Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Handgun Vault or Safe for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I'm a firearm instructor out of Colorado and own a defense store. I'd recomend console vault it latterly turns your center console into a 12ga safe. I'm waiting for locker down to also release a tesla model center console vault as they offer electronic keypad console vaults and biometric. But for now the console combo vault in 12 ga is a great solution.

• Helpful
Reactions: mrwug
I carry all the time after the shooting happened here in El Paso. I carry a Sig P365x w/ 12 round mag with another 15 round mag in belt. I do have a vaultek life pod case chained under the drivers seat in the rare case I need to leave the gun in the car.

I figure if a break in happens more like attention will be at the glovebox and console and less under the seat. But the cable wouldn’t be too hard to break.

I figure if a break in happens more like attention will be at the glovebox and console and less under the seat. But the cable wouldn’t be too hard to break.
I'm guessing a 12" Stanley Wonder Bar would likely liberate that Console Vault with 2 screws into (plastic?) fairly easily. It'll stop a casual smash and grab in all likelihood but so would keeping it locked in the frunk right?

I'm guessing a 12" Stanley Wonder Bar would likely liberate that Console Vault with 2 screws into (plastic?) fairly easily. It'll stop a casual smash and grab in all likelihood but so would keeping it locked in the frunk right?
Yeah that’s why I didn’t go for the console vault.

Frunk could work but I like to minimize revealing any moment outside the car where a gun is visible. But again, it’s very rare that I leave my gun in the car. And more of a safety to keep it locked up to protect against my young kids more than I care about getting it stolen.

The vaultek lifepod is also nice for traveling since I can easily carry it in to my hotel room and keep it bedside but also keep it secured and safe with kids in the room.

Hey guys I'm a firearm instructor out of Colorado and own a defense store. I'd recomend console vault it latterly turns your center console into a 12ga safe. I'm waiting for locker down to also release a tesla model center console vault as they offer electronic keypad console vaults and biometric. But for now the console combo vault in 12 ga is a great solution.
Was waiting for them to release for the Model Y. Ordered last night, they have 20% off right now.

47ED9BA3-7C97-44F0-AC4F-B8703A50EB11.jpeg
9B35DF0E-2B3C-4CFF-A87A-1C9852BA8BDD.jpeg
6E2CBC92-4AEB-42FE-BC73-2BE900A32204.jpeg
9468CD47-B638-4B0A-A4B1-69AEFBC42BDD.jpeg
188D7BAB-6C46-4644-8682-14C26F8C0DAE.jpeg

I just installed a Console Vault in my Model 3 which is the same as the Model Y if you own the pre-refreshed model. This company actually makes the OEM safes for Ford also. I documented my installation and the owner gave me a discount code anyone can use to get 10% off any of their safes!

Reactions: laservet
Where are you planning to mount that?
There is a spot near the sliding console box near the drivers seat. There are no electronics there and you can bolt it. The other area that is possible is under the driver’s seat but I prefer for it to be slightly more accessible. It’s basically a holster for my EDC and not meant to be a permanent place to store the pistol.

There is a spot near the sliding console box near the drivers seat. There are no electronics there and you can bolt it. The other area that is possible is under the driver’s seat but I prefer for it to be slightly more accessible. It’s basically a holster for my EDC and not meant to be a permanent place to store the pistol.
If you don’t mind can you please post a picture of it once you have it mounted?

I don’t own a gun, so no personal experience but I have a few observations reading through this thread -
First, what are your goals? How important is security vs convenience?
Anything can get hacked, picked or broken, given enough time.

The glovebox with a PIN is quick, easy & cheap and will prevent a smash & grab. If someone’s breaking in to your, I wouldn’t worry about the hack posted above; they’ll just take a pry bar and pop the glovebox open that way.

A plain lockbox under the seat would work - you could fairly easily secure it with a cable to the seat rail.

The frunk is going to be more secure. If you want added security, it’s possible to use one of the bolts to bolt a box or a cable to the frame. If you put the bolt through the inside of the box it will be nearly impossible to get the box out.

The console vault is probably the best combination of security and convenience. If someone has physical access to your car for a period of time they’ll clearly be able to break in, but that’s the case with everything. for the vast majority of situations it should be plenty secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.