, I can hold the steering wheel and hand control with my left hand, so my right hand would be available for a touch screen.

Last edited:
I'm a tetraplegic with spinal cord injury after I broke my neck.
I can stand to get in the car, but my right hand doesn't work. So I have to figure out how to take the chair on my own.
I'm getting mine upgraded with a steering knob for my left hand and the gas/brake lever on the right.
Also need to remove the 2-piece of the centre row in the 7 seater X, also designing and building an electric arm to automate the load in / load out movement of the chair in the car.
All help / ideas appreciated,
I hope the falcon will give me wings again!
keep you posted

I'm a tetraplegic with spinal cord injury after I broke my neck.
I can stand to get in the car, but my right hand doesn't work. So I have to figure out how to take the chair on my own.
I'm getting mine upgraded with a steering knob for my left hand and the gas/brake lever on the right.
Also need to remove the 2-piece of the centre row in the 7 seater X, also designing and building an electric arm to automate the load in / load out movement of the chair in the car.
All help / ideas appreciated,
I hope the falcon will give me wings again!
keep you posted

@WheelLife, I'm wondering if you've made any progress? I'd love to find a way to remove my second row seat that wouldn't interfere with electronics.

Looks like I found the right thread :)
I need a wheelchair lift for my 2015 Model S, there is one named TMN robotic arm which is sold by a company in Canada and I need a light weight motorized wheelchair. Has anyone done this?