Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handgun Safe options for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it make sense to store it in a safe?
I mean it takes some time to unlock it and grab it in a street shootout.

If someone is going to carry they need an option to securely store the weapon in the vehicle if they are going in somewhere weapons are not allowed, or if for some reason they are choosing to leve the weapon in the car for some reason.

Obscure storage in reach of the driver's seat is a lot safer than getting out and putting it away in the trunk and potentially being seen and making the car a target for thieves.

The negative views on gun ownership and carrying are based on criminal behavior not the behavior of responsible gun owners.

If someone is going to carry they need an option to securely store the weapon in the vehicle if they are going in somewhere weapons are not allowed, or if for some reason they are choosing to leve the weapon in the car for some reason.

Obscure storage in reach of the driver's seat is a lot safer than getting out and putting it away in the trunk and potentially being seen and making the car a target for thieves.

The negative views on gun ownership and carrying are based on criminal behavior not the behavior of responsible gun owners.

Amazing to me that people don't get this part. Criminals being criminals, doing terrible things with weapons, sour the reputation of responsible gun owners. Something terrible happens and people scream for more laws, forgetting the fact that criminals, by their very definition, break the law.

Baffling.

The saddest part about this infatuation with guns in America is the fact that so many Americans feel that they need one to feel safe.

And they probably wouldn’t feel that way (as much) if there weren’t so many freaking guns on the street in first place.

I’d certainly feel safer in countries that have NO guns and envy their bravery to ban them. But I’m not about to contribute to the problem by owning one.

The saddest part about this infatuation with guns in America is the fact that so many Americans feel that they need one to feel safe.

And they probably wouldn’t feel that way (as much) if there weren’t so many freaking guns on the street in first place.

I’d certainly feel safer in countries that have NO guns and envy their bravery to ban them. But I’m not about to contribute to the problem by owning one.

That those that carry do it because "they need one to feel safe" is a misconception. Beyond that, we have a person trying to get suggestions to help him continue to be a responsible gun owner and instead of useful suggestions he is getting soapboxes. If you don't like firearms, why contribute to the problem by making somebody trying to secure their firearm wade through political commentary to accomplish that.

I wouldn't consider the pin protected glove box secure enough for firearm storage.
I wonder how hard it would be to reinforce the glove box. You'd have to have a glovebox door you could tear apart to study and have a good idea of the surrounding dash structure. I did this in another car years back and the result was about as strong as most portable lock boxes. Of course it was easier as I was able to go to a wrecking yard to get a couple of doors and also study the structure of the surrounding structure.

I wonder how hard it would be to reinforce the glove box. You'd have to have a glovebox door you could tear apart to study and have a good idea of the surrounding dash structure. I did this in another car years back and the result was about as strong as most portable lock boxes. Of course it was easier as I was able to go to a wrecking yard to get a couple of doors and also study the structure of the surrounding structure.

My car is actually in service right now for delivery defects. Among them is a misaligned dashboard. The tech said he is going to have to disassemble everything in the area to be able to re-align it. I will ask him for his opinion on being able to reinforce the glovebox next week when I pick my car up.

Reactions: Nakk
Oh my. Uhm, what would Jesus do? Carrying a gun around makes you braver/dumber than you need to be. There are gun accidents. If you ever use it, even if you "win" you open yourself up to a nightmare of criminal and civil litigation. I'd leave the gun home. Or not buy it in the first place.

Again, your soapbox is doing nothing to help the original poster. If you really want to help then educate yourself on firearm security so when these types of questions get asked you can help someone trying to do the right thing make their firearm safer.

I will agree with you on one front, that when a firearm has to be used there are no winners. The results of using a firearm in self defense is an incredible burden to carry and most firearm owners pray they never actually have to use them.

As a gun owner, 2A Advocate and owner of the largest Washington based firearms forum, I had the same issue with the MX, and feel uniquely qualified to give an answer.

Where, when I do disarm (rarely), do I safely store my firearm? One item I found is the Vaultek coupled with the security cable under the seat can be extremely secure. No gun safe is meant to keep all forms of intrusion out, it's meant to buy time. Criminals, while exposed, don't want to spend tons of time attempting to remove or enter a hardened target. While the allure of the forbidden fruit is there, they want in and out, soft targets. Don't leave valuables out, don't entice a prowler, and if you do leave a firearm in your vehicle, secure it to the best of your ability.

Fun fact, the false floor in a 5-seater MX, where the 3rd row goes is a nice area to lay down some moly and velcro and make a nice rolling bug-out kit.

That those that carry do it because "they need one to feel safe" is a misconception. Beyond that, we have a person trying to get suggestions to help him continue to be a responsible gun owner and instead of useful suggestions he is getting soapboxes. If you don't like firearms, why contribute to the problem by making somebody trying to secure their firearm wade through political commentary to accomplish that.

I didn't start the discussion on the merits of owning a gun.

But others are chiming in to consider the easiest solution to his problem. Don't carry a gun at all !!!

Problem solved.

Next.

Oh my. Uhm, what would Jesus do? Carrying a gun around makes you braver/dumber than you need to be. There are gun accidents. If you ever use it, even if you "win" you open yourself up to a nightmare of criminal and civil litigation. I'd leave the gun home. Or not buy it in the first place.

They believe they are perfect humans and because of that, accidents or poor judgement (remember, they are perfect), will never happen.
They are responsible citizens and have been trained. So therefore, they are perfect. Despite the statistics, they won't be one.
They don't believe they will age, degrade in reflexes or judgement as they age, they will have a gun by their bedside on their last breath.
They are immune to any kind of mental health or mental illness due to genes, environment, aging or stress.
They also believe they have perfect anger management.
They believe they can out shoot thugs that probably use their guns more regularly, why, because they are perfect.

That is their logic and there is no convincing them otherwise.

They are incredible human beings. Dumb? Nah.

I would never own a gun, because I know, for a fact, that I am a flawed and imperfect human being. Or am I the dumb one?

To those of you bashing gun ownership and the potential for accidents I suppose you are not actually car owners because cars are a potentially dangerous tool too.

The person asking here for a safe lock box solution is not the person who ends up a statistic. They are not the thug on the street with an illegal gun and they aren't grossly irresponsible leaving a legal gun where it falls into the wrong hands. The point of the thread is about finding a product to maintain responsibility and increase security.

Gun accidents happen due to ignorance, we teach everyone not to play with power saws, stick objects in electrical receptacle, don't play with matches, don't play with kitchen knives, but then let mystery hang over guns and curious or ignorant people/kids mishandle them. Education is the answer not confiscation.

What happens when you have to make an unexpected stop at a restricted place? Or a particular store has a posted policy against weapons?

I have never had a CCW permit but still can see having available storage in the car.
Even something like one spouse having CCW but the other not, if the permit holder wants to run into a store and leave the weapon, a lock box can ensure the remaining spouse is not in violation of laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.