Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handbrake, Drifting in future?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching Ken Block videos, I would think an electric rear drive car could be perfect for Drifting if the software was optimized for it. Assume a handbrake or similar control would have to be added. The software could control the max wheel rpm.

Will Tesla ever persue such a track mode?

Currently, no auto manufacturer makes drift cars. Some manufacturers build race-ready road racing cars for GT/GT2/GT3 classes, but nothing for a drift competition. However, there are race team/shops that convert cars to be used in the drift competition. I believe it's just a matter of time before you see Tesla drifting at your local event. :)
As previous members mentioned, you will need LSD, tweak in the throttle mapping, hydraulic rear brakes, custom build suspension, etc.
And most importantly, Supercharger at the track. Once you put a Supercharger at the track, you will see Tesla Drifting.

Reactions: docherf
Not saying one way is better but it comes down to technique and the car.

It’s much easier to break traction using a handbrake.

I also find it unnecessary if you know how to properly apply proper weight transfer techniques.

I saw a video someone sent me of an F1(or F3000) in a full sideways drift and these guys do it with just pure weight transfer.

I think the handbrake IMHO is the path to least resistance when it comes to driving skill but Block is one amazing driver...

Reactions: docherf