Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handgun Vault or Safe for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started a conversation about this in mid-October. The thread no longer permits replies, so I’ll start a second one. I have discovered the following from the thread which I hope will be helpful to others with the same question:

1. Those who were trying to be helpful supplied real information.
2. Many just wanted to be political, which wasn’t helpful in getting to the bottom of the issue. There are times when, if you are transporting a weapon for whatever reason, and if you have a CCW license or similar, you cannot take the weapon with you and must leave it in the car. A responsible owner will want that weapon to be secured as best as possible and still readily available if needed. For those who are anti-gun save your politics and advice for a different forum please. In New Mexico (where I’m from) even Democrats are pro-gun.
3. A couple of the valid suggestions included types of vaults that fit under the seat. One of them is made from aluminum (or seemingly so - it’s a bit confusing from the website for Heevyn). I wouldn’t use an aluminum key-based safe for this; I need a steel large gauge (e.g. 12 or 14) to make the vault less accessible to an opportunistic thief.
4. The key or electronic/biometric vaults that simply sit under the seat with a cable (I have one already that I used in another car before I got my Tesla) slides about too much and isn’t easily accessible.
5. My recommendation after searching: the Hornady Rapid Vehicle Safe (RAPiD® Vehicle Safe - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc). This isn’t perfect - it takes a couple of inches away from the driver-side or passenger side width legroom. But it is easy to use with an RFID for quick access if needed, and holds a single handgun securely. They could do some refinements regarding access and smoother interior surfaces, but it is sufficient for now, secure, and accessible.
6. Don’t think you can anchor something into the floor under the driver’s seat, for example, as the batteries are too close to the floor to be safe in attempting to do so.

Hope this is helpful. Any other product suggestions are welcome.

Glove box has pin code.... aside from that, sneaky pete holster goes with me just about everywhere. When I'm not wearing it, it is in the map pocket of drivers' door.

We really don't care how you don't do it in Canada. Le'ts stay on topic here about a USA specific issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I just ordered my Model Y and was looking for this information. I always have a handgun in my car.

I’m as liberal as the day is long and do think our politics about guns is freaking crazy and actually support licensing, mandatory training, wait periods, deep background checks, etc. I know that I’d pass and most of the gun owners I know would likewise.

Here is why I have a handgun in my car. Two years ago my wife wounded a deer with her Ford Escape (and did $5k damage to her car at the same time). It was late evening on a deserted road (I live in rural Montana). The deer was obviously not going to make it and not going to die from it’s wounds anytime soon. It took two of us to straddle her and get her still enough and I had to slit her throat with a small pocket knife. It took multiple tries as the knife wasn’t big enough for this purpose. It was awful. I don’t think I could have done it alone as she was still alive and in considerable pain. When finished I loaded her up in the cargo area and went home. When home I got a salvage tag from FWP and butchered her that night in the garage. It’s not the first road kill we’ve eaten.

I keep a small 9mm pistol in all of our cars since that night. Judge if you will, but I’m researching secure gun safes for my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.